Jack Bicknell, Jr. -- New OL Coach

Auhud08

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I've talked about it before, but my biggest gripe with Gus is he coaches scared. He exudes fear. He doesn't try to win, he tries not to lose. So everything he does on the field is rooted in cowardice. He is petrified of Bo getting hurt. I can't stand it. 

I wouldn’t mind if Morris made Bo gain a few pounds in the offseason so he can run it more. He has good speed when he’s at full speed 

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, cole256 said:

Yep. Some are really using a loop hole for when it's all said and done though. It's either going to be Bo is an all time great or if not it was Gus or other players fault. At least that's how I'm viewing a couple of comments but you know what I always say to you, It could be I don't know what the heck I'm saying 😂

He needs an explosive hb though. I think the o line was just fine....well not fine we weren't good and you at least want to be good but we weren't trash either. I think a QB playing around that and learning how to still be successful is the greatest thing and teacher for them being successful in the NFL. Take bammers qb for instance. I think why most of them sucked was because they were coddled. I think guys like mahomes and Rodgers, and Jackson etc had to get out there and create magic out of nothing alot and when they got to the league it was their greatest asset they had.

😂 That should be our new pitch when recruiting QBs.  “Come to Auburn and be our QB.  Running for your life for a few seasons will get you ready for the NFL!”

2 hours ago, triangletiger said:

😂 That should be our new pitch when recruiting QBs.  “Come to Auburn and be our QB.  Running for your life for a few seasons will get you ready for the NFL!”

But he wasn't running for his life....if he had any complaint it should be I had too many 3rd and longs

6 hours ago, cole256 said:

But he wasn't running for his life....if he had any complaint it should be I had too many 3rd and longs

Along with predetermined passes, single receiver routes, and half-field reads

8 hours ago, cole256 said:

I know.  I just thought that statement was funny when put into the context of recruiting.  Along the same lines, teams could use Bama's success at o-line to negative recruit against them for QBs.  "Don't go to Bama, they can't prepare you for the NFL because you'll never get pressured in the pocket."  

Anyway, I agree we were decent in pass protection, but establishing a good running game would help too because it would allow us to be more unpredictable and force defenses to play us more 'honest'.  That's on Gus to do what it takes to get us back where we should be in the running game. 

On 1/21/2020 at 3:38 PM, AUght2win said:

I've talked about it before, but my biggest gripe with Gus is he coaches scared. He exudes fear. He doesn't try to win, he tries not to lose. So everything he does on the field is rooted in cowardice. He is petrified of Bo getting hurt. I can't stand it. 

Yep. Gus has a little voice in the back of his mind. Telling him bad football things.

11 hours ago, bigbird said:

And plays with low percentage passes. Don't leave it to Malzahn to call a simple 5 yard buttonhook for a first down when he can call a 30 yard fade route.

11 hours ago, bigbird said:

I agree, but this has been the case for a few qb's.....the other QB's were just told they sucked

Just now, cole256 said:

I agree, but this has been the case for a few qb's.....the other QB's were just told they sucked

Sometimes it's the variable...other times it's the constant

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Sometimes it's the variable...other times it's the constant

Can't agree with that one. If it's a factor for him then it's a factor for others. He's already being given an advantage that he gets to play and make mistakes. Sooner or later let's just be honest.

9 hours ago, cole256 said:

Can't agree with that one. If it's a factor for him then it's a factor for others. He's already being given an advantage that he gets to play and make mistakes. Sooner or later let's just be honest.

Maybe I wasn't clear...maybe the variable sucks (the different QBs) or maybe the constant sucks (the system they have all played in). 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Maybe I wasn't clear...maybe the variable sucks (the different QBs) or maybe the constant sucks (the system they have all played in). 

I did misunderstand, my apologies. Good now I didn't have to disagree with you and the only dislike I'll get is from proud tiger and the crew as opposed to new people 😂

10 hours ago, cole256 said:

The only guy I saw who played as bad as Nix and got pulled was JJ. In my opinion, JJ was *far* worse. Not only that, but he had at least some prior experience and had been around the program a lot longer, and he was as bad in game 3 as he was in game 1. I know you don't agree with this. 

What drives me crazy is that JJ's backup was Sean White. Now, I think Sean was quite good when he was healthy. But that wasn't often, and there were the major off-field issues. Bo's backup was Joey freaking Gatewood. Who was not only Joey freaking Gatewood, but by all accounts was a leader and good kid away from the field. I'll never understand Gus not making a change against UF at a minimum. Bo was terrible in that game, and he was pretty bad in several others. 

