2011 vs. Clemson - Tale of 2 Programs

AUght2win

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Chiz deserves credit for the natty for sure. I love him as a man, and I know he truly loves Auburn.

But I do have to say, I always thought he lacked awareness. He came off as a goofy cornball. I was on campus at the time. I even tried out to walk on. So I kept a close eye on the Chiz. The corny slogans. The terrible, matching outfits and hummer limos on the recruiting trail. 

I just remember thinking "there's no way his players can take him seriously".

And yet that is what dabo has done and he has just perfected it. I look at dabo and I see so much of chiz in him and in that whole program with how they push the faith and family mantra. They obviously do it a lot better than us.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Doing it in conjunction with a 1300 yard rusher is pretty impressive. McCallebb added 500 on the ground. Fannin and T-Zach had about 700 all purpose yards a piece, too. Malzahn utilized everyone that year and it was fun to watch. 

With more than what, three LBs on scholarship, that team wins 10 games.

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Chiz deserves credit for the natty for sure. I love him as a man, and I know he truly loves Auburn.

But I do have to say, I always thought he lacked awareness. He came off as a goofy cornball. I was on campus at the time. I even tried out to walk on. So I kept a close eye on the Chiz. The corny slogans. The terrible, matching outfits and hummer limos on the recruiting trail. 

I just remember thinking "there's no way his players can take him seriously".

Florida trash.

image.jpeg

8 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Before or after the NC? That's news to me (well, rumor, but you know what I mean).

Man, I wish I could remember.  It's been 10 years.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

And yet that is what dabo has done and he has just perfected it. I look at dabo and I see so much of chiz in him and in that whole program with how they push the faith and family mantra. They obviously do it a lot better than us.

Difference is I think Dabo genuinely isn't a cornball. At least it seems that way to me. He is sincere and a man of faith, which Chiz was too and should be commended for. But just look at that pic @dyehardfanAU just posted. A man who wears that has no awareness of the human world. 

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Difference is I think Dabo genuinely isn't a cornball. At least it seems that way to me. He is sincere and a man of faith, which Chiz was too and should be commended for. But just look at that pic @dyehardfanAU just posted. A man who wears that has no awareness of the human world. 

Chiz, dabo and hugh freeze all seem the same to me. They use their interviews to push the faith and family mantra to project a image. Who knows if that is who they actually are. I mean look what happened to ol Hugh lol. 1 has just been a much more successful head coach than the other 2.

40 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Chiz, dabo and hugh freeze all seem the same to me. They use their interviews to push the faith and family mantra to project a image. Who knows if that is who they actually are. I mean look what happened to ol Hugh lol. 1 has just been a much more successful head coach than the other 2.

"It's a God thing" rustled me to no end.  I'm not a believer but I have to believe if there is a God he/she/it/they doesn't care who wins a football game.  Sounds a bit narcissistic to me.

1 hour ago, passthebiscuits said:

That team had so many internal issues starting in 2011. (Dyer, Reed etc) Can’t take Chiz’ natty away from him, but he almost won it despite himself. But to the OP’s point, look at the direction of the two programs since that point. Now, if we played in the ACC, we probably aren’t losing 4 games a year either, so...

good post tho. Interesting to look back. 

Now, if we played in the ACC, we probably aren’t losing 4 games a year either, so...

I'm not entirely sure. Good thing we don't play in the Big 10😏

46 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

"It's a God thing" rustled me to no end.  I'm not a believer but I have to believe if there is a God he/she/it/they doesn't care who wins a football game.  Sounds a bit narcissistic to me.

I'm a devout Christian and I do think people need to be careful not to make it sound like their success in a game is because God loves them more than their opponent. Hey, I don't know everything, but my interpretation of the Bible (and just experience in life) doesn't lead me to believe the victory always goes to the most righteous. I also don't think that's what Chizik meant.

I think the intention is to give glory and thanks for the opportunity and the ability to experience those special moments. 

On 1/16/2020 at 4:25 PM, AUght2win said:

My memory of this game was that Clemson shellacked us from the opening gun.

We lost 37 players from the 2010 National Championship team. No one can survive that kind of attrition and have a successful following season. 

On 1/17/2020 at 7:19 PM, AUght2win said:

I'm a devout Christian and I do think people need to be careful not to make it sound like their success in a game is because God loves them more than their opponent. Hey, I don't know everything, but my interpretation of the Bible (and just experience in life) doesn't lead me to believe the victory always goes to the most righteous. I also don't think that's what Chizik meant.

