Jack Bicknell, Jr. -- New OL Coach

Auhud08

I love whenever someone says we can’t blame Malzahn for QBs being bad. How many consecutive QBs now have turned out to be “not that good?”

People, if Nix ain’t the answer, then no one will under Gus. The buyout will be below low enough by the time Nix graduates.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, cole256 said:

All that's fine when you let him be in his place. But when people start the Bo didn't do anything wrong, but this guy here sucks.....well expect objective people to say something.

Also it can't be both ways, it can't be Bo has more talent in his toe than 3 of these greatest qb's to ever play the game. He was made for this, he's a football junkie, his dad is a genius, he's the only one that goes out there and tries, he's been a QB his entire life......

Then say he's just a freshman! Hell after the build up you know how aggravating it was to see that he doesn't even have good footwork? That's remedial as hell. That's what guys who played wr and just started playing QB does.....and because of that they don't even get to attempt a throw. 

I'm going to hold him accountable, I can be the most hated guy on here I don't give a damn, but I'm going to treat everybody same

He still played like a freshman. I believe all players have to earn it, including Bo. So yes he should be held accountable for his play, I am not exempting him from that, but he made a lot of freshman mistakes which IMO are to be expected with the level of competition he faced. I think both his inexperience and poor play went hand in hand this season. 

On 1/13/2020 at 8:15 PM, Swamp Eagle said:

Lol. I get the feeling if Gus gave everyone on here a gold ingot, there would be a majority who complained that he placed it in their wrong hand...

Well, he can do that and then I will let you know how I feel.

:dunno:

7 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

He still played like a freshman. I believe all players have to earn it, including Bo. So yes he should be held accountable for his play, I am not exempting him from that, but he made a lot of freshman mistakes which IMO are to be expected with the level of competition he faced. I think both his inexperience and poor play went hand in hand this season. 

Which mistakes are you talking about?

On 1/16/2020 at 3:42 PM, Tiger said:

Saw this from another board and bringing it over here:

Bo Nix was ranked 101st of all QBs this year by Pro Football Focus:

101. BO NIX – AUBURN

Preseason Rank: 96; Week 6 Rank: 88; Week 12 Rank: 96

The SEC Freshman of the Year was certainly not in the running to win such an award from us at PFF, as Nix continually didn’t grade well all season long, finishing with 18 turnover-worthy passes (T-28th) to just 17 big-time throws (T-47th). His highlight-reel plays were something, but he was far too often inaccurate with the ball, throwing an uncatchable, inaccurate pass on 26.5% of his throws. He finished as just the 105th-ranked quarterback in passing grade while his 63.0% completion percentage from a clean pocket ranked just 128th. He did some things well, however, as he was rather sharp on throws across the middle of the field, seeing an 81.5 passing grade and completing 93-of-133 passes for 1,036 yards and eight scores on throws targeted between the numbers last season.

How does he rank against other true FR QB's I wonder?

12 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

How does he rank against other true FR QB's I wonder?

That’s a great question in many ways. First, of 130 D1 teams only a small handful had a true freshman start every game of the season. Only one of those did it vs multiple top 10 teams. The guy at UNC put up much better numbers, but only played 1 top 10 team. Those facts are pretty consistent from year to year. There is a definite reason those numbers are so low. It’s incredibly difficult to do. Bo has much to work on but showed a lot of promise. If our HC turns him over to Chad, I believe his potential can be realized. 

55 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

That’s a great question in many ways. First, of 130 D1 teams only a small handful had a true freshman start every game of the season. Only one of those did it vs multiple top 10 teams. The guy at UNC put up much better numbers, but only played 1 top 10 team. Those facts are pretty consistent from year to year. There is a definite reason those numbers are so low. It’s incredibly difficult to do. Bo has much to work on but showed a lot of promise. If our HC turns him over to Chad, I believe his potential can be realized. 

He's got some glaring flaws in his fundamentals (footwork), but hopefully that's part of why we hired Chad. Hopefully the other part is everything else about the offense, lol. 

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

If our HC turns him over to Chad, I believe his potential can be realized

I do too

I’d be interested in hearing some stats of year over year improvements on offenses that Chad has taken over.  Is all this hope just hope or is there empirical evidence that says he can do this?  Also as far as the PFF goes I do feel like Bo got better as the season went on.  He isn’t to the point where he is wowing people but if you put on the Oregon game and compare it to the iron bowl you’d see a much better Qb.  The long pass to Williams on 3rd down and the Td to Sal were some of his best of the season.  He’ll need to improve on the road in year 2 to take the next step.

