Jack Bicknell, Jr. -- New OL Coach

Auhud08

12 hours ago, japantiger said:

No, just looking for someone that anybody else wanted; instead of Gus, again and again and again, going to the Island of Misfit Coaches for a hire.

Hand left here for Texas so your wrong!

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, AuJoe said:

Tough question for you Bird (and anyone else who might want to reasonably opine), how would you rate this guy (recruiting, experience NFL and college, X's and O's, intangibles, anything else) compared to your preferred pick of Josh Henson? Better, even, close second, far below, not easy to decipher, gonna have to wait and see, none of the above?

Henson is by far a superior recruiter. However, I believe Bicknell is a superior developer. I can't really talk with regards to Bicknell's recruiting prowess.

I believe, with the players we have on the team now and the JUCOS coming in, the need for a dynamic developer outweighs the need for a dynamic recruiter. 

17 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Announcing during the national championship game just screams “we are excited about this hire and want to let everyone know”

just don’t understand how Gus thinks

Yep, the entire nation has been on the edge of their seats waiting on this announcement. Heard a couple of the morning news shows mention the timing.

Ok, we did not catch a lot of breaks this season on offense (except for those three straight completions in the Iron Bowl and Seth's game winner vs Oregon).   

I have a funny feeling we caught two breaks lately:

Chad Morris ( if we can keep him for 2+ years, so he can make a difference ).

This OL Coach (same - if he stays).

Both look like really good hires.   Maybe we are turning a new page.  When is the A Day game?  I am picking Blue this year.  Is there a line out on the game yet?  

Now...I hate to be so greedy, but let's convince Bro Jones he has a once in a lifetime opportunity here at Auburn.

5 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

So now the battle for Broderick Jones begins with the new UGA OL coach saying  how he should not go got Auburn because their OL used to work for me and the new OL coach at Auburn saying don’t go to UGA I used to work for that guy.

He's not going to have to sell that, he can sell immediate playing time at the in-state school.  I don't see us landing Jones but hope I'm wrong.

29 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Big if there! Just looking at his coaching history he hasn't really stayed in the same spot for more than 2 years in a while.

52 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Big if there! Just looking at his coaching history he hasn't really stayed in the same spot for more than 2 years in a while.

Was it by his choice or not?   I was wondering that same thing

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Seems like he keeps hitching his wagon to the wrong horses. Not sure about all of them but at least a couple times his boss got fired. 

Looks like a great hire. Lot's of good experience, HC experience, NFL experience, has brought in good classes at other schools. I'm sure over the next couple of weeks we can pick the guy apart so that by the time Spring practice starts he will be the worst hire of all time.  

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Seems like he keeps hitching his wagon to the wrong horses. Not sure about all of them but at least a couple times his boss got fired. 

lol. Oh, oh....will that pattern follow him at Auburn? 

Just now, McLoofus said:

This hire looks better all the time... I keed

Keeding aside.

I will say for all the gnashing of OL teeth many of our fellow posters did on this opening and what they were expecting Good Ol' Gus to do...I think this is as good as a hire as many of the others that have been successful for Gus.

He has NFL experience. Check.

He has coached in the college ranks and even in the SEC. Check.

He has a pedigree in his family tree. Check.

He has proven track record of very good OLs in the pros and college. Check.

He's not a Gus groupie or in the Gus' offensive tree of coaches.  Big CHECK! 

Just now, steeleagle said:

Keeding aside.

I will say for all the gnashing of OL teeth many of our fellow posters did on this opening and what they were expecting Good Ol' Gus to do...I think this is as good as a hire as many of the others that have been successful for Gus.

He has NFL experience. Check.

He has coached in the college ranks and even in the SEC. Check.

He has a pedigree in his family tree. Check.

He has proven track record of very good OLs in the pros and college. Check.

He's not a Gus groupie or in the Gus' offensive tree of coaches.  Big CHECK! 

Totally agree. I'm very pleased with the hire. 

If we see an aggressive blocking scheme predicated on getting below the pads of their opponents and driving forward with the emphasis on pushing the LOS 3 yards downfield PLUS evidence that there's an S&C program in place that helps them in that goal, then it's probably a fantastic hire.

If the scheme is the same and the linemen continue to be pushed back into the running lanes while being flipped into backwards somersaults.....then the problem.....is still......somebody else.

