2021 5* SF Jonathan Kuminga (G League)

GwillMac6

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

(shame Sharife wasted his efforts on that guy................)

Coop recruited his ass off but did not land any of the big fish (unless you consider Thor one) due to the most random and unforeseen thing I have ever seen in recruiting history which is the rise of a league NO ONE FREAKING WATCHES AND CARES ABOUT and honestly some probaly did not even know it existed in the got damn G league and them able to pay obscene amounts of money to these kids.

20 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Coop recruited his ass off but did not land any of the big fish (unless you consider Thor one) due to the most random and unforeseen thing I have ever seen in recruiting history which is the rise of a league NO ONE FREAKING WATCHES AND CARES ABOUT and honestly some probaly did not even know it existed in the got damn G league and them able to pay obscene amounts of money to these kids.

It is rather ridiculous...but I, personally, do consider Thor a big fish. Not as big as Green or Brown would have been, no, but still the 7th highest rated recruit in program history (Cooper, Mustapha, Okoro, Wiley, Korvortney Barber, Chuma, then Thor), and he would have been the second highest rated recruit ever before Bruce. I think he and Coop are going to become a big deal very quickly, just like Isaac and Chuma did. I think both will be more like Chuma than Okoro in that it'll take a couple of years of development before they're ready for the League, but I fully expect they'll each be a catalyst for the team from the word go. Hopefully, we'll find a 2 that can be a scoring threat as well as help Coop take care of the ball, but I'm not concerned. I trust Bruce completely.

On 6/20/2020 at 11:17 PM, GwillMac6 said:

I've said it before, but the (not) funny thing about JABA is that so much of JABA isn't actually A B'ing anything but unlucky. 

I mean, we had a dream season with the most talented and charismatic QB to ever play CFB and the entire nation thinks there's an asterisk on it because of some crap that didn't actually even happen in Starkville effing Mississippi and had nothing to do with us. 

On 6/20/2020 at 10:17 PM, GwillMac6 said:

The timing of the GL popping up with bags of cash at the same time we have Unprecedented opportunities in recruiting ... 

also ... I figure there is statistically very small probability all of these GL kids make the nba.  When the few successes start being compared to the (I assume) larger quantity of failures, college educations will start to look good in the rear view mirror ... particularly when those GL signing bonuses are gone.

i wish these kids would have affiliated themselves with a college for at least a couple years before they bolted to the pros.  I think their long term would have benefited.

As an open ended side question ... if the COVID jacks up the nba and/or GL, will these new signees get paid?  Hope their contracts are guaranteed.  Cuz they’ve shot their college eligibility.

On 6/22/2020 at 11:05 AM, mustache eagle said:

The timing of the GL popping up with bags of cash at the same time we have Unprecedented opportunities in recruiting ... 

also ... I figure there is statistically very small probability all of these GL kids make the nba.  When the few successes start being compared to the (I assume) larger quantity of failures, college educations will start to look good in the rear view mirror ... particularly when those GL signing bonuses are gone.

i wish these kids would have affiliated themselves with a college for at least a couple years before they bolted to the pros.  I think their long term would have benefited.

If they are good enough to make NBA G-league pays and they can work at their craft full time. What college provides is a safety net with a good job if you graduate and NBA does not happen.

Someone on Twitter who’s handle is Ramone@grindsohardd28 just tweeted that Kuminga was definitely going College and it would be either Auburn or Texas Tech. I have no idea if he has any connections but I guess we can hope....

1 hour ago, Samau said:

Someone on Twitter who’s handle is Ramone@grindsohardd28 just tweeted that Kuminga was definitely going College and it would be either Auburn or Texas Tech. I have no idea if he has any connections but I guess we can hope....

@Samau Ramone has been discussed extensively going back to the Jalen Green recruitment where he was sure Jalen was going to choose AU. Most of us don't consider him a good or reliable source.

10 hours ago, ellitor said:

@Samau Ramone has been discussed extensively going back to the Jalen Green recruitment where he was sure Jalen was going to choose AU. Most of us don't consider him a good or reliable source.

Yep. He went all in on JG and put his rep on the line. Didn’t pan out for him. 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know if the g-league contracts were guaranteed?  If not, then some of these kids may find themselves in a pickle this upcoming pro season if g-league doesn’t play.  

that could play a factor in some of these kids’ decisions that otherwise were thinking GL.

2 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

Anyone know if the g-league contracts were guaranteed?  If not, then some of these kids may find themselves in a pickle this upcoming pro season if g-league doesn’t play.  

that could play a factor in some of these kids’ decisions that otherwise were thinking GL.

No clue but Kuminga is All G League right now with Texas Tech 2nd.

Regardless of his chances with signing with AU, they need to go back to letting them go pro or play college right out of highschool. Tired of the G league taking the talent out of basketball, it would be easier to handle if it was guys just declaring and participating in the draft, and making more money in the process. At least upfront . I also think it would help colleges not waste time on kids

Where did this GL come from? Up until this year, I had never heard of them. They have gotton 3 players that coach Pearl was recruiting.

12 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

Can’t help but think there will be a majority of these GL kids who regret these decisions.  Just a hunch ...

I know that money is tough to turn down. I just hope these young men have a person in their ear who can give them sound financial advice or a few of them might really regret it. I wish them well. 

I dunno, if they regret the direction their career goes I don't think it will be because they chose to goto the G-League instead of the college. The G League coaches are coaching these kids how to prepare for the NBA, it's their job to directly do that -- as opposed to figuring out how to work their skills into whatever college system to win games to make a run in March. 2 completely different focuses so I really do think if you're good enough to take the G League route that's where you're going to get the highest level coaching  spending all their time on you specifically you as a player. I just don't think if any one of these players flop it'll be because they didn't goto college.

I will say they may lose out on some early career marketing value due to the G-League not having the same type of coverage as big time college hoops. And even with this new team, does it garner enough national interest to see a group of 18 year old future lottery picks play against the Greensboro Swarm or the Rio Grande Valley Vipers? Enough to compete with college ball? I have my doubts about that but thats JMO

There's literally no reason why someone would regret picking the GL over college, at the tier of JK or JG. For Green more than JK, he already has brand exposure. If Zion did this, he already had brand exposure. Can you gain more? Sure! but Zion is an on the court demon. JG is too. 

raw 5 star talents that dont have much personality like JK (or just to look at years past, Cam Reddish, Ashton Hagans), they're gonna win from going straight to the best, getting that development, and talking to the endorsers off the rip. this speeds ahead their plan into potential stardom by alot. I dont think Cam gained ANYTHING from being at Duke, other than a few more eyes when Zion got hurt. but a year where he's groomed as the guy, he's broken out of his shell in advance? He could've been that post ASB form of himself that hawks fans got way earlier

tl;dr there's a very specific niche of guys this option caters too, and I would figure 99% of guys stand to win, either due to being so appealing a player they'll draw eyes and raise the program's platform, or they're not there yet and need this dev more than college dev

Archived