Early odds to win the National Title in 2021

AuburnTiger4Life

• WarTiger changed the title to Early odds to win the National Title in 2021
3 minutes ago, AUwent said:

SOMEONE NEW PLZ. CFB is not fun if the exact same teams in the championship year after year! Miss the BCS.

Until we get a conference mix up and/or expand the playoffs, it’s probably going to be the mostly the same every year. 

Clemson is loaded and is the smart money.  But the value play may be Florida at 15/1. 

They get LSU at home and Georgia has to go to Bama next year, potentially giving UF a bit of a mulligan to work with to make the SEC title game.

53 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Until we get a conference mix up and/or expand the playoffs, it’s probably going to be the mostly the same every year. 

There are basically only 16 teams in play for the CFP every year with the current have/have not structure of the sport. 

We're lucky to be among them, but it's going to get boring for the teeming masses fast. 

7 minutes ago, AUDub said:

There are basically only 16 teams in play for the CFP every year with the current have/have not structure of the sport. 

We're lucky to be among them, but it's going to get boring for the teeming masses fast. 

But really, other than those 16 teams...the rest  of the country is probably more invested in their local NFL team. 

4 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Thanks for choking, Utes.

Oh well, can't complain too hard when UAT don't make the playoffs. And for all the Updykes whining about how it was just because of injuries, as bad as I feel for Tua, how many times have we had a key injury to a player that could've made a huge impact (2014)?

Let's all hope WDE is right.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think expanding the playoff to 8 teams would make any difference. Which teams would you have added to the playoff last year? Utah? Memphis? A crop of 2 loss teams? IMO, all that would accomplish is to increase the risk of players being injured for no reason. It's not like any of those teams would beat LSU or Clemson or tOSU.

On 1/14/2020 at 5:50 PM, sevenlee36 said:

Neither LSU or Clemson win it

Travis Etienne is coming back for another year at Clemson. They may not win it but I think it likely that they are at least in the conversation for most of the season.

On 1/14/2020 at 7:53 PM, aucanucktiger said:

Ohio State vs Bama

I honestly think Bama is on the downside of $aban's career as a HC now.  I don't see them back in the playoff next season. Could be wrong...

On 1/16/2020 at 11:21 AM, Sully to Beasley said:

I believe the country as a whole is tired of the same teams making the playoffs year after year. I know I am. bammer, Clemson, Ohio State, yada, yada, yada. It was nice this year to see LSU in the playoffs instead of the turds and actually winning it all. I wish it could have been us and with the right coaching, it could have been given the talent on the 2019 Auburn team. 

Maybe with Gatewood at QB it could have been. I hesitate to say it, but I'd have put Gatewood in during the Florida game.  And if he lit it up, my starter for the rest of the season likely would have changed. (I sorta came to think the wrong guy won the starting position. I hope Bo proves me wrong as a sophomore.)

On 1/17/2020 at 9:44 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

But really, other than those 16 teams...the rest  of the country is probably more invested in their local NFL team. 

With the way the NFL gets together with cities to extort money from taxpayers for new stadiums and upgrades, "invested" is a great word. Yeah...they're invested all right. ;) 

On 1/17/2020 at 10:35 PM, Brad_ATX said:

Clemson is loaded and is the smart money.  But the value play may be Florida at 15/1. 

They get LSU at home and Georgia has to go to Bama next year, potentially giving UF a bit of a mulligan to work with to make the SEC title game.

I also look for Florida to win the East and get in the SECCG, possibly undefeated.  SEC winner certainly goes to the playoff and loser might make it depending on what happens elsewhere so you have to give them a chance of making it.  

On 1/27/2020 at 5:55 PM, CleCoTiger said:

With the way the NFL gets together with cities to extort money from taxpayers for new stadiums and upgrades, "invested" is a great word. Yeah...they're invested all right. ;) 

You make a good point, but the irony is that all the new stadia... with their PSLs and ticket bot-driven inflation and rising ticket prices even without the PSLs and bots... combined with the improved home AV technology and alternatives to cable and everything else... are likely going to see a continued decline in attendance. That "investment" is more likely to push fans away than invite them in. The high of that new new lasts about 2 or 3 games, and then it's just the place where you go to see the games just like the last place was. (Unless your team is winning at a high level and you're locking in positive emotional associations.) Fortunately for fans in some NFL markets (*cough* ATLANTA! UNITED! *cough*), some of those shiny new stadia are multi-use facilities and the "other" team is actually comparably popular and far more successful. 

Anyway. @ShocksMyBrain is right. Those emotional investments are decades old, very deep, and very real. Most of the country loves their NFL teams just as much as SEC fans think they love their teams. Love for the team representing the city or region where you live is every bit as real as love for the team representing where you spent 4 (or 5, or 6, or 7... shut up) formative years of your young adulthood. And for all the dumb ass takes about NFL players being guns for hire, a *ton* of those dudes stay on one team long past a college player's eligibility at his school. (Matt Ryan and Julio Jones have been playing together in Atlanta for 9 years. Cam Newton was at Auburn for 1.)

/latent rant

I expect uat will drop two or three games next year and it will be nicks farewell tour. The addition of Chad at AU, LSU’s run, Jimbo at TAM, the pirate at mrs st and Lance at OM , offense is fixing to be on the rise in the SEC. Just not nick’s cup of tea. He has money and grandkids. He had a good run though. We will probably see him on ESPN by 2021. 

20 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I expect uat will drop two or three games next year and it will be nicks farewell tour. The addition of Chad at AU, LSU’s run, Jimbo at TAM, the pirate at mrs st and Lance at OM , offense is fixing to be on the rise in the SEC. Just not nick’s cup of tea. He has money and grandkids. He had a good run though. We will probably see him on ESPN by 2021. 

In my household, ESPN will see their rating drop when that comes to pass. A'ight!

Archived