#14 With Four Losses

aucanucktiger

90% of the posters on here I would hate to have on any team i played on or coached.  And for the naysayers, yes I did both . I played semi professional baseball and coached in high schools.  The whining and crying , non endless, is sickening.  I can understand disappointment as only a win was acceptable to me as a player.  But to not see that we WERE NOT the best team in the SEC this year is to be blind.  To not see the problems why we were not is to be blind.  To whine is to be -- I don't know what-- but it ain't acceptable in individuals who are mature and accept reality.

Gus Gus Gus..... Yes Gus is a problem, but so was a freshman QB, a line that never lived up to it's billing, and  mistakes that plagued us at the worse times.  Injuries at certain positions , in certain games.... You call them excuses- but i call them reality.  Great teams overcome such.  We were not a great team.  We were a good team that did not get the breaks we needed to go all the way.

There comes a time you either grow and heal, or you back up and you keep festered  in the problems of  the past.... 

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, gr82be said:

Does this mean Auburn gets a participation trophy for our case? I know it was a difficult schedule but we still didn't win anything. Great teams beat other great teams. Otherwise your just a good team. We're paying for greatness and we're getting "but we were so close". 

"Close" only counts in horse shoes, hand grenades, and sloooooowwwww dancin'.

1 minute ago, AUfan_UAgrad said:

"Close" only counts in horse shoes, hand grenades, and sloooooowwwww dancin'.

Slow Dancing.....Only kind I could ever do.....  But who needed other?  

I have never seen a group of "Fans" that hated a team more than many on here (Don't come back with it's not the team it's Gus either). Move on!!!!!! Last year is over. We made a move on Off. to get better. We hired one of the best OC's and O'line coaches around. We still have great coaches on the Def. side and some really good players coming back next year. We should be better on Off. and can be still really good on Def.. Let's look forward and stop all the griping ( it's really old).

1 hour ago, shabby said:

Oh so we didnt have a freshman phenom surrounded  by the best receivers and offensive line in the nation. Oh lordy

Why didnt we finish 1st. Yall are ridiculous. Sorry. Not everyone gets to be number one. We got there in 2010 and real close in 2013. Gus played a huge part in that. I'm okay with top 20 finishes with shots at glory. 

1) Roster management and recruiting is in the coaches.

2) I'd rather be consistently great.  If Auburn freaking basketball can win big consistently, then football absolutely can.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

That is one of the most beautiful, perfectly stated examples of a loser's mentality. Thank you.

14th is a victory? Just wow...

Your welcome. I mean I would define loser mentality as being constantly whiny. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Congrats on having your kind of coach leading the team. Although I'm not sure about the shots at glory thing. Last time was 6 years ago. 

I wasnt aware 2017 was 6 years ago

Just now, shabby said:

Your welcome. I mean I would define loser mentality as being constantly whiny. 

Then you either don't know what it is or just don't know how to define it.

1 minute ago, shabby said:

I wasnt aware 2017 was 6 years ago

We scored 7 points in the SECCG, didn't make it to the playoffs and lost our bowl game against a G5 opponent. Not exactly taking a shot at glory. 

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Then you either don't know what it is or just don't know how to define it.

I sure know how to spot it though. 10 triggered want to be fans all upset because someone is satisfied with finishing 14th in the polls. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

We scored 7 points in the SECCG, didn't make it to the playoffs and lost our bowl game against a G5 opponent. Not exactly taking a shot at glory. 

What's that game called again? SEC CHAMPIONSHIP. oh and did you mention we just came off two back to back victories against number 1 ranked teams with our number one back injured

3 hours ago, shabby said:

Ending the season ranked 14th isn't a moral victory its a victory. 

Try asking Clemson if finishing 2nd is a victory to them. I'm sure they're all walking on sunshine today.

4 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Try asking Clemson if finishing 2nd is a victory to them. I'm sure they're all walking on sunshine today.

exactly...but...

If you asked me if I would take finishing 2nd over finishing consistently out of the playoffs and the top ten...then I might begrudgingly say...ok.:)

I was at the BCS game against FLA St, and I felt like 'you know what' after that game coming in 2nd, but I was looking forward to opportunities to compete again just like that to get back to it....

....Never has happened since...so 14th is NOT acceptable ever!!

3 hours ago, shabby said:

14th is a good not great finish for a team with a freshman qb. The hyperbole is everyone makes it out as a terrible season or a mediocre season. It was not. It was a good season. That was a few close games away from being a great season as the original post stated. 

We shouldn't have had to start a Fr QB behind a scrub OL.  That's my biggest beef with it.  Poor program management led to this season.

9 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Six teams on our schedule FINISHED in the top 10. We started and ended the regular season by beating a team that finished in the top 10. We lost to the national champion final by 3, #4 & #10 by a TD and #6 by 11 (notwithstanding Derrick tripping on a blade of grass). I don't rant about refs but man oh man if they just called HALF the holding of Davidson & Brown by UF, UGa and/or (especially) LSU... 

