Jack Bicknell, Jr. -- New OL Coach

Auhud08

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

and what goes into being a 'complete' QB.

Unfortunately, a "complete" QB in Gus' offense is not the same as a "complete" QB in a competently designed balanced offense with sophisticated passing schemes, reads, and passing route options and adjustments on the fly during the game.

7 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

It may be, but I tend to believe it's more a Bo having a better understanding of the offense, and what goes into being a 'complete' QB. And I am guessing here but i think in film study, and QB sessions he was much more confident than Gatewood was. (And a lot of this has to do with all the skills training and experience Bo had in HS vs Gatewood who predominantly was used in run first options).

I understand the cerebral QB part. But a raw athlete that can truck your ass if he gets up to speed has its advantages. Newton for example. if the first or second read didn't work out he was still gonna get 5 yrds on his feet. Hell even if he had a man wide open if he saw an open lane he was shooting the hole. Nix cant do that Gatewood likely could.

imagine if we had one guy looking at analytics and feeding Gus some data so he could make      THE SAME EXACT DECISIONS !   Maybe I could get that job.

23 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

It may be, but I tend to believe it's more a Bo having a better understanding of the offense, and what goes into being a 'complete' QB. And I am guessing here but i think in film study, and QB sessions he was much more confident than Gatewood was. (And a lot of this has to do with all the skills training and experience Bo had in HS vs Gatewood who predominantly was used in run first options).

I was told this was the case. A person I had some business dealing with last fall knows a player on the team very well. He had nothing bad to say about Gatewood at all. But as being capable of running the entire offense and leading the team on the field it wasn’t close. He also said Joey didn’t lack anything as far as throwing. It was just all the detailed parts of being a Qb that most fans can’t understand because they can’t be statistically measured. 

45 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

That's alot of assuming

Gus has one more year cause he did mediocre but beat Bama. So its enough to keep the people happy for now. That contract that has been around our neck is getting looser.

Why should Gus give a crap when his money is guaranteed? Auburn has made some stupid Football contracts in the past. Next year let Gus go and shoot for the moon!  Why do we always go cheap and get the guy from Arky St. just to make him one of the highest payed half asses in college football? He got his big multi year payday guaranteed after his first season with someone elses players. Loses the BCS and every major bowl game he has coached. Dude we won the Birmingham and music city bowl. We need to say goodbye to Gus, and get the best damn coach there is in America pay him 12 mil a year. Year to year and match or beat anyone that tries to take him.

Bruce Pearl is worth every dime. We went out and got the best. 

Would it be funny if Stoops and Gatewood make Kentucky a "football school" It wouldn't hurt my feelings. There would be a lot of noses I would like to rub in it.

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

Unfortunately, a "complete" QB in Gus' offense is not the same as a "complete" QB in a competently designed balanced offense with sophisticated passing schemes, reads, and passing route options and adjustments on the fly during the game.

I would much rather have a 'complete' OC that can even make something out of a average QB, but our OC is limited on QB development and offensive playcalling. 

So I agree with you. 

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

Good points.

16 minutes ago, cole256 said:

That's alot of assuming

Absolutely had nothing to do with him being a Thoroughbred named BO, NIX. Nothing at all.  He was the BEST!  dont worry about the proven studs in the portal. We got everything under control with this true freshman straight out of high school. Bo is gonna do well in time. Just funny we picked a true freshman this season when there were known superior options in the portal to chase.

26 minutes ago, cole256 said:

That's alot of assuming

And I also know what 'assume' means. lol. But it's all I got, except when someone on here has a real inside knowledge. Otherwise, we are all assuming to some degree...:)

25 minutes ago, norcuron said:

Gus has one more year cause he did mediocre but beat Bama. So its enough to keep the people happy for now. That contract that has been around our neck is getting looser.

Why should Gus give a crap when his money is guaranteed? Auburn has made some stupid Football contracts in the past. Next year let Gus go and shoot for the moon!  Why do we always go cheap and get the guy from Arky St. just to make him one of the highest payed half asses in college football? He got his big multi year payday guaranteed after his first season with someone elses players. Loses the BCS and every major bowl game he has coached. Dude we won the Birmingham and music city bowl. We need to say goodbye to Gus, and get the best damn coach there is in America pay him 12 mil a year. Year to year and match or beat anyone that tries to take him.

Bruce Pearl is worth every dime. We went out and got the best. 

If M&M don't find a way to take Gus' offense into the current state of college offenses, then I will gladly watch and hope to see a change. Then we will just change our gnashing and complaining towards who we can hire...and who IS hired.

