More Alabama or Auburn fans?

BJCrawford

The annoying ones are the arrogant bandwagon Bammers who try and talk smack about Auburn University. 

Of course there are more Bammers, and more bandwagon Bammers due to the Bryant and now Saban years and the success on the field.  Success gathers fans. Braggin' rights are important.

Being proud that you attended the school you cheer for is not elitism. It's a combination of pride and nostalgia. It's born of the love for the school, town, people, teams, time you spent there, acknowledgement of the long hours, blood and sweat it took you to graduate and a few tears for the student loans you had to pay back after you left. 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Prayers for comfort for your father and your family . War Eagle brother 

Much appreciated man. War Eagle. Dad is a Vandy fan though lol. He did not attend, but he ha always been a die hard Vandy fan. Them winning the College World Series came at the perfect time!

On 1/12/2020 at 5:14 PM, gr82be said:

If any fan base smacks of elitism it's Bama's and it's mainly the ones with zero ties to the university. It's like the NC prints hanging on their wall are a diploma.

Many of those you’re referencing don’t even have a high school diploma. Sidewalk alum they is. 

On 1/12/2020 at 12:23 PM, BJCrawford said:

I did not link this entire article, but found this interesting. Proves a lot of Alabama fans just hopping on for the ride. Part of this article indicated Auburn fans hate Alabama slightly more than Alabama fans hate Auburn. I think it’s more than slightly 😊. IGTBAAT!

EA34D704-482F-409D-9D3B-32AAD02CE077.png

50.6 is very high even when bama will let anyone in school. 

On 1/13/2020 at 3:42 PM, Mims44 said:

To both of those types though, they are just horrible fans. Whether they went to school at Bammer U or not. Got a guy at my work who went to LSU, none of us knew he was into football before this season, but he's now became insufferable... it doesn't make it better because he took his graduate courses at LSU.

BTW, those types are also usually the ones the most clueless about football, LSU grad from above I spent 5 minutes trying to tell him that the football has to cross the plane for it to be a TD and he insisted I was wrong and it went off the players helmet (?lol). It's really just people being annoying and uppity, whether they went to the school or not.

We work together?

And everyone knows you get a TD just for entering the red zone....c'mon!

On 1/13/2020 at 6:26 PM, AUsince72 said:

Love these convos.

I once heard a bammer say he was a fan of Alabama because it's the name of the state.

....not kidding.

I, myself, did not attend Auburn University. ....and to make it worse, I grew up in Georgia.

So my 40+ years of being an Auburn fan, the untold number of games I've attended, the players I've met in person....don't mean nuthin'.  ....guess I'm hanging up my Auburn gear for good....or at least until the real fans are back in a good mood again so that they'll let me back into the stadium one day.  Oh, I hope they do.  It's lonely out on the sidewalk.

And you should! Look at the guy you support that promotes Auburn mediocrity. Mean everyone on this thread says Gus doesn't evolve but Fleck says different.

“I've followed Coach Malzahn for a long time,” Fleck said. “He's one of those guys as a young who you want to be like, one of the brightest offensive minds in all of college football, and it's fun to watch how he evolves.”

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2019/12/pj-fleck-and-gus-malzahn-admire-each-others-coaching-styles.html

Gus Malzahn is one of the best coaches and best people in the country.

https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Article/Minnesota-Gophers-Football-Outback-Bowl-Auburn-PJ-Fleck-quotes-video-141412778/

Least when my other coach talks nobody knows what he is saying!

On 1/14/2020 at 6:09 PM, johnnyAU said:

The annoying ones are the arrogant bandwagon Bammers who try and talk smack about Auburn University. 

Of course there are more Bammers, and more bandwagon Bammers due to the Bryant and now Saban years and the success on the field.  Success gathers fans. Braggin' rights are important.

Being proud that you attended the school you cheer for is not elitism. It's a combination of pride and nostalgia. It's born of the love for the school, town, people, teams, time you spent there, acknowledgement of the long hours, blood and sweat it took you to graduate and a few tears for the student loans you had to pay back after you left. 

Texas and Oklahoma are the same way. They are the schools with the long traditions, were the winners, and carry the banner/flagship for the state.

Didn’t go to Auburn. Didn’t even grow up in Alabama(moved to the state when I was 12(my parents met in Center Point, and I was born in ATL)). Went to Southern Union(go Bisons) while living off West Glenn. Born and raised an Auburn fan. Been to countless AU football and basketball games. Technically my first Auburn game was when I was in the womb, playing Georgia Tech(10/20/84...we won 48-34 @augolf1716 probably remembers it better than I do—haha).

