Mike Leach now in the SEC

steeleagle

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leach is a showy hire at MSU, but he struggled in the weak PAC12 and his recruiting had fallen to the lowest point ever over the past two years. He won only 54% of his games at WSU, so he had worn out his welcome there and he leaves the cupboard completely empty for his successor.

Kiffin has done a little better, counting his FAU years. I think he will build a more solid program at OM over the next few years than Leach at MSU, maybe become like Mullen was -- respected for doing more with less -- if he has grown up. He certainly pooped his bed at Bama after Saban gave him a second chance. Lost his wife and kids and job. Saban will take special pleasure in pounding OM into the turf every year.

I don't think either hire really affects Auburn much. Auburn occasionally loses to one or the other, but I don't see either program becoming an SEC-W juggernaut.

Classic Leach at his introductory presser...

https://www.gulflive.com/sports/2020/01/mike-leach-ready-to-take-on-nick-saban-gus-malzahn-lane-kiffin-answer-is-classic-leach.html

It was only a matter of time before he was asked the coaches he would face on a yearly basis, including Alabama’s Nick Saban, Auburn’s Gus Malzahn and Ole Miss coach Lane Kiffin.

On Friday, he was asked if he was excited about trading wits with the rest of the SEC West coaches and if that was a reason the job was attractive.

“I like playing against crummy coaches better than really good ones,”

1 hour ago, AURex said:

Leach is a showy hire at MSU, but he struggled in the weak PAC12 and his recruiting had fallen to the lowest point ever over the past two years. He won only 54% of his games at WSU, so he had worn out his welcome there and he leaves the cupboard completely empty for his successor.

Winning 54% at WSU is success. And he had hardly worn out his welcome. They just had extended his contract through 2024...

1 hour ago, AURex said:

Leach is the winningest coach in Texas Tech history.  Leach had 5 winning Big XII records and only 1 losing record. Tuberville had a losing Big XII record in all 3 years he was there. In fact, since Leach left Texas Tech in 2009 they've never had a winning Big XII record.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Leach_(American_football_coach) 2000-2009

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Tuberville 2010-2012

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kliff_Kingsbury 2013-2018

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Wells_(American_football_coach) 2019

Leach is the 3rd winningest coach is Wash St history. Leach took Wash St. to a bowl game his 2nd year in 2013. They hadn't been to a bowl game since 2003. Are people really that unaware of how bad Wash St. was when Leach got there?

Leach finished .500 in the Pac 12. 55-47 (36-36)

Wash St's 2nd winningest coach Mike Price only had 6 winning seasons in 14 years there.  Price finished with a losing Pac 10 record. 83-78 (49-63). Price only won 52% of his games.

Leach may not work out for MSU but Leach's record is not as pathetic as some folks think it is.

9 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Leach finished .500 in the Pac 12. 55-47 (36-36)

Wash St's 2nd winningest coach Mike Price only had 6 winning seasons in 14 years there.  Price finished with a losing Pac 10 record. 83-78 (49-63). Price only won 52% of his games.

Leach may not work out for MSU but Leach's record is not as pathetic as some folks think it is.

Yep and Price came within a half dozen scotch on the rocks of being the coach at bama….😊

The PAC 12 is the weakest overall that it's been in my lifetime.  He's had the advantage of UCLA and USC being awful lately and a couple Az teams that are maybe at the same level as Miss State and then there was Oregon State.      MSU has modest expectations which he may be able to meet but he's picked about the worst possible time to take a coaching job in the SEC.  JMO

On 1/9/2020 at 1:34 PM, Win4AU said:

I may have to take this back but I don’t think Mike Leach in the SEC will work.  Miss State is the perfect school for him to end up at but I  m not worried about him being good on a consistent basis.  Every where he’s been he’s been average or below for the most part with a special season mixed in.  I’m more concerned with Kiffin than Leach.

I agree with you for the most part. Kiffin won't do that well either unless he's grown up a lot. If he has then he could become a tough opponent.

Archived