Men vs Florida Game Thread

Maverick.AU

2 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I was trying to verbalize this a couple weeks ago and couldn't quite find the words, but I don't think Jvon is good enough at finishing to drive (with the intent to lay it up) as much as he does. I think he has a solid stop and pop mid range, and his floater is definitely above avg. And while he can hit an open catch and shoot 3, as the PG you don't get many of those in this system. But with the lack of spacing in our offense, his one superb trait, beating his guy off the dribble before he can even wall off the lane, is completely negated 

He not good at finishing inside when driving at all, yet that's what he's been trying to do the most. Instead of trying to finish, he needs to look for an extra pass. All he needs to do is draw defenders and make the pass...either to Wiley/Anfernee inside or to another guard. Florida has made that look so easy today.

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, tgrogan21 said:

I really hope Pearl looks at this lineup and does something. I get that Doughty and J'von are seniors but at this point they are a liability and it would be nice to get our young guards more playing time to get them prepared for next year.

i want bruce to bring the pain and light a fire under these guys behinds. i can handle a loss but blowout the last two game should be more than enough reason to show his displeasure.

Why did Auburn sacrifice two recruiting classes for Wiley and Purifoy?  Not trying to be ugly but why?  This is like almost getting a NCAA violation for recruiting Jeremy Johnson.

We scored 3 point in the last 6 minutes. The time where SOMEONE needed to step up and stop the bleeding and no one did. I would much rather see the freshman come in and play because the seniors aren't doing it. 2 games in a row where we didn't have a lead at all.

Just now, AURandy56 said:

What happened to the team that routed Georgia?

After blow out losses in back to back games...it shows we are a pretender.

We scored 3 point in the last 6 minutes. The time where SOMEONE needed to step up and stop the bleeding and no one did. I would much rather see the freshman come in and play because the seniors aren't doing it. 2 games in a row where we didn't have a lead at all.

No senior leadership and that hurts us, amongst our other struggles.

1 minute ago, Win4AU said:

Why did Auburn sacrifice two recruiting classes for Wiley and Purifoy?  Not trying to be ugly but why?  This is like almost getting a NCAA violation for recruiting Jeremy Johnson.

Purifoy and Wiley were the top 2 leading scorers in this game. They aren't the problem. Our guards are.

We are not good at shooting 3’s why do we jack 20 a game?  Too much standing around and with 5 seconds left, BP needs to be asked why he is sticking with these players?  What’s the point of recruiting turbo and jaylin if they never see the court?

2 minutes ago, AUDynasty said:

I honestly don’t think this game is indicative what we are as a team. We may need to adjust our pace as we could not buy a bucket when we need one. Going with a slower tempo would be beneficial as our defense isn’t that bad.

Based not only on the last two games but this season as a whole, I’d say we need a tick more than just adjustment of pace. 

1 minute ago, ScubaSteve said:

We are not good at shooting 3’s why do we jack 20 a game?  Too much standing around and with 5 seconds left, BP needs to be asked why he is sticking with these players?  What’s the point of recruiting turbo and jaylin if they never see the court?

that might be changing shortly.

Purifoy and Wiley were the top 2 leading scorers in this game. They aren't the problem. Our guards are.

I’m speaking more to putting ourselves on a self imposed recruiting hiatus for whatever transpired with them.  Auburn needs someone other than a true freshman to lean on when the seniors aren’t doing the job.

1 minute ago, jared52 said:

Time for Brice to earn that check. 

We'll be fine, we just need to figure out how to make our players more effective. The talent is there, but it is not being utilized correctly at the moment against SEC play. We needed to be humbled a bit, and that has certainly happened the last two games. J'von will learn that he needs to not try and do so much scoring inside, Samir needs to simplify his game as well. I expect to see more plays with Austin and Okoro.

3 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

No senior leadership and that hurts us, amongst our other struggles.

The best player on our team disappeared again in the second half. Don't think he had a point in the second half ...

It is tough to win on the road. It is really tough when you can’t score. We shot 25%. The offensive flow is bad. Too much 1 v 5. Again the seniors are really struggling. 
Two games in a row that we never had a lead and were blown out. Gut check time. 

My few suggestions:

1. Stay with DP on the bench. He looked better there. The only other adjustment you can make there is either benching Wiley and trying to maximize the spacing by moving mac to the 5, but then you'd bench your most consistent and impressive player for a hope. That rarely goes well.

2. Give Jaylin Williams most of DC's minutes. DC had a good start granted, but he kills the spacing with his kiddy league shot form and he can't finish unless it's a dunk.  He also gives you at least one dumb foul/turnover a game. At least try Jaylin

3. try super sizing the lineups at times and move Okoro up to the 2 guard? I feel like when you have these droughts where one of Jvon/Doughty isnt hitting, you need to start getting creative to remedy that

Keep in perspective. Mizzou last Saturday beat Florida at home by 16. Then Mizzou turned around and lost by 30 at home to miss St. Such is life in college basketball.

Archived