Jack Bicknell, Jr. -- New OL Coach

Auhud08

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

In the college game recruiting is more important than coaching. The margin of error is a lot more wide if you can recruit and have more talent at your disposal. JB Grimes looked great in 2013 and 2014 with the players Jeff Grimes recruited. Not so much when he had to coach his less talented players. What's the issue again? I was pretty clear on what I was trying to say. Ol is our least talented position group. We need a great recruiter there more than anything to stock the cupboard.

I feel like ignorance of this fact is an extension of the "coaches are always right" and "I'd rather have a 2* with heart/who wants to be at Auburn" mindset. Which is interesting since it always seems to come from the same people who say that saban isn't a good coach and only wins because he buys players. Which is interesting since it always seems to come from the same people who make the case for Gus because he can beat saban every few years.

7 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

All I know about this guy is that he has a much better resume than Dustin Frye or Kendall Simmons. I have a feeling that this is going to turn out to be a really good hire by Malzahn. 

Hope you're right on the second sentence, but you're 100% right on the first. 

Would love to know the dynamics of landing this guy vs Frye. Did Morris pick this guy? Gus? Did Frye turn us down? Doesn't matter yet but I'm curious.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Trying to find a little more on our new OL coach, I came across this. Not much, but something.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Getting-to-know-new-Auburn-Tigers-offensive-line-coach-Jack-Bicknell-Jr-142146257/Amp/

Bird, another article I found said he struggled coaching outside run zone schemes they used in pros.  Do we do that?   

Trying to find a little more on our new OL coach, I came across this. Not much, but something.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Getting-to-know-new-Auburn-Tigers-offensive-line-coach-Jack-Bicknell-Jr-142146257/Amp/

Bet Eli wishes the Giants would have called him back to NY! 😅

Even though he's moved around a good bit (and what coach hasn't) sounds like the only lateral moves Bicknell has made was at the NFL level which is forgivable.

I'm somewhat optimistic about this hire.

Now why did you post something like this? Don't you know some folks on here are looking for anything negative they can find. When they read this and see that his recruiting areas included Arkansas...Arkansas = Gus Area = Gus = Doom & Gloom = It's over. We're doomed! The end is coming. Might as well cancel the upcoming football season, forfeit all our games and spare us the disappointment of having to endure another season of misery. ***Don't know how to do the SARCASM markers***

Now on a serious note: Looks like he might be a good recruiter to boot. Good coach, good recruiter, NFL coaching experience...can't think anything other than this has to be an upgrade and a move in the right direction for a position that has been crippling us for years now. Thanks Bird. 

How stupid are you people that you dont realize your constant whining, bickering and complaining about those who complain about things is just as bothersome and obnoxious as the complaints themselves?

Some of you on both sides of the Gus argument need to grow up. 

Yes the complaining about everything gets old. But your complaining about their complaining is just as bad and usually takes up more space.

So now the battle for Broderick Jones begins with the new UGA OL coach saying  how he should not go got Auburn because their OL used to work for me and the new OL coach at Auburn saying don’t go to UGA I used to work for that guy.

Tough question for you Bird (and anyone else who might want to reasonably opine), how would you rate this guy (recruiting, experience NFL and college, X's and O's, intangibles, anything else) compared to your preferred pick of Josh Henson? Better, even, close second, far below, not easy to decipher, gonna have to wait and see, none of the above?

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Hope he can recruit, I will say I already don't like people talking about the Doug flutie play.....that doesn't help us in any way right now

Reminds me of people trying to excite themselves for Scott Loeffler. “He coached Tom Brady”

32 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

How stupid are you people that you dont realize your constant whining, bickering and complaining about those who complain about things is just as bothersome and obnoxious as the complaints themselves?

Yes the complaining about everything gets old. But your complaining about their complaining is just as bad and usually takes up more space.

Are you complaining?

47 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I've had just about enough of your complaining about those complaining about the complainers, mister.  :D 

This is where I'm at. When we hire a coach that specializes in an area, I want that area to improve. Stuff to get better. I don't want to hear all the reasons it's not good; we're hiring somebody that looks at the problem and says yeah this is crap.....but I can fix it

13 hours ago, bigbird said:

Now compare it to JB's previous stops and experience

I know I should remember but I literally cannot find his background. It keeps just going to Jeff Grimes when I try to search him.

9 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

In the college game recruiting is more important than coaching. The margin of error is a lot more wide if you can recruit and have more talent at your disposal. JB Grimes looked great in 2013 and 2014 with the players Jeff Grimes recruited. Not so much when he had to coach his less talented players. What's the issue again? I was pretty clear on what I was trying to say. Ol is our least talented position group. We need a great recruiter there more than anything to stock the cupboard.

Wait... WAIT... we went from J(eff) Grimes to a J(B) Grimes? No wonder I've been so confused about why we couldn't get our o-line back up to par. I really need to start paying attention to more than just last names. 🤣

47 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

I've had just about enough of your complaining about those complaining about the complainers, mister.  :D 

I want to complain about the people who aren't complaining about the people complaining over the complainers of the people complaining but I think people would just think I was a complainer. I will apologize for this entry before people complain about it though. I couldn't resist.

I will say in full disclosure that I had never heard of this guy before today, but that obviously doesn’t matter one bit. I won’t pretend to know who every teams (nfl and college) OL coach is. I had not seen his name attached to this opening previously but that clearly doesn’t make it a bad hire, I was just a little surprised. Just based on what I’ve read, I’m quite optimistic about it actually. I do know many people on here was all about Matt Luke as a OL position coach and the fact that he was Luke’s choice should speak volumes to those folks. You can’t like Matt Luke and not like this guy I think. 

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

It sounds like he's an excellent evaluator of talent - not just a good recruiter. Especially at OL, that seems like the tool I'd most like my OL coach to be carrying with him on the recruiting trail. 

21 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

It sounds like he's an excellent evaluator of talent - not just a good recruiter. Especially at OL, that seems like the tool I'd most like my OL coach to be carrying with him on the recruiting trail. 

This is gold.   I think it’s one of the biggest things that people overlook.   

Archived