I absolutely agree that Gus "loves on" Bo extra. The beat has explicitly stated that he and Bo have some kind of special relationship. And I have a very easy time believing that Gus lets personal feelings cloud his judgment when it comes to personnel decisions. It's part of why his players love him and part of why he doesn't always play the guy who gives us the best chance to win. Just my very uninformed opinion. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

The only guy I saw who played as bad as Nix and got pulled was JJ. In my opinion, JJ was *far* worse. Not only that, but he had at least some prior experience and had been around the program a lot longer, and he was as bad in game 3 as he was in game 1. I know you don't agree with this. 

What drives me crazy is that JJ's backup was Sean White. Now, I think Sean was quite good when he was healthy. But that wasn't often, and there were the major off-field issues. Bo's backup was Joey freaking Gatewood. Who was not only Joey freaking Gatewood, but by all accounts was a leader and good kid away from the field. I'll never understand Gus not making a change against UF at a minimum. Bo was terrible in that game, and he was pretty bad in several others. 

I absolutely agree that Gus "loves on" Bo extra. The beat has explicitly stated that he and Bo have some kind of special relationship. And I have a very easy time believing that Gus lets personal feelings cloud his judgment when it comes to personnel decisions. It's part of why his players love him and part of why he doesn't always play the guy who gives us the best chance to win. Just my very uninformed opinion. 

I would have expected a change against LSU, I think. That's where it made the most sense to me.

What's going to be interesting to see is Joey at Kentucky. I fully expect him to succeed, but I'm also curious to see if it becomes clear at any point why Bo was always going to be the guy.

I wish Joey was going to be surrounded by more talent. People will somehow forget that he's playing with UK level talent. Although he will be playing for a coach that knows how to get the most out of his roster which should help him but in the trenches UK will be outmatched almost every conference game they play. That will affect Joey IMO. 

On 1/23/2020 at 8:11 AM, McLoofus said:

You're right I don't agree with the jj stuff because he's like the anti this, how many refuse to criticize Bo jj couldn't get any credit. 

Also to me the way I look at the game being scared and not taking risks is just as bad as talking too many risk and that's why I've never been excited about white that and he never played against a good team. 

The worst QB I've seen was Frazier.....awful and Gus let him throw. But yeah this board will hate me for it but you know I don't jump on here and lie....the way Gus let Bo come in and do all the interviews and make all those mistakes and wouldn't even let the other QB's even throw the ball. The entire JG had to earn his number and all that stuff but Bo had everything given to him.......that's the one way you can lose a team. I know what I'm talking about. Playing with fire. And that's why they did JG the way they did.

And as far as going to play for Kentucky I don't think that will tell the true story, because what would Bo do at Kentucky or Vandy? This team was a dream job for a freshman QB. 

19 hours ago, Tiger said:

I wish Joey was going to be surrounded by more talent. People will somehow forget that he's playing with UK level talent. Although he will be playing for a coach that knows how to get the most out of his roster which should help him but in the trenches UK will be outmatched almost every conference game they play. That will affect Joey IMO. 

Absolutely, if he was plugged in at a place like how fields, hurts, and burrow would show a more clear picture

28 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Absolutely, if he was plugged in at a place like how fields, hurts, and burrow would show a more clear picture

Big time. But hey maybe he can still be a Dak Prescott type at UK. That would be fantastic for him

40 minutes ago, cole256 said:

The entire JG had to earn his number and all that stuff but Bo had everything given to him.......that's the one way you can lose a team.

I really don't understand how Gus does it. But his players really do seem to love him. Might have something to do with the kinds of kids he recruits. Joey, for example, is just pure class. 

40 minutes ago, cole256 said:

And as far as going to play for Kentucky I don't think that will tell the true story, because what would Bo do at Kentucky or Vandy?

It won't tell the true story, but I think Stoops showed with Benny Snell that he's willing to build a functional offense around a star player. (Before the Gus patrol swoops in, think about the difference between the overall talent level at Auburn in 2017 and Kentucky in 2018.) Joey won't put up crazy stats there but- good call on Dak, @Tiger- he should be able to demonstrate whether or not he's got the stuff. 

