#14 With Four Losses

aucanucktiger

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Six teams on our schedule FINISHED in the top 10. We started and ended the regular season by beating a team that finished in the top 10. We lost to the national champion final by 3, #4 & #10 by a TD and #6 by 11 (notwithstanding Derrick tripping on a blade of grass). I don't rant about refs but man oh man if they just called HALF the holding of Davidson & Brown by UF, UGa and/or (especially) LSU... 

Are you trying to rub salt in the wound? I'm not into moral victories. Two teams that we beat ranked higher than us. I'm struggling to find the positives in all this.

14th is a good not great finish for a team with a freshman qb. The hyperbole is everyone makes it out as a terrible season or a mediocre season. It was not. It was a good season. That was a few close games away from being a great season as the original post stated. 

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I'm just that much more frustrated that our self-appointed play caller turned a playoff-caliber team into a 4-loss team. Again.

I am with you. It made me angry watching that game last night. What could have been... I have come to the realization that we will always be good with Gus but never elite. Just OK. 

Next year we will win 8-9 games again, rinse and repeat. 

1 minute ago, shabby said:

14th is a good not great finish for a team with a freshman qb. The hyperbole is everyone makes it out as a terrible season or a mediocre season. It was not. It was a good season. That was a few close games away from being a great season as the original post stated. 

I'm sorry, but in modern college football, the freshman/young QB thing at a major school is a crutch that doesn't work anymore.  Some examples:

- Jake Fromm won the SEC and went to the natty as a freshman.

- Tua led a massive comeback in the natty and won the game for Bama as a freshman.

- Trevor Lawrence won it all as a freshman.

- Justin Fields had limited playing time at UGA.  Took Ohio State to the playoffs as a sophomore.

- Jalen Hurts was a true freshman when he started at Bama in 2016 and took them to the title game.

In today's game, you can either play or you can't.  And if the excuse is "well we started a freshman QB", then all blame and concern needs to go to those whose job includes roster management.

13 minutes ago, shabby said:

You realize this was our head coach's 7th season, right? He doesn't get to blame the roster. 

Also, as @Brad_ATX pointed out, several other extremely successful teams have also played freshman QBs. Why didn't they lose 4 games, also?

One more thing. We had a championship caliber unit on this team. It wasn't the one that our head coach has micromanaged into abject mediocrity. Our defense was good enough to win every game but we still managed to lose four games because of our offense. The same guy who's been calling the shots for 7 years. You call that victory? 

14 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I am with you. It made me angry watching that game last night. What could have been... I have come to the realization that we will always be good with Gus but never elite. Just OK. 

Imagine thinking that's a known quantity too precious to risk. 

28 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I'm sorry, but in modern college football, the freshman/young QB thing at a major school is a crutch that doesn't work anymore.  Some examples:

- Jake Fromm won the SEC and went to the natty as a freshman.

- Tua led a massive comeback in the natty and won the game for Bama as a freshman.

- Trevor Lawrence won it all as a freshman.

- Justin Fields had limited playing time at UGA.  Took Ohio State to the playoffs as a sophomore.

- Jalen Hurts was a true freshman when he started at Bama in 2016 and took them to the title game.

In today's game, you can either play or you can't.  And if the excuse is "well we started a freshman QB", then all blame and concern needs to go to those whose job includes roster management.

Oh so we didnt have a freshman phenom surrounded  by the best receivers and offensive line in the nation. Oh lordy

Why didnt we finish 1st. Yall are ridiculous. Sorry. Not everyone gets to be number one. We got there in 2010 and real close in 2013. Gus played a huge part in that. I'm okay with top 20 finishes with shots at glory. 

19 minutes ago, shabby said:

I'm okay with top 20 finishes with shots at glory. 

Congrats on having your kind of coach leading the team. Although I'm not sure about the shots at glory thing. Last time was 6 years ago. 

1 hour ago, shabby said:

Ending the season ranked 14th isn't a moral victory its a victory. 

That is one of the most beautiful, perfectly stated examples of a loser's mentality. Thank you.

14th is a victory? Just wow...

1 hour ago, shabby said:

Oh so we didnt have a freshman phenom surrounded  by the best receivers and offensive line in the nation. Oh lordy

Why didnt we finish 1st. Yall are ridiculous. Sorry. Not everyone gets to be number one. We got there in 2010 and real close in 2013. Gus played a huge part in that. I'm okay with top 20 finishes with shots at glory. 

We probably saw games quite differently this year.   

We lost by small margins to higher ranked teams (except Minn), but if you look at how we lost and how easy it was for the opposing Def Coordinator to outcoach Gus, then you would understand.  

In my opinion only Georgia and LSU had equal or better talent on the field than Auburn.  

2010  is a faded memory of how Gus called plays vs. today.  The rules have changed that have minimized the HUNH and Gus doesn't adjust or update his approach.  Coaches know how to negate our HUNH based on how Gus calls plays (very predictable).  

2013 showcased the quickest and fastest QB any P5 team has ever produced, before the rules changed.

If Gus doesn't change, adapt, we won't see another "shot at glory."   That is the point people are making.   

"You are what your record says you are."

16 minutes ago, bigbird said:

That is one of the most beautiful, perfectly stated examples of a loser's mentality. Thank you.

14th is a victory? Just wow...

We ended up better than Iowa!   So there!       😆

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

We really need to look at the positives going into the hype season.  You mentioned the game last night and it was very impressive the way LSU’s offense adjusted on the fly to take a lead gong into the half.  Their defense, in the second half, was great save the first drive from Clemson.

As I sit here and type I am convinced that Gus, by way of CCM, sees the possibilities an offense similar to LSU’s will put him and his offense into the elite category.  Book it.

I got a positive.

Our previous qb would run around and get sacked because no one was open.

This year, our qb would run around and throw it out of bounds because no one was open.

Am I doing this right?

1 hour ago, shabby said:

Why didnt we finish 1st. Yall are ridiculous. Sorry. Not everyone gets to be number one. ...real close in 2013. Gus played a huge part in that. I'm okay with top 20 finishes with shots at glory. 

Trolling Butch Jones is getting old - A to Z Sports Nashville

1 hour ago, shabby said:

I'm okay with top 20 finishes with shots at glory. 

Majority of us here are not. You will be the minority. Guess you will have to deal with the griping.

5 hours ago, gr82be said:

Does this mean Auburn gets a participation trophy for our case? I know it was a difficult schedule but we still didn't win anything. Great teams beat other great teams. Otherwise your just a good team. We're paying for greatness and we're getting "but we were so close"

After watching LSU in the Championship, and seeing what they felt they had to do to get their offense to complement their defense, we will never get past 'but we were so close' until we redesign our offense....period.

Remember when we used to look back at LSU, and they were similar to us for most of their seasons. Great defenses and sputtering offenses. They always seemed to have the stud RBs, but their QB play or the passing schemes cost them getting past ' but we were so close'. 

We recruit well. We have good solid very good to great defenses. Special teams have been top level over the last 10 years. 

But our offense will keep us ranked in that 11-15 range, and out of the playoff hunt until we change like so many of our competition has done over the last 5-10 years(Alabama and LSU). 

Archived