Null



Sign in to follow this  
Auhud08

Jack Bicknell, Jr. -- New OL Coach

Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Saw this from another board and bringing it over here:

 

Bo Nix was ranked 101st of all QBs this year by Pro Football Focus:

101. BO NIX – AUBURN

Preseason Rank: 96; Week 6 Rank: 88; Week 12 Rank: 96

The SEC Freshman of the Year was certainly not in the running to win such an award from us at PFF, as Nix continually didn’t grade well all season long, finishing with 18 turnover-worthy passes (T-28th) to just 17 big-time throws (T-47th). His highlight-reel plays were something, but he was far too often inaccurate with the ball, throwing an uncatchable, inaccurate pass on 26.5% of his throws. He finished as just the 105th-ranked quarterback in passing grade while his 63.0% completion percentage from a clean pocket ranked just 128th. He did some things well, however, as he was rather sharp on throws across the middle of the field, seeing an 81.5 passing grade and completing 93-of-133 passes for 1,036 yards and eight scores on throws targeted between the numbers last season.

I try to explain this to people but they won't see it. I wonder is he the highest rated freshman

  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Saw this from another board and bringing it over here:

 

Bo Nix was ranked 101st of all QBs this year by Pro Football Focus:

101. BO NIX – AUBURN

Preseason Rank: 96; Week 6 Rank: 88; Week 12 Rank: 96

The SEC Freshman of the Year was certainly not in the running to win such an award from us at PFF, as Nix continually didn’t grade well all season long, finishing with 18 turnover-worthy passes (T-28th) to just 17 big-time throws (T-47th). His highlight-reel plays were something, but he was far too often inaccurate with the ball, throwing an uncatchable, inaccurate pass on 26.5% of his throws. He finished as just the 105th-ranked quarterback in passing grade while his 63.0% completion percentage from a clean pocket ranked just 128th. He did some things well, however, as he was rather sharp on throws across the middle of the field, seeing an 81.5 passing grade and completing 93-of-133 passes for 1,036 yards and eight scores on throws targeted between the numbers last season.

That's a little harsh.  I had him 93rd in my rankings.

  • Love 1
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tiger said:

63.0% completion percentage from a clean pocket ranked just 128th. 

This is the number that stands out to me. 

Down and distance would be another metric worth considering. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

This is the number that stands out to me. 

Down and distance would be another metric worth considering. 

https://secstatcat.com/sec/passer-stats

It's a trove of information, like Bo hit 31% of his passes between 11-20 yards and 37% beyond 20 yards.

Edited by dyehardfanAU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

https://secstatcat.com/sec/passer-stats

It's a trove of information, like Bo hit 31% of his passes between 11-20 yards and 37% beyond 20 yards.

Still hard to believe we were competitive as often as we were.  We had a QB in the bottom quartile, no Oline or running game and somehow (I know why; defense played lights out) managed to hang in with top flight competition.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Tiger said:

Saw this from another board and bringing it over here:

 

Bo Nix was ranked 101st of all QBs this year by Pro Football Focus:

101. BO NIX – AUBURN

Preseason Rank: 96; Week 6 Rank: 88; Week 12 Rank: 96

The SEC Freshman of the Year was certainly not in the running to win such an award from us at PFF, as Nix continually didn’t grade well all season long, finishing with 18 turnover-worthy passes (T-28th) to just 17 big-time throws (T-47th). His highlight-reel plays were something, but he was far too often inaccurate with the ball, throwing an uncatchable, inaccurate pass on 26.5% of his throws. He finished as just the 105th-ranked quarterback in passing grade while his 63.0% completion percentage from a clean pocket ranked just 128th. He did some things well, however, as he was rather sharp on throws across the middle of the field, seeing an 81.5 passing grade and completing 93-of-133 passes for 1,036 yards and eight scores on throws targeted between the numbers last season.

Dang, if only our coaches had access to stats and could see what types of passes he was most successful at making....

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Tiger said:

He did some things well, however, as he was rather sharp on throws across the middle of the field, seeing an 81.5 passing grade and completing 93-of-133 passes for 1,036 yards and eight scores on throws targeted between the numbers last season.

Well, he's definitely in the right offense for him!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bigbird said:

Well, he's definitely in the right offense for him!

It is an easier throw but also more bad things can happen if not completed.  
We all saw how inaccurate Trevor was throwing to sidelines on the move with LSU chasing after him.  Not comparing the two but it is a difficult throw, especially on the run.  

  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, PigskinPat said:

Dang, if only our coaches had access to stats and could see what types of passes he was most successful at making....

True...BUT.... the good news is that none of the opposition has these numbers and therefore has no idea about how to defend him.  😊

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wondered all season if  Bo needs glasses. Especially when he rolled out. Multiple times he had receivers wide open in front of him and he would throw the ball away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, imaolgatiger said:

I wondered all season if  Bo needs glasses. Especially when he rolled out. Multiple times he had receivers wide open in front of him and he would throw the ball away.

Maybe glasses like LSU got Burrow. His 2018 stats eerily similar to Bo's 2019 stats.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, imaolgatiger said:

I wondered all season if  Bo needs glasses. Especially when he rolled out. Multiple times he had receivers wide open in front of him and he would throw the ball away.

