Men vs Florida Game Thread

Maverick.AU

There's no dominate team in CBB this year. Literally anyone can win the tourney this year. We have to get our shooting turned around though. 

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Missouri hit 31 of 31 foul shots....how does a team do that...?

42 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I'd rather had Harper to return over Heron possibly still being here. Heron is a solid player but if this team had a good PG we'd be just fine. 

That would obviously be the preference, but I think the statement was made with the fact that Harper is in the pros but Heron is still playing college ball and could still be on the team.

12 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Missouri hit 31 of 31 foul shots....how does a team do that...?

A better question is how they can do that and still lose or about to lose? SMH.

1 minute ago, aucanucktiger said:

I blame Malzahn.

We know that's not true; you'd blame the score keeper first. You're fine with participation trophies

8 minutes ago, E'Town4Bama said:

Simple. You don't miss.

If it's that "simple"....why can't  we.... "don't miss"?    :dunno:

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

If it's that "simple"....why can't  we.... "don't miss"?    :dunno:

We can't seem to hit shots from 2 feet away, the FT line is 15 feet away. We have no guards and our inside scoring threat is a brick layer. But I am satisfied because I hoped for 21-22 wins, make the tourney, and that would be a successful season with this group 

2 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

We can't seem to hit shots from 2 feet away, the FT line is 15 feet away. We have no guards and our inside scoring threat is a brick layer. But I am satisfied because I hoped for 21-22 wins, make the tourney, and that would be a successful season with this group 

yeah. I straight up don't feel like this team is very talented. Help is on the way though. just need to secure 2 more important pieces for next year and it could be special.

2 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

... Do we even have 4 good shooters on this team?

No, not this season we don't at this point.  Help is coming next year.  If this team make the Sweet 16 it'll be a huge accomplishment.

8 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

No, not this season we don't at this point.  Help is coming next year.  If this team make the Sweet 16 it'll be a huge accomplishment.

At this point with how we have played away from home lately I will take just 1 win in the tourney to call this season a success.

Davion Mitchell transferred from AU to Baylor because he did not want to sit 2 more years behind Harper.  If he just freaking stayed it would be his team now. I know he had no way of knowing Jared would leave but dang it hurts seeing him be the starting PG of the best team in the country.  

32 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Davion Mitchell transferred from AU to Baylor because he did not want to sit 2 more years behind Harper.  If he just freaking stayed it would be his team now. I know he had no way of knowing Jared would leave but dang it hurts seeing him be the starting PG of the best team in the country.  

Kinda misnomer with how many other guards they have starting but I was thinking about that earlier too. We woulda had two years of him, and someone to take the pressure off Sharife early. We got no guard of value to help our prodigy get acclimated 

The creampuff part of the season is over. Now comes the part where many of the teams we play are bigger, more athletic, better players and better coached. Bama and UF are just a preview. We can expect the same from Arkansas, LSU and Kentucky. Auburn just doesn't have the size and talent to man up with those teams. But also, Auburn just doesn't seem to have a mean streak, a killer instinct, a raging tenacity, a will to overcome and win.

As for next year, Wiley, Doughty, McLemore, McCormick, and Purifoy will all graduate. Okoro may very well go pro. Bruce will be left with a group of subs (Flanigan, Cambridge, Franklin, Williams, Stretch, etc.) who are not impressing anyone, and a bunch of true freshmen. It will be an even tougher rebuilding year for CBP, although he might have some raw talent to work with. Unless he pulls in some great transfers for next season, I don't see the next Auburn really good team until 2021/22.

Sorry if that seems too negative. I pull for my Tigers every game. I yell at the screen. My wife holes up in the bedroom watching movies and such. And I really, really hope the guys can find the winning formula this season. It would sure make my stress level subside!

BTW -- Oregon already beat Washington. Louisville leading Duke at the half.

2 hours ago, PigskinPat said:

That would obviously be the preference, but I think the statement was made with the fact that Harper is in the pros but Heron is still playing college ball and could still be on the team.

I understood it. Just saying since we're wishing...i'd rather have Harper than Heron. Like someone stated...if it wasn't for last years run..Harper would still be at AU. 

7 minutes ago, AURex said:

The creampuff part of the season is over. Now comes the part where many of the teams we play are bigger, more athletic, better players and better coached. Bama and UF are just a preview. We can expect the same from Arkansas, LSU and Kentucky. Auburn just doesn't have the size and talent to man up with those teams. But also, Auburn just doesn't seem to have a mean streak, a killer instinct, a raging tenacity, a will to overcome and win.

As for next year, Wiley, Doughty, McLemore, McCormick, and Purifoy will all graduate. Okoro may very well go pro. Bruce will be left with a group of subs (Flanigan, Cambridge, Franklin, Williams, Stretch, etc.) who are not impressing anyone, and a bunch of true freshmen. It will be an even tougher rebuilding year for CBP, although he might have some raw talent to work with. Unless he pulls in some great transfers for next season, I don't see the next Auburn really good team until 2021/22.

Sorry if that seems too negative. I pull for my Tigers every game. I yell at the screen. My wife holes up in the bedroom watching movies and such. And I really, really hope the guys can find the winning formula this season. It would sure make my stress level subside!

We have enough size. We were constantly undersized last year. We just don't have the guards this year. Teams like Dayton and Oregon (Pritchard) have good guard play. I agree we're going to struggle against teams like LSU and Arkansas b/c both have good guard play that i think are better than ours at this point. 

We are  a streaky shooting team, have been all year.  Lots of loose balls going the other way that we have taken advantage of this year.  It’s basketball, it happens.

12 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Which leads to a VERY entertaining NCAA tourney. I go to Vegas every year for the start of the tourney. It's crazy and fun!

1 hour ago, AURex said:

I think we’ve got a chance to be better next year actually. I know this senior class has the most wins in AU history, but they were all role players on teams that won a lot of games. It’s on them now and it’s pretty obvious that the guys that made it all go left last year. Good guys and have contributed to lots of success, but I think Bruce will do better with the incoming guys. I’m also still pretty high on most of our current freshmen. It’s not their team nor their time yet. It’s coming. 

1 hour ago, AURex said:

Bruce will be left with a group of subs (Flanigan, Cambridge, Franklin, Williams, Stretch, etc.) who are not impressing anyone, and a bunch of true freshmen. 

Jamal Johnson has impressed me, and is the only player that I feel confident in his scoring every time he shoots.

Flanigan is progressing, as well.

I’m not as negative. Bruce has done much more with less talent. The bunch of true freshmen and subs that aren’t impressive are at the start of their career and have a higher floor (as a unit), and consequently higher ceiling. 

Here is the problem. The reason why we are struggling mightily the last 2 games at the room. Like absolutely awful is bama and florida have walled off the rim with multiple trees down there. They are not respecting our shooters and for good reason. There is hardly any clean looks at the rim. Even when Okoro or whoever blows by their man they still have a couple other guys waiting for them. Wiley is a blessing and a curse. He is a beast on the boards but when he is on the floor it just draws another defender in the paint. But with how Mac is shooting lately him being at center is not a big advantage either. They are not going to respect his shot until he makes them in SEC Play.

I like the optimism here for our BB program but find it ironic it doesn't extend to FB. If we had lost back to back FB games in blowouts to bama and Florida this board would explode.

Archived