Mike Leach now in the SEC

steeleagle

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With a rebuilding year coming up and going against those SEC west coaches, Auburn will be darn lucky to win 7 next year.

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

Are you saying Mississippi is more talent rich than Texas? I'm no expert, but I assume Texas would be more fertile grounds, considering how often schools like Auburn, Alabama, and LSU come in and poach top MS talent.

not exactly, but when you consider Miss, AL and northern FL, yeah that is more talent rich that what he was recruiting in Central and West TX.   Remember, TTU  always got those kids that OU, UT and TAMU didn't want.  he was recruiting 'leftovers'.   Graham Harrell and that big receiver would be exceptions to the rule. 

Kids don't grow up in TX wanting to go to TTU.    He is going to have an easier row to hoe at Miss State than TTU I truly believe.

17 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

No way Malzahn can compete year in and year out with the coaches in the SEC west.

Not well enough to get off the hot seat or win 9 games.

Just now, Beaker said:

not exactly, but when you consider Miss, AL and northern FL, yeah that is more talent rich that what he was recruiting in Central and West TX.   Remember, TTU  always got those kids that OU, UT and TAMU didn't want.  he was recruiting 'leftovers'.   Graham Harrell and that big receiver would be exceptions to the rule. 

Kids don't grow up in TX wanting to go to TTU.    He is going to have an easier row to hoe at Miss State than TTU I truly believe.

You may be right, but he will be competing for scraps from the rest of the SECw as well. Don't forget how close Starkville is to Tuscaloosa.

The coaching community in the SEC West is definitely schizophrenic. On one side you have Lane Kiffin, Ed Orgeron and Mike Leach. On the other side Sabin, Fisher, and Malzahn. I’m sure the sports writers think they’ve been giving a Christmas present.

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

Not well enough to get off the hot seat or win 9 games.

Apparently until we get a new President he's safe. Fun times. Not sure when that will be. 

1 hour ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Saban is definitely Red. Everytime I tried to peg someone for Gus, I kept getting Sheldon Cooper.

There is a hilarious gif of Riley that you can pull up where he has a confused, bewildered look on his face. The most hilarious that I have ever seen. That's what made me think of Gus.

1 hour ago, api1957 said:

I know!

Half time interview...Coach Flair, how many touchdowns do you need to turn this game around?

Image result for ric flair gif

Yes!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

No way Malzahn can compete year in and year out with the coaches in the SEC west.

Leach couldn’t even compete in the pac 12 now all of a sudden he’s going to somehow win in the sec west? Man shut up

2 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Are you saying Mississippi is more talent rich than Texas? I'm no expert, but I assume Texas would be more fertile grounds, considering how often schools like Auburn, Alabama, and LSU come in and poach top MS talent.

Haven't been to Lubbock, have you Barnacle?

3 hours ago, api1957 said:

It'd be perfect if Arky just hired Ric Flair. 

They'd have to change from Sooo-eeee Pig to Woooo-eeee pig. 

53 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Haven't been to Lubbock, have you Barnacle?

Last response was tongue and cheek, obviously. I've never been, but can't imagine its that much better than Starkville. I'll take your word for it though! I have no doubt that MSU may be an easier sell than TTU. My response earlier was really to the idea that there was some abundance of recruits in Mississippi that doesn't exist in Texas. Everything I know suggests otherwise, but I'm no expert. 

Leach runs a fun style of offense, so it s always fun to watch his teams play. And he did pull off an 11-win season a few years ago at WSU. HOWEVER, his recruiting has tanked into the 60s and he has become totally non-competitive in the PAC12 in a very short time, which considering the hopeless pit of teams in the PAC12, that's a remarkable achievement in itself.

I think it is pretty clear why his recruiting has fallen into an abyss, and if that continues, he will be popular with the dog fans, but will find recruiting in the SEC equally difficult. And I'm not going to say any more about that. You can figure it out.

I expect Kiffin to pull in the best of the state players who want to stay home, but hope Auburn can lure a few as well.

2 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Last response was tongue and cheek, obviously. I've never been, but can't imagine its that much better than Starkville. I'll take your word for it though! I have no doubt that MSU may be an easier sell than TTU. My response earlier was really to the idea that there was some abundance of recruits in Mississippi that doesn't exist in Texas. Everything I know suggests otherwise, but I'm no expert. 

I don't know Texas HS football as well as Bird, but I know it fairly well.  Just saying there are more 'scraps' within 300-400 miles of Starkville that within 300-400  miles of Lubbock.   

my take on HS football and why U of Texas struggles to compete with the big dogs: 

1.  Culture (not part of this conversation)

2.  Player development - the players recruited in the Deep South are just more raw and have a higher upside.  Many - most (?) of the talent in the TX region are already maximizing the use of 7 on 7,  personal coaching and nutrition.  I have heard this from a D1 coach in TX and he said they have to be cautious gauging upside.  Makes sense and I saw it when my son played a few years ago.   Lots of talent for sure, but - 

Josh Pate has some interesting, in a "I'm gonna throw a little cold water on this", things to say about the Mike Leach hire.  Link is time cued.

14 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Population of the Dallas area alone is more than double that of the entire state of Mississippi.   AND ...what talent that grows up in Miss is picked over by bama, LSU and even Au on occasion.   

JMO but the pirate will never get much more in the way of talent there than did Moorhead...and he does not have the Florida connection that Mullen had.  True he brings some more interest to media day but the good SEC defenses will throttle his air raid offense....JMO   They will be battling Arky to stay out of the cellar.  

Over the last 4 years, MSU has recruited much better than Texas Tech. Like, different zip codes better. 27th vs 46th currently; 24th vs 62nd (!!!) last year. I'm surprised to see that. 

Now, there's also the matter of how they're doing relative to their competition, but that's a slightly different topic. Sure seems that Leach will have a better class of athlete available to him in Starkville than he did in Lubbock. 

Whether or not this works out with MSU, we will just have to see. I find it interesting that MooState fires Moorehead after only 2 years. Apparently the AD didn't like the direction the program was going. I'll give them credit for at least trying to improve, something I can't say for Auburn. 

2 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

I like it already lol

Hep me. So Finebaum asked the question in the first line. And Kiffin responded in the second with 'Leach!!!'?

Archived