I think the intention is to give glory and thanks for the opportunity and the ability to experience those special moments. 

Never bothered me with Chizik. The way Dabo frames it does bother me quite a bit. But there's no way my objectivity can be trusted. 

On 1/17/2020 at 8:23 AM, McLoofus said:

Agreed. The 1983 and 2004 teams, if not others, were better than the 2010 team. Maybe a *lot* better.

2004 would be a great game. 1983 would lose because 2010 was #9 against the run. 2010 would have put Demond Washington on Chris Woods who caught 15 passes for the season and moved Mike McNeil and Zac Etheridge up near the box to help stop Bo and James. 

On 1/17/2020 at 5:39 PM, dyehardfanAU said:

Florida trash.

image.jpeg

C'mon man!  That shirt must have cost ones of dollars!

2 hours ago, Viper said:

2004 would be a great game. 1983 would lose because 2010 was #9 against the run. 2010 would have put Demond Washington on Chris Woods who caught 15 passes for the season and moved Mike McNeil and Zac Etheridge up near the box to help stop Bo and James. 

I'd be curious to go back and look at our schedule in 2010 and see how many legit rushing offenses we played. The only ones I can think of are bama, LSU and *maybe* uga. (Really just assuming on the last two.)

Regardless, the point (of that particular sidebar) is that Chizik won a national title and Dye didn't, but I don't think anyone in their right mind would try to claim that Chizik was the better coach. In fact, I imagine most would agree that he was the worst Auburn coach since Barfield. Yet, despite 1983, 1993, 2004 and 2013, he's the only one to have won it all. Right place right time does not equal good coach.

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'd be curious to go back and look at our schedule in 2010 and see how many legit rushing offenses we played. The only ones I can think of are bama, LSU and *maybe* uga. (Really just assuming on the last two.)

Oregon was #4 with 286 YPG.

MSU was #16 with 215 YPG.

Ole Miss was #18 with 208 YPG.

LSU was #28 with 186 YPG.

bammer was #29 with 183 YPG.

1983 Auburn averaged 294 YPG. They ran it 54.5 times/game. 5.4 YPC. 2.5 rushing TDs/game.

2010 Oregon ran it 48.3 times/game. 5.92 YPC. 3.28 rushing TDs/game.

2010 Auburn held 2010 Oregon to 75 yards rushing. 2.3 YPC. 0 rushing TDs.

11 minutes ago, Viper said:

Oregon was #4 with 286 YPG.

MSU was #16 with 215 YPG.

Ole Miss was #18 with 208 YPG.

LSU was #28 with 186 YPG.

bammer was #29 with 183 YPG.

1983 Auburn averaged 294 YPG. They ran it 54.5 times/game. 5.4 YPC. 2.5 rushing TDs/game.

2010 Oregon ran it 48.3 times/game. 5.92 YPC. 3.28 rushing TDs/game.

2010 Auburn held 2010 Oregon to 75 yards rushing. 2.3 YPC. 0 rushing TDs.

Cool. Now compare Oregon's 2010 schedule to Auburn's in 1983...

Also- and I should have included this in my prior response- I'm surprised you're looking at this as an actual matchup of teams from very different eras. Typically these conversations assume that you are comparing teams separated by 27 years to their contemporaries, not to each other. Do you think Walter Payton would have put up the same numbers in 2019? Deacon Jones? Babe Ruth? 

That 1983 team went 4-1 against top 10 teams and 6-1 against the top 25. That 2010 team only had 3 top 10 matchups and 6 top 25, while playing 2 more games. Imagine if we had replaced any one of unranked Mississippi State, Clemson or Kentucky- all of whom we beat by 7 points or less and against whom the outcome was still very much in doubt in the 4th quarter- with 3rd-ranked Texas, 5th-ranked Florida or 7th-ranked Maryland?  

The 2010 team likely would've lost a couple games against a schedule equivalent to that of the 1983 team. That is why the 1983 team was better.  

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

The 2010 team likely would've lost a couple games against a schedule equivalent to that of the 1983 team. That is why the e 1983 team was better.  

I disagree.  Once the 2010 Offense hit it’s stride, they were hard to stop.   Although the 1983 team had a strong running game, it could be stopped.  Don’t think the 1983 team could out score the 2010 team 

Offensive styles have changed over the years....rule changes have been enacted to benefit the offense....go back and watch the 1983 games, play was slower (huddled up after each play); today there are over 150 plays, back in 1983, teams combined for a little over 100....(also the wide receivers were still lining up in a 3-point stance)....taking nothing away from the 1983 team or that era, but I believe the 1983 would have had a hard time keeping up with Cam and the boys....

