Women's Sports

tigerman1186

What's going on with our women's sports teams this year???? VB was terrible....BB not much better....SB projected to be 11th in the conference....SOC didn't have the season they've had in the past....hasn't been this poor in a long time...

1 hour ago, tigerman1186 said:

What's going on with our women's sports teams this year???? VB was terrible....BB not much better....SB projected to be 11th in the conference....SOC didn't have the season they've had in the past....hasn't been this poor in a long time...

Well, the Equestrian team is projected to win its 7th national championship this Spring. The season is divided and AU went undefeated in the fall series. Last year's national championship team was the first Equestrian team in the  history of the college sport to go undefeated through the entire year.

I recommend going to a meet and checking it out. Nice facility on Wire Road, pretty girls and great horses. What's not to like?

Don't overlook a very respectable gymnastics team.  I would say softball team is in transition with a lot of new players this year and some good pitching help in the next recruiting class.  New VB coach so wait and see on that sport.  We know about the recent poor showing in the BB program as a number of comments on that topic.

9 hours ago, tigerman1186 said:

You left out tennis, golf and swimming

9 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

You left out tennis, golf and swimming

Golf is in good shape maybe a little down this coming season but we made it to the semifinals last year ended up 4th in the country

Gymnastics has probably the most thrilling gymnast AU has ever had and recently took down uat for only like the third time ever. 

On 1/17/2020 at 7:24 AM, slot canyon said:

Don't overlook a very respectable gymnastics team.  I would say softball team is in transition with a lot of new players this year and some good pitching help in the next recruiting class.  New VB coach so wait and see on that sport.  We know about the recent poor showing in the BB program as a number of comments on that topic.

Counting on softball to be better than the experts are predicting.......though we start the season with almost no "household" names on the team as in past years.  

Some of the new young players will have to take a big step forward but seems that CMD has the kind of staff needed to help them develop quickly.  Look forward to getting  more up to date on the future stars in that sport. 

• WarTiger changed the title to Women's Sports
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/17/2020 at 1:23 AM, Mikey said:

Well, the Equestrian team is projected to win its 7th national championship this Spring. The season is divided and AU went undefeated in the fall series. Last year's national championship team was the first Equestrian team in the  history of the college sport to go undefeated through the entire year.

I recommend going to a meet and checking it out. Nice facility on Wire Road, pretty girls and great horses. What's not to like?

Have any of the AU National Championship equestrian teams been invited to the White House after winning a championship?  Just wondering if anyone knows.

3 hours ago, TuscaloosaTiger said:

Have any of the AU National Championship equestrian teams been invited to the White House after winning a championship?  Just wondering if anyone knows.

They have not. I think it must be a major sport  to get such an invite.

Thanks for the response.  You'd think a six-time NCAA championship team might get an invite.  Maybe our senators need to request an invitation. Based on President Trump's mention that Penn State men wrestling national champions received an invite to the White House, I was wondering whether any women NCAA champions in any sport received invitations to visit.  Not sure how far down the pecking order men's wrestling is, but I've got to believe it's relatively far down the line in terms of men's sports based on the number of teams across the nation participating.  Do any SEC schools still have wrestling teams?

21 hours ago, TuscaloosaTiger said:

Thanks for the response.  You'd think a six-time NCAA championship team might get an invite.  Maybe our senators need to request an invitation. Based on President Trump's mention that Penn State men wrestling national champions received an invite to the White House, I was wondering whether any women NCAA champions in any sport received invitations to visit.  Not sure how far down the pecking order men's wrestling is, but I've got to believe it's relatively far down the line in terms of men's sports based on the number of teams across the nation participating.  Do any SEC schools still have wrestling teams?

No. I think Auburn dropped it around the early 1980's and UT was the last school the finally drop it.

ALthough we were one of the best w/ Umbach back then, the reason I thought it was dropped was Title IX, but Umbach said it had to do with the Southeastern high schools that did not have it so the south schools could not recruit from their areas so they had to go all over the country to bring in their recruits.

The football coaches also controlled the money back then, and FLorida(Pell), Auburn(Dye) and Alabama all dropped their programs so they could use that money more towards football.  

4 hours ago, steeleagle said:

No. I think Auburn dropped it around the early 1980's and UT was the last school the finally drop it.

ALthough we were one of the best w/ Umbach back then, the reason I thought it was dropped was Title IX, but Umbach said it had to do with the Southeastern high schools that did not have it so the south schools could not recruit from their areas so they had to go all over the country to bring in their recruits.

The football coaches also controlled the money back then, and FLorida(Pell), Auburn(Dye) and Alabama all dropped their programs so they could use that money more towards football.  

Thanks for the response.  I think we had a pretty good wrestling team in the 60"s and still had a team when I was at AU in the early to mid 70's.  It's a tough sport.  Too bad we dropped it.  Someone in the know should inform if any women's championship teams have been invited to the White House.  I seem to recall that Obama may have invited the Rutgers basketball champions to the White House.  Did the South Carolina women team go?  Have we had a SEC women's champ since  then in a "major" sport?

• 11 months later...

Women’s track won a NC 10-15 years ago.

1 hour ago, PUB78 said:

Women’s track won a NC 10-15 years ago.

Yes they did. I do believe that is the least publicized and appreciated NCAA natty in AU history.

Archived