16 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Grimes could coach. Didn't matter with the lack of talent he had coming in because he couldn't recruit worth a damn.

A good coach can turn 3 star recruits into 5 stars. JB couldn’t do that 

I really like this hire. Did not see this coming. I think between Morris and Bicknell, we have upgraded our coaching staff on the offensive side of the ball. I hope that Gus will relent in many ways and become the CEO/coach he has talked about over the years. I would love to see 1 season from start to finish where Gus acts and behaves like a CEO/HC. 

Who knows? Maybe we will pull an LSU in 2020 and surprise the college football world with something really special.

WDE Doc!

15 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

In the college game recruiting is more important than coaching. The margin of error is a lot more wide if you can recruit and have more talent at your disposal. JB Grimes looked great in 2013 and 2014 with the players Jeff Grimes recruited. Not so much when he had to coach his less talented players. What's the issue again? I was pretty clear on what I was trying to say. Ol is our least talented position group. We need a great recruiter there more than anything to stock the cupboard.

I was responding to a poster who said about Bicknell that he did not care about whether he could coach but could he recruit.  I was not trying to address whether jb was a good coach/recruiter.  

However, when you say recruiting is more important than coaching I have to disagree.  In the realm of recruiting the upper 4*s and 5* we start off behind bama, lsu , georgia etc and that pool is not very large to begin with.  However, if you have a good coach that facilitates recruiting.  If your coach is sending his players to the NFL, the high school athletes will see that his players are being drafted and starting on NFL rosters which really impacts recruiting.

20 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Lol. I get the feeling if Gus gave everyone on here a gold ingot, there would be a majority who complained that he placed it in their wrong hand...

Gus struck gold in 2013. He stubbornly spent the next 7 years still digging in the same spot, even though it was clear there was nothing else left in that mine. 

1 hour ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

A good coach can turn 3 star recruits into 5 stars. JB couldn’t do that 

And even better, make talented 4 and 5 star recruits play like talented 4 and 5 star recruits.

3 hours ago, Beaker said:

Ok, we did not catch a lot of breaks this season on offense (except for those three straight completions in the Iron Bowl and Seth's game winner vs Oregon).   

I have a funny feeling we caught two breaks lately:

Chad Morris ( if we can keep him for 2+ years, so he can make a difference ).

Both look like really good hires.   Maybe we are turning a new page.  When is the A Day game?  I am picking Blue this year.  Is there a line out on the game yet? 

What I like is everything I heard suggests Chad Morris was closely involved in this hire. If CGM can trust CCM and CKS, perhaps CGM can successfully move to the next level of "CEO Coach" from his current very hand-on approach. Obviously, the jury is still out.

10 hours ago, bigbird said:

Trying to find a little more on our new OL coach, I came across this. Not much, but something.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Getting-to-know-new-Auburn-Tigers-offensive-line-coach-Jack-Bicknell-Jr-142146257/Amp/

Thanks for this post.  About as close to an objective view as exists on the site relative to his ability as a coach.  I hope the guy can perform miracles with the talent we have; because that is what will matter next year.  I don't think his recruiting ability will save his or Gus's job as he won't be around long enough for it to matter if he can't "shift the mean" on the group we have quickly.  If as someone on here said his lines have "an attitude", and drive folks back, then the rushing game will immediately improve and we have a chance to have an offense again 

21 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Actually, it's called animosity. An apathetic person is indifferent and probably wouldn't bother to post anything. But I get it..

I was thinking the same thing. Wish it was apathy.....

I'm sure it has probably been mentioned.....but I want to see our line come off the ball hitting them in the mouth with their pads and driving them off the line....no more 'patty cake' blocks with our hands...using our shoulders....be aggressive on every play!!!! Also we need to get STRONGER. Hopefully he can emphasis this during winter workouts....not asking for much, just something that we expect....welcome coach...

22 hours ago, EagleEye67 said:

Are you complaining?

No. Frankly I could care less how stupid people make themselves look. 

It just gets old. However I am all but  the only person that calls out the people who constantly complain about the complainers.

I mean I guess those people are welcome to make their own website called AU Unicorns and Rainbows and make any criticism strictly against the TOS. 

But they wont.

So people on both sides need to make peace and shut the he double hockey sticks up.

Archived