7 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Cool. Now compare Oregon's 2010 schedule to Auburn's in 1983...

A PAC 10/12 schedule has never & will never compare to the SEC.

Point is...2010 Oregon’s #4 ranked rushing offense was squashed by nearly FOUR times (286 to 75) by the 2010 Auburn D. That is impressive no matter the opponent. The 2010 Auburn D would do the same, if not more, to 1983 Auburn because they could sell out on the run every single play.

2010 Oregon had to resort to passing to make it a game because they could only muster 2.3 YPC.

Love Randy Campbell, but he & Chris Woods’ 15 catches for the entire season ain’t beating anyone through the air. Demond Washington would have shut him down by himself on his worst day.

And how do you stand in the pocket hoping for Chris Woods to get open AND block Fairley? Just like every other OL in 2010 found out...you don’t. 

That’s just the 2010 D vs. the 1983 O. We haven’t even gotten to Cam vs. the 1983 D.

2010 Auburn would beat 1983 Auburn by at least 5 TDs. 

8 hours ago, McLoofus said:

That 1983 team went 4-1 against top 10 teams and 6-1 against the top 25. That 2010 team only had 3 top 10 matchups and 6 top 25, while playing 2 more games. Imagine if we had replaced any one of unranked Mississippi State, Clemson or Kentucky- all of whom we beat by 7 points or less and against whom the outcome was still very much in doubt in the 4th quarter- with 3rd-ranked Texas, 5th-ranked Florida or 7th-ranked Maryland?  

The 2010 team likely would've lost a couple games against a schedule equivalent to that of the 1983 team. That is why the 1983 team was better.  

2010 beat an 8-0 team, the then-#1 ranked rushing D, and put up 440 yards rushing on them.

2010 played AT the defending national champions with the returning Heisman winner, a future NFL hall of fame WR and the #3 scoring defense with a 20-game home winning streak and won. Held that Heisman winner to 36 yards rushing. 

2010 played the schedule they were dealt and beat them all. 1983 didn’t. 

8 minutes ago, Viper said:

2010 beat an 8-0 team, the then-#1 ranked rushing D, and put up 440 yards rushing on them.

2010 played AT the defending national champions with the returning Heisman winner, a future NFL hall of fame WR and the #3 scoring defense with a 20-game home winning streak and won. Held that Heisman winner to 36 yards rushing. 

2010 played the schedule they were dealt and beat them all. 1983 didn’t. 

You mean the miracle win over the bama team that finished ranked 16th? K.

31 minutes ago, Viper said:

A PAC 10/12 schedule has never & will never compare to the SEC.

Point is...2010 Oregon’s #4 ranked rushing offense was squashed by nearly FOUR times (286 to 75) by the 2010 Auburn D. That is impressive no matter the opponent. The 2010 Auburn D would do the same, if not more, to 1983 Auburn because they could sell out on the run every single play.

2010 Oregon had to resort to passing to make it a game because they could only muster 2.3 YPC.

Love Randy Campbell, but he & Chris Woods’ 15 catches for the entire season ain’t beating anyone through the air. Demond Washington would have shut him down by himself on his worst day.

And how do you stand in the pocket hoping for Chris Woods to get open AND block Fairley? Just like every other OL in 2010 found out...you don’t. 

That’s just the 2010 D vs. the 1983 O. We haven’t even gotten to Cam vs. the 1983 D.

2010 Auburn would beat 1983 Auburn by at least 5 TDs. 

Ah. You're not here for an actual conversation. Gotcha.

21 hours ago, McLoofus said:

You mean the miracle win over the bama team that finished ranked 16th? K.

Didn’t bammer play in the SEC that season? Wasn’t the game on the road in the venue of a 20-game winning streak? It was a win for Auburn right?

What vaunted conference did 1983 Texas play in? Wasn’t the game IN Auburn? Didn’t Texas win by 13 and hold Auburn to 7?

On 1/20/2020 at 8:30 PM, McLoofus said:

Ah. You're not here for an actual conversation. Gotcha.

On 1/17/2020 at 7:23 AM, McLoofus said:

The 1983 and 2004 teams, if not others, were better than the 2010 team. Maybe a *lot* better.

arniepredator.jpg

Archived