2021 5* SF Jonathan Kuminga (G League)

GwillMac6

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://247sports.com/Article/Precious-Achiuwa-NBA-Draft-stock-rising-Jon-Kuminga-update-141907057/

ByEVAN DANIELS 
  •  
  •  
  •  

This is a tough question to answer right now. The No. 1 player in the class of 2021, Kuminga put out a list of 10 schools in early November. The list included Duke, Kentucky, Washington, Florida State, Memphis, Texas Tech, Michgian, Georgia, Maryland and Auburn. But there are plenty of questions. Obviously there’s been a lot of talk about him potentially reclassifying, which makes sense. Kuminga doesn’t need another year of high school. In terms of schools, if I was handicapping I’d look at Kentucky and Auburn in the top tier. I know they aren’t on the list, but I wouldn’t count LSU out either. Honestly it’s still quite early here. I don’t think we will see a reclass/college decision from him until after the summer.

Shout out to @Dual-Threat Rigby for alerting me of this information. I had NO IDEA we were in the thick of things this much with him!!!

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I had NO IDEA we were in the thick of things this much with him!!!

Don't think anyone did. Hooks on AUC & JHead on Rivals, 2 of the best connected on basketball posters, haven't mentioned him.

• ellitor changed the title to 2021 5* SF Jonathan Kuminga
1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Shout out to @Dual-Threat Rigby for alerting me of this information. I had NO IDEA we were in the thick of things this much with him!!!

If BP can land him, MAYBE Green, and one of Cliff or this Sotto fella, Im perfectly fine with missing out on Greg Brown and Kessler. I think Kuminga would end up playing the 4 for us if he were to come here anyway, his frame could be Chuma-esque easily 

https://247sports.com/Player/Jonathan-Kuminga-46056391/

"Already at 6-foot-8 with extremely long arms, he is beginning to put his skill game together. Length, athleticism, and versatility are his strengths. Has shown the ability to get into the lane and rebounds well. Is capable of guarding multiple positions, and also blocking shots. Needs to continue to get better with his outside shot, and if that comes he should be nearly impossible to guard. His upside is through the roof, and he is just now beginning to figure out how good he can become. He should hear his name called early in the NBA draft when decides to make that move."

From that player eval to the player comparison to Orlando's Jonathan Isaac, Im liking some of the spooky coincidences to Chuma's own path. I mean if you asked someone to describe younger Chuma Okeke, that piece of text could work word for word. His offense is further ahead though thats the crazy thing 

26 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

If BP can land him, MAYBE Green, and one of Cliff or this Sotto fella, Im perfectly fine with missing out on Greg Brown and Kessler. I think Kuminga would end up playing the 4 for us if he were to come here anyway, his frame could be Chuma-esque easily 

I just want ONE of Jalen Green or Greg Brown. JUST ONE of them. I am not greedy!!!! lol. I do not have a preference. Do not forget E said a crutin expert we are in a good spot for Makur Maker if he does not get his petition granted to be eligible for the NBA Draft for the upcoming 2020 one.

9 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Do not forget E said a crutin expert we are in a good spot for Makur Maker if he does not get his petition granted to be eligible for the NBA Draft for the upcoming 2020 one.

Yep. And if we can only get one one and done type player I would rather it be Makur or Sotto than Green or Brown due to Wiley being gone after this year and we don’t have an established big man presence behind him.

48 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yep. And if we can only get one one and done type player I would rather it be Makur or Sotto then Green or Brown due to Wiley being gone after this year and we don’t have an established big man presence behind him.

We lose Mac next year also which makes a big man even more important. Stretch will be our only big man and he has potential but has a big learning curve. From the little I have seen of Stretch unless he gets better control of his game he will have foul issues so ideally we need a big man who can start and Stretch as a regular backup who can develop his game.

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

We lose Mac next year also which makes a big man even more important. Stretch will be our only big man and he has potential but has a big learning curve. From the little I have seen of Stretch unless he gets better control of his game he will have foul issues so ideally we need a big man who can start and Stretch as a regular backup who can develop his game.

We could use a one and done player, just b/c we will be so so green next year, bc it seems all of these current freshman and transfers are struggling to contribute, especially offensively.  

So far it looks like Flanigan has played the most bc he is the best defender, but his offense looks rough.

JJohnson is the one that can shoot, along w/ Cambridge but so so streaky. I expected a little more contribution from Johnson just bc/ he has played in college a lot more than any of the others.

Akingbola is going to be good on D, and has a lot to learn on how to shoot and score in the post.

So unless we get some grad transfers in, our starters are going to be very young Freshman and sophomores. It will be a rebuilding year for Pearl, not a reloading one. 

24 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

We could use a one and done player, just b/c we will be so so green next year, bc it seems all of these current freshman and transfers are struggling to contribute, especially offensively.  

So far it looks like Flanigan has played the most bc he is the best defender, but his offense looks rough.

JJohnson is the one that can shoot, along w/ Cambridge but so so streaky. I expected a little more contribution from Johnson just bc/ he has played in college a lot more than any of the others.

Akingbola is going to be good on D, and has a lot to learn on how to shoot and score in the post.

So unless we get some grad transfers in, our starters are going to be very young Freshman and sophomores. It will be a rebuilding year for Pearl, not a reloading one. 

Don't underestimate how well Bruce develops these guys. Freshman Harper/Mac/Brown etc were wooorlds different than the soph and junior/senior versions of themselves. 