Do I feel like I missed out a bit by not getting my degree from Auburn? Somewhat. However, I know that I love the University and all it stands for. And at least I can find it on a damn map, unlike some of the toothless, backwater, inbred, refrigerator-in-the-front-yard...fill in the rest.

Not really sure why I felt the need to defend my fandom, but there it is. 

On 1/14/2020 at 6:09 PM, johnnyAU said:

Bandwagon bammers are simply the worst. I can respect some of those that lasted through their “dark period”. They understand some struggle with minimal arrogance. 

I work retail in Southwest Tennessee. It’s a bit of a melting pot. Lots of Ole Miss/MSU and a smattering of every other SEC team, quite a few bammers. 

Anyway. It was the day. THE DAY. Of the Iron Bowl. And I struck up a conversation with a dude wearing a bammer hat some time before kickoff. I asked him what he thought of the game, and he legit asked me who they were playing. I was baffled. 

10 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Bandwagon bammers are simply the worst. I can respect some of those that lasted through their “dark period”. They understand some struggle with minimal arrogance. 

I work retail in Southwest Tennessee. It’s a bit of a melting pot. Lots of Ole Miss/MSU and a smattering of every other SEC team, quite a few bammers. 

Anyway. It was the day. THE DAY. Of the Iron Bowl. And I struck up a conversation with a dude wearing a bammer hat some time before kickoff. I asked him what he thought of the game, and he legit asked me who they were playing. I was baffled. 

Maybe he just wanted to rock the hat. Some folks do wear attire just because they like the color , the logo , etc. There are a ton of dudes who up here in Milwaukee who rock the red St. Louis cap or the Cinci hat and it’s not because they are die hard baseball fans, if you get my drift. 

14 minutes ago, DAG said:

Maybe he just wanted to rock the hat. Some folks do wear attire just because they like the color , the logo , etc. There are a ton of dudes who up here in Milwaukee who rock the red St. Louis cap or the Cinci hat and it’s not because they are die hard baseball fans, if you get my drift. 

This dude was like 60, he definitely wasn’t wearing the hat for fashion. 

11 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Technically my first Auburn game was when I was in the womb, playing Georgia Tech(10/20/84...we won 48-34 @augolf1716 probably remembers it better than I do—haha).

@augolf1716 can correct me if wrong. Attended all the games in those days and pretty sure we were up on Tech like 31-0 or 34-0 by halftime. For whatever reason we either started or played our #2 and a senior QB. Name was Mike Mann and he had one heck of first half. Miss the Tech rivalry, it was a fun week and and Saturday most years.

Never felt that any Auburn fan need defend their fandom. As I recall the "sidewalk fan" originated from Auburn fans referring to "bahr" fans. Some seriously had no idea if the campus was located in Birmingham or Tuscaloosa. Once they infiltrated seem to have bred and multiplied. Hear "Rawl Tahd" quite a bit on the coast just from wearing and Auburn hat. Ask them who their place kicker is this year and they are clueless.  

2 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Well if he is 60 he also probably has bigger problems then the iron bowl too lol 

3 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Maybe he only follows the gymnastics team.

What I would define as bandwagon is a fan/person who attaches to a subject (topic of discussion, sports team, etc.) when the times are good.  They have a need to be a part of the majority and do not like to be in the minority and would feel inferior if that was the case.  They only have the allegiance to the majority.  When the sports team is doing bad they are not heard from or they switch teams.  When the topic of discussion makes a 180 degree turn, they flip or stay silent.

For the simple term bandwagon for fandom, I would not dictate whether or not they attended the university.  I would direct that definition to a sidewalk fan of not having attended the school, or possibly never even set foot on the campus/grounds.

For example, I would put myself in the category of a sidewalk fan of the Panthers, being a fan of theirs but never having attended a game before.  I would not consider myself a sidewalk fan of the Oklahoma City Thunder as I have attended games of theirs even though I do not reside in the city they represent.

3 hours ago, abw0004 said:

What I would define as bandwagon is a fan/person who attaches to a subject (topic of discussion, sports team, etc.) when the times are good.  They have a need to be a part of the majority and do not like to be in the minority and would feel inferior if that was the case.  They only have the allegiance to the majority.  When the sports team is doing bad they are not heard from or they switch teams.  When the topic of discussion makes a 180 degree turn, they flip or stay silent.

For the simple term bandwagon for fandom, I would not dictate whether or not they attended the university.  I would direct that definition to a sidewalk fan of not having attended the school, or possibly never even set foot on the campus/grounds.

For example, I would put myself in the category of a sidewalk fan of the Panthers, being a fan of theirs but never having attended a game before.  I would not consider myself a sidewalk fan of the Oklahoma City Thunder as I have attended games of theirs even though I do not reside in the city they represent.

Good take!

Archived