I'm high on Bo as far as having the potential to become a good/great QB even with his struggles this year.  He obviously has things to work as far as accuracy/footwork, feeling the pressure/not bailing out of the pocket for no reason,  and keeping the whole offense composed in hostile environments.  However, he's shown that he's a gamer and does not easily fold under pressure.  There were many key situations in games last season where he made the play to keep the drive going (often with his feet).  He's also shown a good awareness to know when to throw the ball away to avoid taking a sack or throwing a risky pass.  Other than Florida game, he didn't look to be unprepared for the big stage, and I think he learned  from that game. 

Bottom line:  I think there's a lot to build on with Bo at the QB position.     

26 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

I'm high on Bo as far as having the potential to become a good/great QB even with his struggles this year.  He obviously has things to work as far as accuracy/footwork, feeling the pressure/not bailing out of the pocket for no reason,  and keeping the whole offense composed in hostile environments.  However, he's shown that he's a gamer and does not easily fold under pressure.  There were many key situations in games last season where he made the play to keep the drive going (often with his feet).  He's also shown a good awareness to know when to throw the ball away to avoid taking a sack or throwing a risky pass.  Other than Florida game, he didn't look to be unprepared for the big stage, and I think he learned  from that game. 

I wholeheartedly agree. It seems like there are some posters who think if you are high on Bo that you are somehow ignoring the areas he needs improvement in. Your post is a perfect example of someone who understands his deficiencies, but also recognizes the high ceiling that he possesses. 

37 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

I'm not worried about the bailing out of the pocket thing. We saw Stidham shake that habit in real time in one preseason game after he realized that he was playing behind a good offensive line. 

I'm high on all of Bo's good qualities that you mention. I'm encouraged that he didn't throw the ball to ghosts. Nick Marshall threw some of the least accurate passes I've seen, but it was because he'd rather miss big than put the ball in a dangerous spot. (Usually. Looking at you, Prayer. Probably the dumbest, worst pass of his career.)

I remain concerned about Bo's throwing mechanics and, more importantly, the ability that he and his coaching staff, collectively, have to remedy that. 

My response to you is largely useless. Apologies. Agree. A lot to build on. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm not worried about the bailing out of the pocket thing. We saw Stidham shake that habit in real time in one preseason game after he realized that he was playing behind a good offensive line. 

I'm high on all of Bo's good qualities that you mention. I'm encouraged that he didn't throw the ball to ghosts. Nick Marshall threw some of the least accurate passes I've seen, but it was because he'd rather miss big than put the ball in a dangerous spot. (Usually. Looking at you, Prayer. Probably the dumbest, worst pass of his career.)

I remain concerned about Bo's throwing mechanics and, more importantly, the ability that he and his coaching staff, collectively, have to remedy that. 

My response to you is largely useless. Apologies. Agree. A lot to build on. 

I think another area that has to be considered, besides just Bo's mechanics and the experience he simply didn't have being a FR QB is the role the offensive staff plays.

If you look at Joe Burrows, the difference between his first year at LSU and last year was phenomenal, and a lot of that was the changes they made on offense, and what Brady brought in to make Burrows one of the best QBs for 1 year, in history.

If Morris has the ability to improve the offense and Bo, then we can be an explosive AND a consistent performing offense.

That is the unknown AND ofc, how much Gus let's Morris' offensive ideas and schemes integrate or takeover some of Gus' offensive schemes and tendencies. 

2 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I think another area that has to be considered, besides just Bo's mechanics and the experience he simply didn't have being a FR QB is the role the offensive staff plays.

If you look at Joe Burrows, the difference between his first year at LSU and last year was phenomenal, and a lot of that was the changes they made on offense, and what Brady brought in to make Burrows one of the best QBs for 1 year, in history.

If Morris has the ability to improve the offense and Bo, then we can be an explosive AND a consistent performing offense.

That is the unknown AND ofc, how much Gus let's Morris' offensive ideas and schemes integrate or takeover some of Gus' offensive schemes and tendencies. 

Totally agree. Like I said, "he and his coaching staff, collectively". 

Jason Campbell going from NallSminger to Borges was another example of a major leap. Not sure Campbell had issues with his mechanics in 2003, but putting a guy in good spots can cure all sometimes. 

I feel like different people are talking about different things, sure he has the promise of potential of being young as do every young qb has. As far as what he has shown so far he has been ok. He wasn't the hype that many said and he wasn't a bust either. He played like a freshman, but there has been other freshmen that has played much better. That's it.

12 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I feel like different people are talking about different things, sure he has the promise of potential of being young as do every young qb has. As far as what he has shown so far he has been ok. He wasn't the hype that many said and he wasn't a bust either. He played like a freshman, but there has been other freshmen that has played much better. That's it.

