Jack Bicknell, Jr. -- New OL Coach

Auhud08

11 minutes ago, japantiger said:

So a half assed journey-man ex head coach now OLine coach recommends half assed journey-man Oline coach; and that's ok?  This looks like a typical Gus Offensive hire (double entendre intented).

Not exactly. Luke hired him at Ole Miss. Luke's specialty is coaching O line, and he's one of the best anywhere. 

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, TigerCatcher said:

So you're pissed about Chad making JB retire?  I don't get it.

This question is a non-sequitor.  But since you brought Grimes up; why was he re-hired to begin with to be forced out by Chad?  So to actually connect your non-sensical question to the thread; Grimes is another example of Gus making a half-assed assistant hire before the half assed assistant hire that is the subject of this thread.  This is Gus's 3rd line coach hire in 7 years; and not because anyone wanted any of our previous Oline coaches.  Gus is a half assed coach that hires half assed assistants...with alarming regularity.  

5 minutes ago, japantiger said:

This question is a non-sequitor.  But since you brought Grimes up; why was he re-hired to begin with to be forced out by Chad?  So to actually connect your non-sensical question to the thread; Grimes is another example of Gus making a half-assed assistant hire before the half assed assistant hire that is the subject of this thread.  This is Gus's 3rd line coach hire in 7 years; and not because anyone wanted any of our previous Oline coaches.  Gus is a half assed coach that hires half assed assistants...with alarming regularity.  

Feel you, but if you were hoping an offensive line coach was going to be the savior of Gus's offense you're going the long way around the barn.

Just now, Eagle-1 said:

Feel you, but if you were hoping an offensive line coach was going to be the savior of Gus's offense you're going the long way around the barn.

No, just looking for someone that anybody else wanted; instead of Gus, again and again and again, going to the Island of Misfit Coaches for a hire.

11 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Who would you suggest he hire?

9 minutes ago, japantiger said:

No, just looking for someone that anybody else wanted; instead of Gus, again and again and again, going to the Island of Misfit Coaches for a hire.

Appreciate your passion in the matter. Unfortunately,  because of my apathy with all  things Gus I just can't get excited either way.

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Can he recruit? That is all I care about at this point. Just upgrade the talent at this position for the love of God. We have not had a really good - great OL recruiter since Jeff Grimes. It has been our weakest position on staff in terms of recruiting for going on a decade. 

If he cant coach does not matter about the talent coming in.

1 minute ago, Carnell said:

If he cant coach does not matter about the talent coming in.

Grimes could coach. Didn't matter with the lack of talent he had coming in because he couldn't recruit worth a damn.

13 minutes ago, TigerCatcher said:

Pretty sure the answer is "yes".  So pissed you can't spell straight.  If you're gonna' use it, at least type it right.;)

a20c1908814517766d960fd6a66b4bb4.jpg

18 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Grimes could coach. Didn't matter with the lack of talent he had coming in because he couldn't recruit worth a damn.

So you think it doesnt matter if he cant coach because these 4 and 5 star guys are going to coach themselves.

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Wait was he the head coach at LA Tech when Tim Rattay was there and they beat bama!? Dang that takes me baaaaack!!!

Man, I haven't heard that name in years. 

14 minutes ago, Carnell said:

So you think it doesnt matter if he cant coach because these 4 and 5 star guys are going to coach themselves.

In the college game recruiting is more important than coaching. The margin of error is a lot more wide if you can recruit and have more talent at your disposal. JB Grimes looked great in 2013 and 2014 with the players Jeff Grimes recruited. Not so much when he had to coach his less talented players. What's the issue again? I was pretty clear on what I was trying to say. Ol is our least talented position group. We need a great recruiter there more than anything to stock the cupboard.

All I know about this guy is that he has a much better resume than Dustin Frye or Kendall Simmons. I have a feeling that this is going to turn out to be a really good hire by Malzahn. 

1 minute ago, CameronCrazy said:

All I know about this guy is that he has a much better resume than Dustin Frye or Kendall Simmons. I have a feeling that this is going to turn out to be a really good hire by Malzahn. 

Frye was worst case for me.

Very good hire (maybe great)!!  Interesting that Matt Luke and Bicknell will be going head to head for Broderick Jones so I'm sure Gus and Chad wanted to get our guy on board as quickly as possible to get up to speed. Luke has a head start and the UGA OV is a week later on 1/31. Lot of pressure on our newest coach CJB Jr. I will say he looks a lot more like an OL coach than Grimes if that means anything. Bicknell knows SEC and NFL so hopefully he can hit the ground running.  WDE

4 hours ago, autan said:

Very good hire (maybe great)!!  Interesting that Matt Luke and Bicknell will be going head to head for Broderick Jones so I'm sure Gus and Chad wanted to get our guy on board as quickly as possible to get up to speed. Luke has a head start and the UGA OV is a week later on 1/31. Lot of pressure on our newest coach CJB Jr. I will say he looks a lot more like an OL coach than Grimes if that means anything. Bicknell knows SEC and NFL so hopefully he can hit the ground running.  WDE

I thought I read multiple times that we were getting Bro. Jones' final visit?

Hope he can recruit, I will say I already don't like people talking about the Doug flutie play.....that doesn't help us in any way right now

7 hours ago, japantiger said:

If Coach Steele is a misfit, at least he’s OUR misfit.

9 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

I believe he was BC's Center in the '82 Tangerine Bowl against Auburn.

....there's your Auburn connection.

Oops. That might make him too much of a “Gus Guy” for some folks.

Archived