AU vs FLORIDA Pre-Game Thread w/ CBP Preview

toddc

Not sure who normally starts these but I’m so amped up I couldn’t resist. Also, I have Upward Christian B-ball games and won’t be able to watch, so y’all give your tv 📺 an extra yell for me! War Eagle 🦅 

A little Bruce Pearl preview for your perusal!!!!

Bruce Pearl previews game at Florida

ByJASON CALDWELL 21 hours ago 

Share5 Comments

AUBURN, Alabama—Coming off the first loss of the season at Alabama, the No. 4 Auburn basketball Tigers (15-1, 3-1) go back on the road Saturday to face a talented Florida squad that is 11-5 overall and 3-1 in SEC play.

Much like Tuscaloosa, Gainesville has been a house of horrors for the Tigers over the years. It has been since 1996 (12 games) that Auburn last won at Florida. Winning twice against Florida a year ago, Auburn will be looking to win three straight from the Gators for the first time since 1995-97.

“Prior to beating Florida (twice) last year, we had lost 21 out of 22,” Auburn’s Bruce Pearl said of the matchup with the Gators. “We’ve lost 12 straight down in Gainesville. Haven’t beaten them since 1996 down there.  Florida, they’re a NET team in the mid-40’s right now. They were a preseason top 10. They’ve got really good, real good personnel. They’ve got several McDonald’s All-Americans and great depth. They played a really tough non-conference schedule and had some tough losses, but right now they’re playing well. 

“They’re a tough prep in the sense that they do a lot of things, and so, for us, we’ve got a short week this week. Florida played at home Tuesday. We played the late game on Wednesday at Alabama, didn’t get back until 2:30 in the morning. It’ll be a quick turnaround and we head out this afternoon. We have enough time to get prepared, but they obviously have had some extra time.”

Florida is led by Virginia Tech transfer big man Kerry Blackshear. At 6-10, 241, pounds he’s a physical presence inside and comes into Saturday’s 12:30 CST tipoff averaging 15 points and 8.4 rebounds per game. On the perimeter Andrew Nembhard is a big point guard that averages 11.1 points and 5.9 assists per game.

“Blackshear is a guy that demands a lot of attention,” Pearl said. “He takes and makes more free throws than anybody else in the conference. He’s an 84 percent free throw shooter so you have to guard him without fouling him. 

“Nembhard is one of the biggest, most physical, point guards in our league. He gets you on his hip and he’s a physical presence. Jared (Harper) did well on him last year and that was a key to our being able to beat them. I’m sure he’s going to try to put J’Von in his back pocket and keep him there.”  Auburn may not have to face the point guard on Saturday because Nembhard was diagnosed with the flu this week.

The Gators are looking to snap a six-game home losing streak vs. AP top-5 opponents (0-1 under Coach Mike White), with UF’s last home top-5 win coming against #3 Ohio State on Dec. 23, 2006. Florida’s last home win against a top-5 SEC opponent came on March 6, 2005, vs. #4 Kentucky.

Saturday's game can be seen nationally on CBS. 

This game is important as far as perception. We are actually working through some things and I see many was upset at last game. I can't say I knew it would happen like that but I have said these things will happen and we will adapt. Right now we're trying to find ways to create good shots for ourselves.

What we can't do is continue this drop in defense at the same time. I expect to see a much better effort this game

Archived