I think this is what pretty much everyone is saying, TBH. 

20 minutes ago, cole256 said:

8 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Well, yeah, but I want to say it my way. 

There's no joke here. That explains about 90% of my content. 

3 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Yep. Some are really using a loop hole for when it's all said and done though. It's either going to be Bo is an all time great or if not it was Gus or other players fault. At least that's how I'm viewing a couple of comments but you know what I always say to you, It could be I don't know what the heck I'm saying 😂

He needs an explosive hb though. I think the o line was just fine....well not fine we weren't good and you at least want to be good but we weren't trash either. I think a QB playing around that and learning how to still be successful is the greatest thing and teacher for them being successful in the NFL. Take bammers qb for instance. I think why most of them sucked was because they were coddled. I think guys like mahomes and Rodgers, and Jackson etc had to get out there and create magic out of nothing alot and when they got to the league it was their greatest asset they had.

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Yep. Some are really using a loop hole for when it's all said and done though. It's either going to be Bo is an all time great or if not it was Gus or other players fault. At least that's how I'm viewing a couple of comments but you know what I always say to you, It could be I don't know what the heck I'm saying 😂

He needs an explosive hb though. I think the o line was just fine....well not fine we weren't good and you at least want to be good but we weren't trash either. I think a QB playing around that and learning how to still be successful is the greatest thing and teacher for them being successful in the NFL. Take bammers qb for instance. I think why most of them sucked was because they were coddled. I think guys like mahomes and Rodgers, and Jackson etc had to get out there and create magic out of nothing alot and when they got to the league it was their greatest asset they had.

Bo just needs a solid QB coach. I agree that having to be "the guy" like Mahomes or Lamar can make you great. I am very interested to see what Bo does next season. Our line just needs to be at least average. That's all I can realistically hope for, and even that may be unrealistic. 

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Bo just needs a solid QB coach. I agree that having to be "the guy" like Mahomes or Lamar can make you great. I am very interested to see what Bo does next season. Our line just needs to be at least average. That's all I can realistically hope for, and even that may be unrealistic. 

I'm of the opinion that his pass protection was fine. The run blocking was trash though and you have to have a threat to at least get one yard. But you have to be creative enough not to run straight up the middle all the time, especially when your center isn't the best ya know? 

But I think what he went through this year should really help him in the future, his footwork and pocket presence is on him though

10 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I'm of the opinion that his pass protection was fine. The run blocking was trash though and you have to have a threat to at least get one yard. But you have to be creative enough not to run straight up the middle all the time, especially when your center isn't the best ya know? 

But I think what he went through this year should really help him in the future, his footwork and pocket presence is on him though

Yeah we definitely have the deepest stable of backs behind him I can remember since Caddy, Ronnie, and Brandon. Just need the line to open some holes. Give a legit run threat to help. It's kind of insane Gus asked a true freshman to throw the ball 50 times against Georgia. 

Gus also HAS to stop treating Bo like he's porcelain. He's a running QB. Trying to make him strictly a pocket passer is insane. It's football. Kids get hurt sometimes. You gotta play your game though. Bo needs to run the read more this season. 

40 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Run opens up the pass and vice Versa. Even the best QBs struggle when the offense can’t run the ball. We really just need to be more creative when we run the ball instead of running up the middle after every first down. Hopefully Morris helps with that 

2 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Run opens up the pass and vice Versa. Even the best QBs struggle when the offense can’t run the ball. We really just need to be more creative when we run the ball instead of running up the middle after every first down. Hopefully Morris helps with that 

Every run in a Gus Malzahn offense should have a read aspect to it. It used to. I can't remember Marshall giving many straight-dives during his two years. I am fine to just give the ball if we are running a big sweep or something, but for the life of me I can't figure out why Gus at least doesn't make those wasted first down dives into a read. 

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Every run in a Gus Malzahn offense should have a read aspect to it. It used to. I can't remember Marshall giving many straight-dives during his two years. I am fine to just give the ball if we are running a big sweep or something, but for the life of me I can't figure out why Gus at least doesn't make those wasted first down dives into a read. 

Seems the only time AU started moving in the Minnesota game was when Bo started running the ball. But then we stopped for whatever reason 

1 minute ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Seems the only time AU started moving in the Minnesota game was when Bo started running the ball. But then we stopped for whatever reason 

I've talked about it before, but my biggest gripe with Gus is he coaches scared. He exudes fear. He doesn't try to win, he tries not to lose. So everything he does on the field is rooted in cowardice. He is petrified of Bo getting hurt. I can't stand it. 

Archived