Mike Leach now in the SEC

steeleagle

At least he'll have the balls to call out the Updykes and other teams on their bull****.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Wish Auburn's BOT and Greene had hired Mike Leach instead of giving Gus that 7 million a year for 7 years.

We would still lose at least 4 games a year. But the press conference would be much better, I'll give you that. 

1 hour ago, TigerOne said:

does that add another loss for Auburn. Our secondary is gonna get lit up.

Gus is 4-3 vs MSU coaches, I'm sure he'll handle a Pirate.😉

9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

So is Auburn...

Well, say what you will about Auburn, but that's just kinda untrue. We won more than eight three times in the last seven years. About 40% of the time, we're above that 7- or 8-win mark. Other than Mullen's crazy four-year run (three 9-win or greater seasons in four year), State has banged out a grand total of one 9-win season in the 2000s.

I know poo-pooing Malzahn is all the rage (I do it all the time), but it's not the same as State. For Auburn 7- or 8-win seasons happen, but they are the low points with high points coming about every 4-5 years. For State, again, outside of Mullen's crazy run which was unprecedented in school history, 8-wins are the high points.

I like the hire, but Dan Mullen is a better coach. State improved over Moorhead and still falls short of where they were with Mullen. 

1 hour ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

The SEC West officially has a sitcom cast for coaches. Nick Saban is Ron Swanson. Whoever the Arkansas coach is would probably equate to a character that gets written off after a season or two. 

A little fun with this premise of yours

Characatures for each coach

Leach = Ron White (Blue Collar Comedy Tour)

Saban = Red from the 70's Show

Kiffin = Daniel Stern (Home Alone)

Orgeron = The Family Guy Dad

Gus = John C. Riley (Step Brothers)

Jimbo = Mr. Magoo

If any of you gifers want to add gifs to this; feel free

Leach will be entertaining and fun.  Great hire for State. You better plan on scoring 50 if you want to beat them.

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Our division is ******* ludicrous

Orgeron

Saban

Kiffin

Fischer

Malzahn

Leach

Arkansas need to move out

It'd be perfect if Arky just hired Ric Flair. 

If Alabama can hire Saban, Ole Miss hire Kiffin, A&M hire Fisher and Miss. State hire Leach and LSU hires coach O, then Auburn can afford to go out and hire Mario Christabol after they get rid of Malzahn after the 2020 season.

15 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

Jimbo = Mr. Magoo

Orgeron has to be Shrek!   DAY5: we had a cute Shrek-athon and watched Shrek 1 & 2. I dressed up as the ugly step sister. So much green eyeshadow :D Disney Pixar, Walt Disney, Disney Movies, Dreamworks Movies, Dreamworks Animation, Animation Movies, Burro Do Shrek, Shrek Donkey, Lord Farquaad                  image.jpeg

13 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

Orgeron has to be Shrek!   DAY5: we had a cute Shrek-athon and watched Shrek 1 & 2. I dressed up as the ugly step sister. So much green eyeshadow :D Disney Pixar, Walt Disney, Disney Movies, Dreamworks Movies, Dreamworks Animation, Animation Movies, Burro Do Shrek, Shrek Donkey, Lord Farquaad                  image.jpeg

That works too.

43 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

I like the hire, but Dan Mullen is a better coach. State improved over Moorhead and still falls short of where they were with Mullen. 

Well, yeah. Mullen shattered their ceiling, so it's unlikely they're going to get back there soon. But Leach is that guy that can get lucky with a good QB and beat the other doormats and get the occasional win against a blue blood. Give him a Chad Kelly or a Ryan Mallet and he might go full pirate from time to time. 

Or at least he has been that guy. Certainly no guarantees that he can still work his magic, or that he can do it in the SEC. 

53 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Well, say what you will about Auburn, but that's just kinda untrue. We won more than eight three times in the last seven years. About 40% of the time, we're above that 7- or 8-win mark. Other than Mullen's crazy four-year run (three 9-win or greater seasons in four year), State has banged out a grand total of one 9-win season in the 2000s.

I know poo-pooing Malzahn is all the rage (I do it all the time), but it's not the same as State. For Auburn 7- or 8-win seasons happen, but they are the low points with high points coming about every 4-5 years. For State, again, outside of Mullen's crazy run which was unprecedented in school history, 8-wins are the high points.

Gus has won more than 8 games a year. Gus has also won less than 9 games a year. As far as hyperbole goes, what Bird said was extremely tame and not really worthy of dissection. 

28 minutes ago, api1957 said:

It'd be perfect if Arky just hired Ric Flair. 

Good thought. It really doesn't matter who Arky hires anyway. With Ric Flair as coach our media days and press conferences would by far be the most entertaining.

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

Our division is ******* ludicrous

Orgeron

Saban

Kiffin

Fischer

Malzahn

Leach

Arkansas need to move out

That's not a coaching lineup, that's a Jerry Springer episode

1 hour ago, mcgufcm said:

He's entertaining as hell, but State is going to continue to be a 7- or 8-win program. I don't see how Leach changes that. State is the functional equivalent of a Texas Tech or a Wazzou but with tougher competition. He beat 8-wins at Wazzou twice. He's had three seasons ever with fewer than four losses. That's in 18 years coaching. It's not like he just traded up in terms of talent relative to his competition. 

Again, entertaining, but he's gonna keep doing what he's done. 4- or 5-loss seasons with as many 7+ loss years as 3-loss years. Nothing about this really moves the needle for State or changes how Auburn views them. It might put them close to where they were with Mullen (a better coach than Leach), which is solidly fourth to sixth in the West with an occasional jump up to second or third every decade.

The big difference is now he is surrounded by a plethora of high school talent.   At TTU he had talent also, but not on the level of the SEC.  You can't drive 30-45 minutes without finding a high school with talent in this region.  

"there has been a shift in the force"

on another note:

Gus better figure out how to score points in EVERY GAME now with Kiffen and Leach in Mississippi!!

This dumb stuff about being predictable and playing less creative against the Miss schools ain't gonna get us a win. He can't save the playbook for bama every year like he does now.

I sure hope Chad Morris is our "Joe Brady", I really do.    And I hope he makes his OL hire a homerun for recruiting b/c both those cats can recruit.   If I were Gus, I would look at WR coach real hard tomorrow also.

2 minutes ago, Beaker said:

The big difference is now he is surrounded by a plethora of high school talent.   At TTU he had talent also, but not on the level of the SEC.  You can't drive 30-45 minutes without finding a high school with talent in this region.  

"there has been a shift in the force"

Are you saying Mississippi is more talent rich than Texas? I'm no expert, but I assume Texas would be more fertile grounds, considering how often schools like Auburn, Alabama, and LSU come in and poach top MS talent.

WOW!!!! Nice counter to Kiffen!

Hope we can step our game up, if not ... 

47 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

Good thought. It really doesn't matter who Arky hires anyway. With Ric Flair as coach our media days and press conferences would by far be the most entertaining.

I know!

Half time interview...Coach Flair, how many touchdowns do you need to turn this game around?

Image result for ric flair gif

1 hour ago, ArgoEagle said:

Jimbo = Mr. Magoo

Saban is definitely Red. Everytime I tried to peg someone for Gus, I kept getting Sheldon Cooper.

If Alabama can hire Saban, Ole Miss hire Kiffin, A&M hire Fisher and Miss. State hire Leach, then Auburn can afford to go out and hire Mario Christabol after that get rid of Malzahn after the 2020 season.

Archived