Men vs Florida Game Thread

Maverick.AU

1 minute ago, Proud Tiger said:

I like the optimism here for our BB program but find it ironic it doesn't extend to FB. If we had lost back to back FB games in blowouts to bama and Florida this board would explode.

Gus.............

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

I like the optimism here for our BB program but find it ironic it doesn't extend to FB. If we had lost back to back FB games in blowouts to bama and Florida this board would explode.

Totally different sports. Much less games in football so every game importance is heightened.

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Totally different sports. Much less games in football so every game importance is heightened.

True but I was just trying to draw the difference in optimism vs. pessimism of the future by some posters here.

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Not even close to the same and 64 teams make the playoffs in basketball. 

14 hours ago, gr82be said:

Not even close to the same and 66 teams make the playoffs in basketball. 

So what does that have to do with our "happiness" of our FB vs. BB future.? Would you be just as happy for us to be just among the 66 in BB as compared to top 25 in FB following blowouts to bama and Florida?

3 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

True but I was just trying to draw the difference in optimism vs. pessimism.

I think the trend has been upward for Pearl every year. The trend has been up, down, down, down, up repeat for Gus. That's another reason. That said the back to back blowouts are concerning because we can't shoot our way out of a wet paper bag right now. 

7 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I think the trend has been upward for Pearl every year. The trend has been up, down, down, down, up repeat for Gus. That's another reason. That said the back to back blowouts are concerning because we can't shoot our way out of a wet paper bag right now. 

The trend for Pearl is not up this year so far unless you just look at at Ws vs. Ls considering the quality of oponents among the Ws and Ls. Look at how we have struggled in some of our Ws.

Just now, Proud Tiger said:

So what does that have to do with our "happiness" ob our FB vs. BB future.? would you be content for us to be just among the 66 in BB as compared to top 25 in FB following blowouts to bama and Florida?

Basically if you make the field you have a chance to win it all. Top 4 is it in football, 5-25 are consolation prizes.  I'm much "happier" having a chance than not having one but maybe that's just me and not you. Pearl has been more consistent in that to date. 

3 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Basically if you make the field you have a chance to win it all. Top 4 is it in football, 5-25 are consolation prizes.  I'm much "happier" having a chance than not having one but maybe that's just me and not you. Pearl has been more consistent in that to date. 

We are not in disagreement.I just found the optimism vs. pessimism interesting. I for sure am not down on Pearl,

12 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

We are not in disagreement.I just found the optimism vs. pessimism interesting. I for sure am not down on Pearl,

I think part of it has to do with history. Gus has made a lot of us pessimistic due to his stubborn tendencies. Pearl is the opposite and has made us optimistic due to his tendencies for teams to improve.

another factor is the composition of basketball season. It’s long and has enough games where you can have a mid season slump and it be a good thing. In football, a mid season slump wrecks the season.

37 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Pearl..........😀

Agreed!

Pearl is building a brand and the program up. Gus is head coach at a major college program, and continues to try to figure out his offense!

31 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

If we were coming off 2 previous football seasons in which we won division and/or league titles and in which the prior season we had made the college football playoffs, almost winning and giving us the ride of our lives, that optimism would be absolutely be there. Also factor in a coach that is refreshingly honest, well liked, and a proven rock star and there ya go. Bruce has earned the right for the board not to explode. 

The difference in Outlook on football and basketball is the history of both programs. Football is a really good top 15 program all time. Basketball? Historically maybe the worst program in sec history before Pearl arrived.

6 hours ago, tigers23 said:

This is a case where loyalty cost Bruce. Instead of going out and getting a PG, he said JM had earned it with his play. Paying for it big time now.

I think that had more to do with Shrife Cooper, he focus so hard on him an didn’t want to cover him up with another pg also he couldn’t of known Isaac would be a 1 an done 

4 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

We have enough size. We were constantly undersized last year. We just don't have the guards this year. Teams like Dayton and Oregon (Pritchard) have good guard play. I agree we're going to struggle against teams like LSU and Arkansas b/c both have good guard play that i think are better than ours at this point. 

Yeah Arkansas is the epitome of a finesse team for the most part. They’re not gonna beat us bc athleticism. I don’t even think Alabama did, other than the fact their guards foot speed was just faster than ours 

1 hour ago, Proud Tiger said:

Please stop ruining this thread by discussing football.

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

At this point with how we have played away from home lately I will take just 1 win in the tourney to call this season a success.

That's a mighty low goal, one win in the tourney. I couldn't call that anything but disappointing. We're not going to shoot in the 20% range all season.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

That's a mighty low goal, one win in the tourney. I couldn't call that anything but disappointing. We're not going to shoot in the 20% range all season.

Say we manage to win enough road games the rest of the way to get a decent seed in the tourney. Our second game will be a relatively tough game no matter who it is. Hell look at our first game last season in the tourney. We easily could of lost that and that was with our best team ever. So yes with us not having great three point shooting winning one game in the tourney will feel like a success in what most thought would be a rebuilding year. 

Looking at our road games the rest of the way the only ones I feel even somewhat decent about us stealing is ole Miss, Mizzou and Tennessee. Some people will say well what about Georgia? They being a super young team are more than anyone are completely different at home. I think they get us.  

But I get it. I can see why people would think we can win at Georgia as well. Just super relieved we don't have to play at LSU this season.

Bruce = Championship game appearance,  followed by rebuilding year.

Gus = