2021 5* SF Jonathan Kuminga (G League)

GwillMac6

53 minutes ago, toddc said:

Well I stand corrected! I said we’d see freshmen improve a lot in years 2-3, but I’m already seeing great improvement in Flanagan. He’s got good size and build for a freshman and seemed to be way more confident in his play against Georgia. I can see him getting more and more playing time if he keeps it up in away games. Beat Bama 

Me too. What Flanagan did, came out of nowhere watching the game. He hadn't really shown anything offensively. He's been in there bc he plays good D. total surprise to me.

This is what is needed from some of these Freshman/transfers. That is one reason we were able to continue to frustrate GA w very good D and offense coming from your subs. 

I expect the Freshman to still have ups and downs, so I expect some games they will still disappear from the scoring, but hopefully they have some games like the GA game. We will need it to stay near the top of the SEC and the NCAA.

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/10/2020 at 11:56 AM, Tiger said:

Don't underestimate how well Bruce develops these guys. Freshman Harper/Mac/Brown etc were wooorlds different than the soph and junior/senior versions of themselves. 

Not only is Pearl one of the best at getting the most out of what he has, but we’re talking about potentially having freshmen that are on a whole different level than Harper and co. When they first arrived. Hopefully landing Green or Kuminga might persuade Cliff to come too. I expect to get some decent minutes from the white kid from Kentucky as well. If nothing else, he provides us with a legitimate 3 point shooter that we don’t really have this year. Cambridge should be much improved next year as well, and should be more comfortable with Cooper. Green has developed a decent outside shot as well, if we are fortunate enough to land him. I’ve been big on wanting to get Greg Brown so we have a good scorer that’s not just guards, but I’d much rather get Kuminga if he reclassifies. Chris Moore or Jaylin Williams could provide some offense from that position while Stretch is a rim protector. That’s another reason I would love Cliff too. He would have had the 3rd largest wingspan in the last NBA draft class. 

On another note, I really hope we push hard and get JD Davison in the 2021 class. I would take him over Ruffin any day. He and Cooper would be unstoppable in the same backcourt if Cooper stayed.

46 minutes ago, JT1984 said:

if Cooper stayed.

What is the going thought about Coop being a one and done type? I was under the impression he was more likely to be here for at least a couple of years. Man, I guess I'm going to have to get used to the amount of turnover that comes with being a top tier basketball team these days...

As for Kuminga, I'm encouraged by what I've read about him, more so than I am about Green and Brown. From the little bit I've been able to gather in the last couple of days, he seems our best bet for reeling in a second blue chip player in this class. I've basically given up hope of pulling Brown. If we get Green, Kuminga, and any one of the three centers, I'll be beyond ecstatic.

2 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

What is the going thought about Coop being a one and done type? I was under the impression he was more likely to be here for at least a couple of years. Man, I guess I'm going to have to get used to the amount of turnover that comes with being a top tier basketball team these days...

As for Kuminga, I'm encouraged by what I've read about him, more so than I am about Green and Brown. From the little bit I've been able to gather in the last couple of days, he seems our best bet for reeling in a second blue chip player in this class. I've basically given up hope of pulling Brown. If we get Green, Kuminga, and any one of the three centers, I'll be beyond ecstatic.

In regards to Coop going pro...no one knows. Its mainly assumed he could have the shot just cause he is so highly ranked. We'll have to see how his game translates to college before anyone knows for sure. Based on his size and his game i would expect him to stay a couple seasons. Now if he comes in and lights it up like Trae Young did at OK then all bets are off. 

Right now Coop is on the smaller side of PG at 6' and he is pretty skinny as well. He has amazing bball IQ and is great at setting up team mates. He scores a bunch in HS but a lot of his scoring is based on getting to rim versus a deadly outside shot. At 6' no one is sure how that "get to the rim" ability will translate to the college level. 

2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

What is the going thought about Coop being a one and done type? I was under the impression he was more likely to be here for at least a couple of years.

That's the general thought but with kids you never know.

He seems really slight in stature it will be interesting to see how he does facing D1 defenses. I'm guessing we get 2 years out of him. But I also thought Harper would be here for 4 and Heron would have spent 2-3 years MAX in college.

