Talent loss at LSU

AlaskanFAN

Well so far we know they have lost

DC - Aranda

Co OC - Brady

GA - John DeCoster  

SR’s - Burrow (QB), Magee (G), Lewis (G), Lawrence (DL), Fehoko (DL), Divinity (LB), Fulton (CB), Ferguson (LS)

JR’s/RSSOPH’s - Edwards-Helaire (RB), Jefferson (WR), Cushenberry (C), Charles (OT), Delpit (S), Phillips (LB), Queen (LB), Moss (TE), Chaisson (DL)

Waiting on - 

• Austin Deculus, Junior (OL)
  • Zach Von Rosenberg, Junior (P)
  • Ray Thornton, Junior (LB)
  • Andre Anthony, Junior (LB)
  • Glen Logan, Junior (DL)

I don’t care how you slice it that is a lot of starters and talent to lose from a team.

Jacoby Stevens (DB), Kary Vincent Jr. (S) and Tyler Shelvin (NT) have announce they will be returning.

Yes, they are a talented team but Burrow and Brady were the difference makers.  They were the ones doing stuff that the opponents couldn’t handle.  

40 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

Yes, they are a talented team but Burrow and Brady were the difference makers.  They were the ones doing stuff that the opponents couldn’t handle.  

I can agree with this.  The question is how Coach O will handle next year’s offense.  Will he attempt to hire a new Co-offensive Coordinator and hope for the same dynamic he had with Brady and Emsminger, or hope Emsminger learned enough about the offense they ran to do it himself and hire a WR coach?

So many questions, time will tell.

Wow!!! Great news

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

Just wanted to add a link.

LSU loses another critical piece and Aranda gets a year or 2 of head coaching experience in case we make a change. 

This was a special, magical season for the Corndogs.  Much like 2010 for us.  They won't have another one of those for a while.  Losing Burrow, CEH and those WRs is huge.  All of the other changes will have an impact as well.  Brady knew to leave while on top!  They will get everybody's best shot next year.

29 minutes ago, penguin149 said:

This was a special, magical season for the Corndogs.  Much like 2010 for us.  They won't have another one of those for a while.  Losing Burrow, CEH and those WRs is huge.  All of the other changes will have an impact as well.  Brady knew to leave while on top!  They will get everybody's best shot next year.

God I hope so...I don't see them outright collapsing the way we did though. While Chizik made some VERY bad decisions, Tubs also deserved some blame with how bad the last couple of recruiting classes he worked on (2009) were. LSU's recruiting never dropped off like that.

The run we had from 2010-13 was the stuff of an HBO drama.

12 hours ago, penguin149 said:

I was thinking the same thing. Very lightning in a bottle. 

uga's offense loses a ton also.

Per ESPN

Georgia's offense will undergo a facelift after quarterback Jake Fromm, a three-year starter, tailback D'Andre Swift and three starting offensive linemen left early for the NFL draft. Top receiver Lawrence Cager and tight ends Eli Wolf and Charlie Woerner are departing, and starting offensive lineman Cade Mays transferred to Tennessee.

I'm pretty curious as to why Thad Moss went to LSU in the first place. When he signed there they were trash on O. You'd think Randy would've advised him to go somewhere else to showcase his skills, but in the end this worked out 100% for him but it was not due to some incredible foresight. Burrow was not on campus when Moss committed. Oh well, I'm glad to see Moss move on.

Saban has been losing coaches and juniors for the past several years along with the injuries. Lets see how coach O responds with his program. I bet he is not as successful. Yes I am a Bama homer but really, how good is O?

15 hours ago, E'Town4Bama said:

how good is O?

Doesn't matter. He's a great recruiter, and smart enough to figure out to hire smarter people than he is to be his assistant coaches. Brady/Burrow was the difference this year, but they will always be talented.

Saban has been losing coaches and juniors for the past several years along with the injuries. Lets see how coach O responds with his program. I bet he is not as successful. Yes I am a Bama homer but really, how good is O?

LSU has ALWAYS been loaded with talent, he will have no problem there.  The knock, especially under Miles was that they were as good at doing less with more talent than just about anybody in the country.  Orgeron was brilliant in leaving Aranda in place, where he got somewhat lucky was the the mesh that occurred between Ensminger and Brady.  It's not easy to catch lightning in bottle twice, but I think Yaw Yaw is just good enough to realize the offensive scheme has got to be progressive.  