I never understand why you and others don't think that a coach(and one that is at a high profile school like Gus is), can't give a crap about his success, but bc he isn't winning consistently or at a high level, it must be because his money is guaranteed. There is no way I believe that w/ Gus.

Guys like Gus, and at this level, live and breathe for success, and being on top. They know what that means. And Gus knows it's not beating Alabama every now and then or going to the SECC  twice or the NC  1 time in 7 years. He KNOWs it involves winning CHAMPIONSHIPS. The money only lets him know he has security in his future. But he doesn't want to leave here. He knows that the PTB aren't happy w/ the last 5-6 years. He has pressure to fix the holes.

The only reason we are where we are in his contract...is the sorry buyout. 

20 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

https://secstatcat.com/sec/passer-stats

It's a trove of information, like Bo hit 31% of his passes between 11-20 yards and 37% beyond 20 yards.

The 31% between 11-20 yards just seems God awful to me. Wow. Again, wtf is Gus thinking with his guarantee about Nix and winning a championship? 

21 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

If M&M don't find a way to take Gus' offense into the current state of college offenses, then I will gladly watch and hope to see a change. Then we will just change our gnashing and complaining towards who we can hire...and who IS hired.

I never understand why you and others don't think that a coach(and one that is at a high profile school like Gus is), can't give a crap about his success, but bc he isn't winning consistently or at a high level, it must be because his money is guaranteed. There is no way I believe that w/ Gus.

Guys like Gus, and at this level, live and breathe for success, and being on top. They know what that means. And Gus knows it's not beating Alabama every now and then or going to the SECC  twice or the NC  1 time in 7 years. He KNOWs it involves winning CHAMPIONSHIPS. The money only lets him know he has security in his future. But he doesn't want to leave here. He knows that the PTB aren't happy w/ the last 5-6 years. He has pressure to fix the holes.

The only reason we are where we are in his contract...is the sorry buyout. 

I am not so sure gus's scheme is salvageable by anyone so the best move may be to start over and implement a new scheme assuming gus would approve.

4 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

The 31% between 11-20 yards just seems God awful to me. Wow. Again, wtf is Gus thinking with his guarantee about Nix and winning a championship? 

The only QB worse in the SEC was a backup for Kentucky.

2 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

Bo Nix CAN be a great QB. Bo Nix IS NOT a great QB. Same with Joey (when we had him.) Why not get the best JUCO or portal QB we can find and not start a true freshman right out of high school? He is not a 6'6 220 lbs Trevor Lawrence. Nix is a regular high school kid that's always been QB since 75 lb park ball and his daddy was always coach..

25 minutes ago, Carnell said:

I am not so sure gus's scheme is salvageable by anyone so the best move may be to start over and implement a new scheme assuming gus would approve.

I say implement a new coach if we start over and it dont matter if Gus approves or not. Gus has always been gimmicky, slight of hand, beat you cause you were not looking or off balance  type of guy. He dont win with the sound fundamentals of football. He has won more than he has lost. But he has lost more than I like.

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I can certainly appreciate that perspective. And Bo has much to work on. I see the same flaws in parts of his game others see. But another way to evaluate him: if he could enter the transfer portal with immediate eligibility, I bet a surprising amount of Power 5 schools would be on the phone very quickly. The list of those schools would not reflect the bottom third. Now what Gus is able to do make him shine in his system, that is another discussion altogether. 

Gatewood was the man for the Gus "system" He had to choose Nix cause his last name was Nix.

29 minutes ago, norcuron said:

Gatewood was the man for the Gus "system" He had to choose Nix cause his last name was Nix.

...and now his name is SEC Freshman of the Year.......smh

33 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

31% from 11-20 yards.

1-0 as a starter vs Bama and 2 wins vs 11 win teams. Got to take the good with the bad with a true freshman. 

3 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I would much rather have a 'complete' OC that can even make something out of a average QB

He was that OC in the Tulsa division and before the substitution delay rule change. He didn't have to face top level D Coordinators with an army of off the field assistants breaking down film/tendacies/substitution packages, etc. in the Tulsa League. That's why he could take average guys there and have 1000 yard receivers and rushers.

3 hours ago, norcuron said:

Absolutely had nothing to do with him being a Thoroughbred named BO, NIX. Nothing at all.  He was the BEST!  dont worry about the proven studs in the portal. We got everything under control with this true freshman straight out of high school. Bo is gonna do well in time. Just funny we picked a true freshman this season when there were known superior options in the portal to chase.

The one we went after opted for Mizzou....after that it was not really many game changers, especially after the kid decided to stay at Arizona. Any others you can think of that may have made a Burrow like impact? 

Archived