Do they make glasses for tunnel vision?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Tiger said:

Saw this from another board and bringing it over here:

 

Bo Nix was ranked 101st of all QBs this year by Pro Football Focus:

101. BO NIX – AUBURN

Preseason Rank: 96; Week 6 Rank: 88; Week 12 Rank: 96

The SEC Freshman of the Year was certainly not in the running to win such an award from us at PFF, as Nix continually didn’t grade well all season long, finishing with 18 turnover-worthy passes (T-28th) to just 17 big-time throws (T-47th). His highlight-reel plays were something, but he was far too often inaccurate with the ball, throwing an uncatchable, inaccurate pass on 26.5% of his throws. He finished as just the 105th-ranked quarterback in passing grade while his 63.0% completion percentage from a clean pocket ranked just 128th. He did some things well, however, as he was rather sharp on throws across the middle of the field, seeing an 81.5 passing grade and completing 93-of-133 passes for 1,036 yards and eight scores on throws targeted between the numbers last season.

I’m not a big believer in PFF. For example, how can they evaluate every snap of every game for every team all year to determine and record every turnover worthy pass, big-time throws, and inaccurate passes. It would take an army of employees to do and record all of that for every game and team. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I’m not a big believer in PFF. For example, how can they evaluate every snap of every game for every team all year to determine and record every turnover worthy pass, big-time throws, and inaccurate passes. It would take an army of employees to do and record all of that for every game and team. 

Sometimes their OL stats seem weird but IDK anything about their company structure and whether or not they have the manpower to do these things but I have no reason to believe they don't have the resources to do that. And admittedly I don't know anything about them so maybe I'm just ignorant

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tiger said:

Sometimes their OL stats seem weird but IDK anything about their company structure and whether or not they have the manpower to do these things but I have no reason to believe they don't have the resources to do that. And admittedly I don't know anything about them so maybe I'm just ignorant

FWIW, you aren’t being ignorant at all and I wasn’t being critical of your post. I actually enjoy reading some of their assessments but then realized to accumulate the stats they report, you would not only have to record every snap for every player, you would have to isolate on each player each snap to grade them. I’m sure there is method to their madness, but I dont believe for a minute that there are 100 D1 QBs in the nation better than Bo. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

FWIW, you aren’t being ignorant at all and I wasn’t being critical of your post. I actually enjoy reading some of their assessments but then realized to accumulate the stats they report, you would not only have to record every snap for every player, you would have to isolate on each player each snap to grade them. I’m sure there is method to their madness, but I dont believe for a minute that there are 100 D1 QBs in the nation better than Bo. 

This is essentially what I said about Phil Steele before the season when he made a ridiculous prediction for our OL. And it wasn't ridiculous to anyone who doesn't follow our team religiously. Like you said, it's not an insult to these folks. They are good at their jobs and they provide a valuable product. But they can only do so much.

What I will say about that 101st ranking, though- and this isn't a retort to anything you've posted- is that it's unlikely that they mistakenly ranked a, say, top-25 guy that low. If we're showing up in the bottom third in the nation on any poll, ranking or category of production, then we're probably doing something pretty badly. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

I’m not a big believer in PFF. For example, how can they evaluate every snap of every game for every team all year to determine and record every turnover worthy pass, big-time throws, and inaccurate passes. It would take an army of employees to do and record all of that for every game and team. 

You make a very valid point.  In addition, I would like to bring out the point that who were the ones reviewing the films.  In other words were they legitimate college or pro  coaches making the assessments or was it sports journalists doing it.  If it was journalists, I know they dont know shite from shinola about football.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are AUBURN. Why cant we make a hire so good that everyone is like YES!!!  We get a OL coach from Ol Miss? Because Ol Miss has been unstoppable?  Why cant we get an elite QB that everybody is like YES!!!  Why do we hire Mediocre coaches that can only get mediocre talent and expect to be an elite football power? I'm tired of Auburn being average.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, imaolgatiger said:

I wondered all season if  Bo needs glasses. Especially when he rolled out. Multiple times he had receivers wide open in front of him and he would throw the ball away.

Good Lord don't let Gus see this. The defense already knows whether we're running or passing. I can see Gus now, sending in Worm with Bo's glasses because we're rolling him out. 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, norcuron said:

We are AUBURN. Why cant we make a hire so good that everyone is like YES!!!  We get a OL coach from Ol Miss? Because Ol Miss has been unstoppable?  Why cant we get an elite QB that everybody is like YES!!!  Why do we hire Mediocre coaches that can only get mediocre talent and expect to be an elite football power? I'm tired of Auburn being average.

You can have peyton manning back there but as long as we have bozo calling plays it isn't going to matter much.

Edited by Carnell
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Carnell said:

You can have peyton manning back there but as long as we have an bozo calling plays it isn't going to matter much.

tou·ché

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

What I will say about that 101st ranking, though- and this isn't a retort to anything you've posted- is that it's unlikely that they mistakenly ranked a, say, top-25 guy that low. If we're showing up in the bottom third in the nation on any poll, ranking or category of production, then we're probably doing something pretty badly. 

I can certainly appreciate that perspective. And Bo has much to work on. I see the same flaws in parts of his game others see. But another way to evaluate him: if he could enter the transfer portal with immediate eligibility, I bet a surprising amount of Power 5 schools would be on the phone very quickly. The list of those schools would not reflect the bottom third. Now what Gus is able to do make him shine in his system, that is another discussion altogether. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See I dont "get it" Gatewood was built for Gus's system but he picked Nix. I am perplexed. I figure a booster has something to do with it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, norcuron said:

See I dont "get it" Gatewood was built for Gus's system but he picked Nix. I am perplexed. I figure a booster has something to do with it.

 

It may be, but I tend to believe it's more a Bo having a better understanding of the offense, and what goes into being a 'complete' QB. And I am guessing here but i think in film study, and QB sessions he was much more confident than Gatewood was. (And a lot of this has to do with all the skills training and experience Bo had in HS vs Gatewood who predominantly was used in run first options).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this