Central-Phenix City

casatiger

Reports are that Patrick Nix will be taking over that job.  Is this good for us?  I kind of liked him where he was.  I am not sure anyone can help us get kids out of Phenix City.   Could be wrong though.  

36 minutes ago, casatiger said:

Reports are that Patrick Nix will be taking over that job.  Is this good for us?  I kind of liked him where he was.  I am not sure anyone can help us get kids out of Phenix City.   Could be wrong though.  

It's at least a net positive. Even if he doesn't steer kids to Auburn, at least they're not being steered away from Auburn.

Why is it so hard for us to get players out of that school?  It's not that far from Auburn so you wouldn't think it would be that hard.   I know nothing of the "politics" down there.  

It's probably a real mission field, having played them during our two own's high school years and remembering, from growing up in Auburn. I think the student athletes are in for a big blessing, and I can send some prayers that direction, too. 

55 minutes ago, aubietiger14 said:

Why is it so hard for us to get players out of that school?  It's not that far from Auburn so you wouldn't think it would be that hard.   I know nothing of the "politics" down there.  

Phenix City itself has an UBER, UBER fascinating history. Worth a Google. The stories aren't my own, but they are colorful. Maybe some carryover to today... 

59 minutes ago, aubietiger14 said:

That area has always been a heavy populated "bammer area". Several hypothesis as to why, one being a longstanding resentment and rivalry attitude toward the Auburn community for varying reasons. The Drive with Bill Cameron ESPN 106.7 in Auburn a few weeks ago discussed this particular subject and interesting. Coach Dye did have some success there.

52 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Good to hear that Tora.

Should clarify...favorite Methodist preacher and mentor served there in the 1950s. Think Vegas/Chicagoland 1920s, for central Alabama. Lot of clean-up, and law enforcement got a workout. 

2 hours ago, aubietiger14 said:

Part of the reason, to beat a dead horse, is that it is so close. Some kids want to get away and nothing will change that. Very good get for Central though.

10 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Think Vegas/Chicagoland 1920s, for central Alabama.

"While stationed at Fort Benning in 1940, Patton threatened to level the town, and Secretary of War Henry Stimson called it “the wickedest city in America.”

59 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

"While stationed at Fort Benning in 1940, Patton threatened to level the town, and Secretary of War Henry Stimson called it “the wickedest city in America.”

You are ON IT! #legendary

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Part of the reason, to beat a dead horse, is that it is so close. Some kids want to get away and nothing will change that. Very good get for Central though.

That seems to hold true for the Auburn/Opelika area too..even the AU legacy kids. ....Unfortunately. 

My understanding is that the previous coach (Jamey Dubose) was good about not trying to push his players to (or away from) any particular college.  I expect Patrick will the same.  I think the problem with our recruiting in Phenix City is that, despite its proximity to Auburn, it leans pro-Bama; and, across the river, I suspect Columbus has a pretty strong pro-UGA leaning.  

17 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

My understanding is that the previous coach (Jamey Dubose) was good about not trying to push his players to (or away from) any particular college.  I expect Patrick will the same.  I think the problem with our recruiting in Phenix City is that, despite its proximity to Auburn, it leans pro-Bama; and, across the river, I suspect Columbus has a pretty strong pro-UGA leaning.  

Lived down in the area some years ago. Columbus is as much bama as UGA

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

That seems to hold true for the Auburn/Opelika area too..even the AU legacy kids. ....Unfortunately. 

Much truth to this, my AHS graduating class testified...alas, I thought of it, too...until I came to my senses. 

3 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Alabama  National Guard has a ribbon for responding to riots there.

44 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

I think at some point, I see Patrick working his way onto the Auburn staff.

He doesn't have enough high school experience yet.

22 hours ago, aubietiger14 said:

Not an expert on the matter but I'll tell you what I know: The Principle is a big bammer (and a total jerk) who is/was adamantly against the hire. I am shocked the School Board approved Patrick, as the majority of the board are bammers.  I don't now how this worked out but I am so glad it did!

Above are facts this is only my opinion: Patrick's resume was so good they couldn't pass him up....  Patrick had/has a big name or big politician in his corner and they won!

On 1/14/2020 at 4:19 PM, ToraGirl said:

You are ON IT! #legendary

Ya'll need to watch a movie called "The Phenix City Story" 

A crime-busting lawyer and his initially reluctant attorney father take on the forces that run gambling and prostitution in their small Southern town.

In this semidocumentary, an Alabama town is run by a crime syndicate that's grown fat on prostitution and crooked gambling, directed at soldiers from Fort Benning across the river. Lawyer John Patterson, back from the army, is triggered by what he sees to join the reformers with a plan: to run his father Albert for state attorney general. The syndicate responds with escalating violence: is no one safe?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048488/

The Phenix City Story Poster

23 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Ya'll need to watch a movie called "The Phenix City Story" 

A crime-busting lawyer and his initially reluctant attorney father take on the forces that run gambling and prostitution in their small Southern town.

In this semidocumentary, an Alabama town is run by a crime syndicate that's grown fat on prostitution and crooked gambling, directed at soldiers from Fort Benning across the river. Lawyer John Patterson, back from the army, is triggered by what he sees to join the reformers with a plan: to run his father Albert for state attorney general. The syndicate responds with escalating violence: is no one safe?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048488/

The Phenix City Story Poster

I found this on Hulu last night and watched it.  Very interesting history.  Had no idea that area was so corrupt back then.    Thanks for the recommendation! 

34 minutes ago, aubietiger14 said:

I found this on Hulu last night and watched it.  Very interesting history.  Had no idea that area was so corrupt back then.    Thanks for the recommendation! 

It was actually worst then the movie made ot to be also John Patterson who supposely wanted to clean it up was just as corrupt when he became governor

I went and did a little more reading on John Patterson and he doesn't sound like the greatest all around person - cheated on 2 of his wives, segregationist etc.   

Archived