4 hours ago, Tiger said:

He seems really slight in stature it will be interesting to see how he does facing D1 defenses. I'm guessing we get 2 years out of him. But I also thought Harper would be here for 4 and Heron would have spent 2-3 years MAX in college.

Ditto

• 1 month later...

Didn't see a Kuminga thread so I figured I'd put this year. Rivals national writer Corey Evans said LSU, Texas Tech, and Auburn are the leaders for Kuminga right now.

12 minutes ago, boomstick said:

Didn't see a Kuminga thread so I figured I'd put this year. Rivals national writer Corey Evans said LSU, Texas Tech, and Auburn are the leaders for Kuminga right now.

We have a Kuminga thread. It may be on page 2 now. I’ll move these posts over there when I get home.

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

As the clear #1 player in 2021, has anyone seen where Kuminga would rank if he was reclassified to 2020?

I’ve seen some speculation that he’d be top 3 of you combined this class and the next two, along with Cade Cunningham and Emoni Bates. My guess is he’d be a top 3 guy in the 2020 class with Cunningham and Green, maybe even the top guy. 

16 hours ago, boomstick said:

I’ve seen some speculation that he’d be top 3 of you combined this class and the next two, along with Cade Cunningham and Emoni Bates. My guess is he’d be a top 3 guy in the 2020 class with Cunningham and Green, maybe even the top guy. 

I saw him going top 3 in a draft that had Green at 3 

I know Emoni is supposed to be this quintessential prospect that’s worth tanking for if you have any chance at him so if Kuminga’s in his tier, we gotta divert some of the auburn construction funds to a certain family’s church or however colleges do it now 

• 2 weeks later...

Yaaaaaa boy @Dual-Threat Rigby!!!!!!! Woooooo!!!!! Lfg!!!!!

Screenshot_20200406-150844.png

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Yaaaaaa boy @Dual-Threat Rigby!!!!!!! Woooooo!!!!! Lfg!!!!!

Screenshot_20200406-150844.png

The one thing that always encourages me is that no matter the combination of teams high up for him...Auburn is always right there. I don't want to look too deep into it, but that has to signify something. 

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

The one thing that always encourages me is that no matter the combination of teams high up for him...Auburn is always right there. I don't want to look too deep into it, but that has to signify something. 

Not to be a downer, but it didn’t for Cliff Omoruyi.

54 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

Not to be a downer, but it didn’t for Cliff Omoruyi.

Personally, I never got the feeling we were really in it for big Cliff. With Kuminga, on the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if he picks Auburn, unless Brown picks Auburn. As I just mentioned in another thread, I don't see both of them coming to the Plains.

32 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I never got the feeling we were really in it for big Cliff.

We definitely were. Finished a close 2nd.

3 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Personally, I never got the feeling we were really in it for big Cliff. With Kuminga, on the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if he picks Auburn, unless Brown picks Auburn. As I just mentioned in another thread, I don't see both of them coming to the Plains.

Even though one plays the 4 and the other plays the 5?

Just now, War to the Eagle said:

Actually, Kuminga plays the 3 and Brown is listed as a 4, but Brown's father has indicated they want him used more in the role of a 3. But that's not exactly why I have the feeling that we don't get both of them. I'm not sure exactly what it is, maybe just the overwhelming thought that it would be too good to be true. Either way, I'm certainly far from the most educated about all of this, I'm just talking gut feelings, so don't let me put a damper on your hopes. I, for one, would be ecstatic about getting all four 5 stars who are seriously considering us.

5 hours ago, War to the Eagle said:

Actually more likely one is going to play the three and the other is going play the four.

8 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Actually, Kuminga plays the 3 and Brown is listed as a 4, but Brown's father has indicated they want him used more in the role of a 3. But that's not exactly why I have the feeling that we don't get both of them. I'm not sure exactly what it is, maybe just the overwhelming thought that it would be too good to be true. Either way, I'm certainly far from the most educated about all of this, I'm just talking gut feelings, so don't let me put a damper on your hopes. I, for one, would be ecstatic about getting all four 5 stars who are seriously considering us.

My bad...that's what I meant.

1 hour ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Has Kuminga officially reclassified to 2020?   Sorry if I missed it.  

No. Reclassifying is probably on hold for a number of kids due to the pandemic.

Archived