On 1/21/2020 at 2:44 PM, cole256 said:

Yep. Some are really using a loop hole for when it's all said and done though. It's either going to be Bo is an all time great or if not it was Gus or other players fault. At least that's how I'm viewing a couple of comments but you know what I always say to you, It could be I don't know what the heck I'm saying 😂

He needs an explosive hb though. I think the o line was just fine....well not fine we weren't good and you at least want to be good but we weren't trash either. I think a QB playing around that and learning how to still be successful is the greatest thing and teacher for them being successful in the NFL. Take bammers qb for instance. I think why most of them sucked was because they were coddled. I think guys like mahomes and Rodgers, and Jackson etc had to get out there and create magic out of nothing alot and when they got to the league it was their greatest asset they had.

I think you nailed it right here.  I never have the sense that Nix will take control of a game and backyard football the team to a win.  The folks you site (and guys like Marshal or Cam or Sullivan) lived for it.  

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

You're right I don't agree with the jj stuff because he's like the anti this, how many refuse to criticize Bo jj couldn't get any credit. 

Also to me the way I look at the game being scared and not taking risks is just as bad as talking too many risk and that's why I've never been excited about white that and he never played against a good team. 

The worst QB I've seen was Frazier.....awful and Gus let him throw. But yeah this board will hate me for it but you know I don't jump on here and lie....the way Gus let Bo come in and do all the interviews and make all those mistakes and wouldn't even let the other QB's even throw the ball. The entire JG had to earn his number and all that stuff but Bo had everything given to him.......that's the one way you can lose a team. I know what I'm talking about. Playing with fire. And that's why they did JG the way they did.

And as far as going to play for Kentucky I don't think that will tell the true story, because what would Bo do at Kentucky or Vandy? This team was a dream job for a freshman QB. 

Just for accuracy sake, Frazier only threw the ball a total of 12 times while Gus was a coach at AU. Compared to getting 76 carries (16 of which came in the bowl game). He played in all 13 games and only threw a pass in 6 of them. But he was plainly not a good QB so he really shouldn't have been playing anyway. Trotter was probably the best QB of that bunch and he played in the least amount of games.

As far as the number thing goes, it was reported JG had some attitude issues early on and the staff stripped his number from him to get him to act right. I don't see a problem with this, if it's true. I feel like if they let that alleged attitude problem fester it could've led to something like losing a team by letting a poor attitude permeate -- which is something that Gus has never done, no matter how ugly and bad it's gotten, and something Chizik couldn't navigate properly. If Bo had the same alleged attitude issue and the staff looked the other way then I would see your point but by all accounts that hasn't happened. Just some things that came to mind when reading your post. 

Very good question about what Bo would do at Kentucky. It will be a hotly debated topic here in a few years I bet.

41 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Big time. But hey maybe he can still be a Dak Prescott type at UK. That would be fantastic for him

I really wanted to see him go to UF and learn under Mullen.  

Just now, dyehardfanAU said:

I really wanted to see him go to UF and learn under Mullen.  

My selfish heart couldn't take that. 

But it would've been perfect for JG

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Just for accuracy sake, Frazier only threw the ball a total of 12 times while Gus was a coach at AU. Compared to getting 76 carries (16 of which came in the bowl game). He played in all 13 games and only threw a pass in 6 of them. But he was plainly not a good QB so he really shouldn't have been playing anyway. Trotter was probably the best QB of that bunch and he played in the least amount of games.

As far as the number thing goes, it was reported JG had some attitude issues early on and the staff stripped his number from him to get him to act right. I don't see a problem with this, if it's true. I feel like if they let that alleged attitude problem fester it could've led to something like losing a team by letting a poor attitude permeate -- which is something that Gus has never done, no matter how ugly and bad it's gotten, and something Chizik couldn't navigate properly. If Bo had the same alleged attitude issue and the staff looked the other way then I would see your point but by all accounts that hasn't happened. Just some things that came to mind when reading your post. 

Very good question about what Bo would do at Kentucky. It will be a hotly debated topic here in a few years I bet.

I mean reported by who? And if you're a qb and they don't have a problem with you running the ball like a running back but you can't throw a pass yeah you might get frustrated. And why would Bo have a problem when you get everything? Let Bo sit this year coming up and have to watch another guy play and I bet you see an attitude. I bet you hear talk of leaving, I bet he wants to play. 

I can't say I know for sure but it sure is funny JG went from saint to attitude back to saint so quick. Look how he handled this situation....I saw a bunch of class didn't see attitude. That's weird. I mean a super quick turnaround. Funny how it change when you really feel you have an opportunity. Bo hasn't ever have to feel that

And as far as Frazier Gus let Frazier start and he had to see he wasn't good, now he won't let guys even play for real and we can have a 30 point lead

Archived