As to your question, haha.  Saban has better talent every game he steps on the field.  If he was as good as you think, he should never lose.  Big O was better...and so was Malzahn.  That hurts, eh?

Haha, man, guess nobody took your bait last time?

O showed that he's not married to some outdated philosophy. His philosophy is to get the best players and assistants and let them do their thing. That doesn't automatically translate into success but he is not suffering the same barrier to success that Miles did and that Gus does. And he's at a program that is now officially a blue blood *in my opinion*. (saban, Miles, Orgeron. 3 coaches, 3 national titles (+ a GOAT season that was only undone by one game that was so bizarrely awful and uncharacteristic that the explanation necessarily goes far beyond "bama was just great that night"), top-5 recruiting classes basically built in...)

IMO it is more likely that O continues to succeed at a high level than he doesn't. As successful as saban? As much as I'm sure you and other bama fans enjoy asking it- I certainly would- it's a silly question. It is almost certain that nobody is going to replicate that run (which very well could be over). Congrats. There's your cookie. 

19 hours ago, E'Town4Bama said:

Bama is not going to stay on that historical run any longer.  Saban lacks depth on that defense and he hasn't been loading up on top LB talent for a long while.  His offense will still be strong an super productive but his defenses have had cracks in the foundation. They will remain CFP contenders as long as he's there but going back to back winning NC's and SECC's is over.

5 hours ago, TigerCatcher said:

LSU has ALWAYS been loaded with talent, he will have no problem there.  The knock, especially under Miles was that they were as good at doing less with more talent than just about anybody in the country.  Orgeron was brilliant in leaving Aranda in place, where he got somewhat lucky was the the mesh that occurred between Ensminger and Brady.  It's not easy to catch lightning in bottle twice, but I think Yaw Yaw is just good enough to realize the offensive scheme has got to be progressive.  

As to your question, haha.  Saban has better talent every game he steps on the field.  If he was as good as you think, he should never lose.  Big O was better...and so was Malzahn.  That hurts, eh?

Actually it doesn't because I have enough common sense to realize no team can win every game. It is impossible. No doubt that Bama's run with Saban has been remarkable but it will end sooner than later but I am glad I was here to experience it. There is nothing wrong with having the best talent because you know that is what he is paid to do. Get the talent and coaches and put it together to win championships. That is what every head coach is expected to do. BTW, LSU played against Tua, Auburn didn't but it is what it is. 

Lets see if coach O can get nine strait eleven win seasons and 5 championships. Only time will tell but we know what coach won't do that.  

6 hours ago, keesler said:

Bama is not going to stay on that historical run any longer.  Saban lacks depth on that defense and he hasn't been loading up on top LB talent for a long while.  His offense will still be strong an super productive but his defenses have had cracks in the foundation. They will remain CFP contenders as long as he's there but going back to back winning NC's and SECC's is over.

Early departures and the transfer portal make it difficult to maintain a high level of depth these days.

Bama and LSU have both been losing a lot of Juniors the past few years  and you just can't count on bringing in comparable talent year after year. 

Should be an interesting year in the SEC West in 20 20

On 1/23/2020 at 6:25 PM, penguin149 said:

Along with the toothless NCAA and Emmert turning a blind eye to all things Saban.  Doubt anybody else will get such a pass....

Believe me, AU has gotten away with plenty. Don't ever doubt it. One of my AU buddies senior season was also Dye's last season and he said that one of the RBs coming in after he left made a 7 on his ACT but he played regardless. That RB went on to have a good NFL career. I'll never forget what my bud told me about the ACT score. He said you get a 5 for signing your name. LMAO!!   It happens every where.

5 minutes ago, E'Town4Bama said:

Believe me, AU has gotten away with plenty. Don't ever doubt it. One of my AU buddies senior season was also Dye's last season and he said that one of the RBs coming in after he left made a 7 on his ACT but he played regardless. That RB went on to have a good NFL career. I'll never forget what my bud told me about the ACT score. He said you get a 5 for signing your name. LMAO!!   It happens every where.

Agreed it happens everywhere, but the extent of schools' knowledge about it would be the real question. And your point might be better made if you hadn't used an example from nearly 30 years ago.

Archived