Talent loss at LSU

AlaskanFAN

16 hours ago, Leftfield said:

Agreed it happens everywhere, but the extent of schools' knowledge about it would be the real question. And your point might be better made if you hadn't used an example from nearly 30 years ago.

5, 10, 20 or 30 years ago. What is the difference? You and I are not going to stop what is going on. I am a Bama fan who has always admitted these things go on. The only thing I can do is just enjoy the games and gripe about the officiating just like a lot of other college football fans.  

On 1/26/2020 at 3:28 PM, E'Town4Bama said:

Believe me, AU has gotten away with plenty. Don't ever doubt it. One of my AU buddies senior season was also Dye's last season and he said that one of the RBs coming in after he left made a 7 on his ACT but he played regardless. That RB went on to have a good NFL career. I'll never forget what my bud told me about the ACT score. He said you get a 5 for signing your name. LMAO!!   It happens every where.

You go back to the Dye era for an example? C'mon...you have to do better than that.  AU is about as clean as a D1 FBS team gets.  Hell, in 2010 with Cam the NCAA went through the program with a fine toothed comb. Result? Nada.

11 hours ago, E'Town4Bama said:

5, 10, 20 or 30 years ago. What is the difference? You and I are not going to stop what is going on. I am a Bama fan who has always admitted these things go on. The only thing I can do is just enjoy the games and gripe about the officiating just like a lot of other college football fans.  

The difference is four head coaches, three athletic directors, and....oh, yeah.....30 years. Again, I'm not arguing it doesn't happen, but the degree that the schools are complicit is not the same everywhere, and attitudes can change over three decades.

On 1/26/2020 at 3:28 PM, E'Town4Bama said:

Believe me, AU has gotten away with plenty. Don't ever doubt it. One of my AU buddies senior season was also Dye's last season and he said that one of the RBs coming in after he left made a 7 on his ACT but he played regardless. That RB went on to have a good NFL career. I'll never forget what my bud told me about the ACT score. He said you get a 5 for signing your name. LMAO!!   It happens every where.

Signing and getting a 5 is a myth. Most likely what happened is that he got in under what is known as special admissions that was allowed by the NCAA.

Oklahoma, which accepts about 75 percent of applicants and is considered moderately selective, has typically allowed 50 special admissions to incoming athletes across all sports, with the university’s vice president for admissions setting the number each year.

The only requirement for special admission at OU is that the athlete meets what Gurney called “ridiculously low” NCAA initial academic eligibility standards: a 2.3 grade-point average in core courses and a corresponding SAT or ACT score on a sliding scale. For example, an athlete with a low entrance exam test score would need a higher core-course GPA to qualify.

Of those 50 special admissions at OU, Gurney said, almost all go to football and men’s and women’s basketball players, with non-revenue sports getting whatever’s left.

So the kid probably did have a 7, but as often occurs with strong high school athletes they were given breaks and their GPA elevated. This is for eligibility reasons, or teachers not wanting to block the athlete from college. Enter the sliding scale. Also don't forget that both Auburn and Alabama at that time period posted a 16 ACT as needed for admission. Course everyone did it. The NCAA standards allowed for it.

https://apnews.com/a842ec11faa645b7adf5e75034e8bbf4

On 1/28/2020 at 4:12 PM, Texan4Auburn said:

Signing and getting a 5 is a myth. Most likely what happened is that he got in under what is known as special admissions that was allowed by the NCAA.

So the kid probably did have a 7, but as often occurs with strong high school athletes they were given breaks and their GPA elevated. This is for eligibility reasons, or teachers not wanting to block the athlete from college. Enter the sliding scale. Also don't forget that both Auburn and Alabama at that time period posted a 16 ACT as needed for admission. Course everyone did it. The NCAA standards allowed for it.

https://apnews.com/a842ec11faa645b7adf5e75034e8bbf4

I understand signing and getting a 5 is a myth. It was just funny listening to my friend tell the story. He also told me it sucked that he had to bust his butt to make the grades to stay eligible and certain football players didn't even have to go to class. It is not the same for every ball player but it does go on everywhere. My friend also said that only about 60% of all football players across the board in P5 conferences can actually make the grades to stay eligible. That is why they have been always called mythical national championships because most games should be vacated because of ineligible players on most every team. As fans we all go overboard defending our respected teams because they all are cheating regardless of what degree. 

On 1/26/2020 at 4:28 PM, E'Town4Bama said:

What rock did you crawl out from under

5 hours ago, E'Town4Bama said:

I understand signing and getting a 5 is a myth

Yet earlier you stated it as a fact.

My friend also said that only about 60% of all football players across the board in P5 conferences can actually make the grades to stay eligible

Doubt that. Given the quality of tutors they have access to and the demands of some majors. Now the desire to makes the grades maybe. At Auburn they make efforts to test and identify learning disabilities and provide counselors/psychological services that address those needs across all sports. More efforts are put into the academic side since those days.

That is why they have been always called mythical national championships because most games should be vacated because of ineligible players on most every team

Never heard that before. Believe it refers to the fact that the NCAA did not have a recognized tournament/structure that it does in many sports. Thus the championships were decided by committees most often involving media and coaches polls. Technically they were given or named vs won on the field.

https://theweek.com/articles/598661/bizarre-confusing-ways-college-football-picked-champion

2016_01_07-ChampionshipOrganizations-KK-new.r4131999166.png

On 2/2/2020 at 8:25 PM, Texan4Auburn said:

Yet earlier you stated it as a fact.

Doubt that. Given the quality of tutors they have access to and the demands of some majors. Now the desire to makes the grades maybe. At Auburn they make efforts to test and identify learning disabilities and provide counselors/psychological services that address those needs across all sports. More efforts are put into the academic side since those days.

Never heard that before. Believe it refers to the fact that the NCAA did not have a recognized tournament/structure that it does in many sports. Thus the championships were decided by committees most often involving media and coaches polls. Technically they were given or named vs won on the field.

https://theweek.com/articles/598661/bizarre-confusing-ways-college-football-picked-champion

2016_01_07-ChampionshipOrganizations-KK-new.r4131999166.png

Tutors? Do regular scholarship students get tutors? 

On 2/5/2020 at 6:38 PM, E'Town4Bama said:

Tutors? Do regular scholarship students get tutors? 

Yup. Auburn has a free tutoring system(well paid for through tuition) that is available to all students along with a writing center for papers.

8 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Yup. Auburn has a free tutoring system(well paid for through tuition) that is available to all students along with a writing center for papers.

I just assumed that if you get an academic scholarship, you must be pretty smart so I don't know why you would need a tutor. I guess stranger things happen.  

Archived