Those teams wouldn't have been ranked as high if we'd have beaten them.  This is a moral victory post.

1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

exactly...but...

If you asked me if I would take finishing 2nd over finishing consistently out of the playoffs and the top ten...then I might begrudgingly say...ok.:)

I was at the BCS game against FLA St, and I felt like 'you know what' after that game coming in 2nd, but I was looking forward to opportunities to compete again just like that to get back to it....

....Never has happened since...so 14th is NOT acceptable ever!!

Oh yeah because Clemson has a champion's mindset now and they know they have an excellent chance to return to the playoffs. They're not happy but sure, it's better than 14th. I can't understand anyone saying that's a victory if they have a competitive bone in their body. Another way to look at is is that Dabo has them in serious contention for #1 every year, all season long. We are in serious contention maybe every 5 years. Now that's not bad on the surface but when you know that 2 of your rivals are in serious contention every year and a 3rd one may have joined that club then every 5 years is not that good. As it stands out recent history shows that we are in contention for a Top 20 finish but not Top 10. Hey, 14 is better than 15 so there's that I guess. There's not a player on our team that thinks finishing #14 is a victory. Pretty sure Brown didn't come back because he wanted to finish 14th.

59 minutes ago, bg5 said:

I have never seen a group of "Fans" that hated a team more than many on here (Don't come back with it's not the team it's Gus either). Move on!!!!!! Last year is over. We made a move on Off. to get better. We hired one of the best OC's and O'line coaches around. We still have great coaches on the Def. side and some really good players coming back next year. We should be better on Off. and can be still really good on Def.. Let's look forward and stop all the griping ( it's really old).

Interesting take. You know what's really old for me? The same old BS from Gus no matter who the personnel or assistant coaches are. The floundering against our rivals over and over and over again. The not living up to his salary. The off-season hope to only see the same sh*tshow on offense every year. The waiting for Gus to *get it* and grow out of his coaching infancy while being paid top dollar and showing minimal results when it comes to evolving and improving. THAT is what gets old. 7 years old to be precise. Some of us are quicker to catch on though and pivot our thinking. 

56 minutes ago, bg5 said:

In what world is wanting better for AU hate?  Your argument is null.

I don't understand having a soft stance like yeah we lost but we had a freshman QB and at the same time trying to be tough and tell other people to stop whining.....that's backwards to me. 

6 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Interesting take. You know what's really old for me? The same old BS from Gus no matter who the personnel or assistant coaches are. The floundering against our rivals over and over and over again. The not living up to his salary. The off-season hope to only see the same sh*tshow on offense every year. The waiting for Gus to *get it* and grow out of his coaching infancy while being paid top dollar and showing minimal results when it comes to evolving and improving. THAT is what gets old. Some of us are quicker to catch on though and pivot our thinking. 

Your not quicker than me on the Gus stuff. My point is that I am sick of the constant gripping about it. The horse has been dead for a while. Since he will be here next year we need to get behind the team and hope that the coaching moves will help. I just don't see the point in every other post saying we need to fire the guy. We know already it's been said 1000's maybe 10,000's of time on here. Those of us who can pivot off that are moving forward. I want him to succeed most don't. I have seen people post on here that they would be ok with us losing a game so that he would go. To me that's just wrong. We have a #14 football team with a #50 fanbase attitude.

11 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

In what world is wanting better for AU hate?  Your argument is null.

My point is that it has been said a 1000 times. We need to move forward. Since he will be here next year let's get behind the time and stop griping. I'm fine with wanting better. I do too it's just the constant saying it over and over and over and over that I'm tired of. Everyone gets it. Nothing null about that.

1 hour ago, shabby said:

What's that game called again? SEC CHAMPIONSHIP. oh and did you mention we just came off two back to back victories against number 1 ranked teams with our number one back injured

You mean the two teams that played for the national championship? 

A lot of the posters on this board had us winning 6 or less and are complaining that we only won 9. So did Gus do a better job than expected? I believe that their forecast proves that a lot of them don’t really know crap about football? 

9 minutes ago, imaolgatiger said:

A lot of the posters on this board had us winning 6 or less and are complaining that we only won 9. So did Gus do a better job than expected? I believe that their forecast proves that a lot of them don’t really know crap about football? 

Most of us never listened to those who had us winning 6. That is not Gus' history. 

The majority had us around 8-9 b/c Gus had that favorable Alabama/GA games at home situation. 

The problem was that once we beat Alabama we now thought we could coast to his first 10 win season since 2017.

We should have known better and we forgot Gus' history in bowl games. Only wins when the other team isn't ranked.

3 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

As I sit here and type I am convinced that Gus, by way of CCM, sees the possibilities an offense similar to LSU’s will put him and his offense into the elite category.  Book it.

Judging by the yellow font, I agree with you. I truly feel Gus is still convinced his way is still better, it just has to be executed properly. It’s maddening.

Archived