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

I have no idea who they will be...but i fully expect Pearl to add some very good big men option for us prior to next season. I see potential for a rebuild year but i'm expecting a re-load year as of right now

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

Don't underestimate how well Bruce develops these guys. Freshman Harper/Mac/Br With all my negativityown etc were wooorlds different than the soph and junior/senior versions of themselves. 

The difference is that Harper/Mac/Brown seemed to get a good bit of PT as Freshmen this year Flanagan and Cambridge are getting some minutes , turbo and stretch almost nothing that said we do have the transfer forward coming in next year so he should help. Despite all my negativity I think Coach Pearl will still find a way to reload more than rebuild next year. The real key is getting a big man to replace Wiley and Mac.

2 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

The difference is that Harper/Mac/Brown seemed to get a good bit of PT as Freshmen this year Flanagan and Cambridge are getting some minutes , turbo and stretch almost nothing that said we do have the transfer forward coming in next year so he should help. Despite all my negativity I think Coach Pearl will still find a way to reload more than rebuild next year. The real key is getting a big man to replace Wiley and Mac.

That is a good point about the gobs of PT those kids got as freshmen. Who is the transfer forward? I am drawing a blank. Even with that Bruce is a master developer and I'm looking forward to seeing the young guys grow.

44 minutes ago, Tiger said:

That is a good point about the gobs of PT those kids got as freshmen. Who is the transfer forward? I am drawing a blank. Even with that Bruce is a master developer and I'm looking forward to seeing the young guys grow.

Me too. I don't know of any transfers coming in. Just the 3 players Pearl signed for 2020.

And I agree Pearl is great at developing...I just think that we will take our lumps early on and some in 2020-21 b/c our starters will all be pretty inexperienced b/c they are not starting at all now since our top 6 are so experienced and good. 

It's not like when Pearl brought in Heron, Brown and Harper in that 2 year period. They all played all of the year and were starters. they may have been young but I think they were better than JJohnson, Flanigan, Cambridge, Akingbola, and Turbo.

4 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Me too. I don't know of any transfers coming in. Just the 3 players Pearl signed for 2020.

And I agree Pearl is great at developing...I just think that we will take our lumps early on and some in 2020-21 b/c our starters will all be pretty inexperienced b/c they are not starting at all now since our top 6 are so experienced and good. 

It's not like when Pearl brought in Heron, Brown and Harper in that 2 year period. They all played all of the year and were starters. they may have been young but I think they were better than JJohnson, Flanigan, Cambridge, Akingbola, and Turbo.

Can't disagree with any of this. I'm wondering how Javon Franklin will look too once he puts his awful injury fully behind him. His athleticism jumps off the screen on his highlights but has barely seen the floor this year. I'm wondering if that's who @AuburnNTexas was referring to. 

2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Can't disagree with any of this. I'm wondering how Javon Franklin will look too once he puts his awful injury fully behind him. His athleticism jumps off the screen on his highlights but has barely seen the floor this year. I'm wondering if that's who @AuburnNTexas was referring to. 

YOU CRACKED THE CODE!!!!!!!!! lol. I think that is exactly who he was referring to.

ewew.gif

fdfdfr.gif

3 hours ago, Tiger said:

Don't underestimate how well Bruce develops these guys. Freshman Harper/Mac/Brown etc were wooorlds different than the soph and junior/senior versions of themselves. 

I think Bruce is going after the top tier blue chip prospects and elite targets harder than ever is because he wants to take full advantage of the momentum of the past 2 years.  (AND I MEAN DUH!!! The object is to get the best players that fit your program and culture.) Especially coming off the final four AND MAYBE He knows that guys like Flanagan, Cambridge, Jamal etc are more the role player type then carrying the load and being a star. He is looking for a couple more guys who can carry the team in scoring to surround around COOOOOOOOOP.

10 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I think Bruce is going after the top tier blue chip prospects and elite targets harder than ever is because he wants to take full advantage of the momentum of the past 2 years.  (AND I MEAN DUH!!! The object is to get the best players that fit your program and culture.) Especially coming off the final four AND MAYBE He knows that guys like Flanagan, Cambridge, Jamal etc are more the role player type then carrying the load and being a star. He is looking for a couple more guys who can carry the team in scoring to surround around COOOOOOOOOP.

This makes a lot of sense IMO. Add the 6'7 sniper in Powell to stretch the floor with some of these elite prospects and that could be a very nice mix. What an exciting time. Still feels like I'm dreaming lol

When I saw what difference a year made with MCormick and Doughty it makes me feel like someone out of these freshman will up their game in years 2-3. 

Thats  a good point. I remember when I first saw Doughty play 2 years ago, I thought, this guy is not going to make it as a starter, but last year he played so much better, and his outside shot improved so much.

McCormick really improved down the stretch last year and was a key contributor in the NCAAs. 

So, i agree, it can happen that these role players can become SEC starters for us.

I really wish we had Okoro with us ONE more year. that would give us that experienced STUD in the lineup to work around.

3 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Thats  a good point. I remember when I first saw Doughty play 2 years ago, I thought, this guy is not going to make it as a starter, but last year he played so much better, and his outside shot improved so much.

McCormick really improved down the stretch last year and was a key contributor in the NCAAs. 

So, i agree, it can happen that these role players can become SEC starters for us.

I really wish we had Okoro with us ONE more year. that would give us that experienced STUD in the lineup to work around.

We have Akingbola, that is the experienced STUD (pause) 

Well I stand corrected! I said we’d see freshmen improve a lot in years 2-3, but I’m already seeing great improvement in Flanagan. He’s got good size and build for a freshman and seemed to be way more confident in his play against Georgia. I can see him getting more and more playing time if he keeps it up in away games. Beat Bama 

Archived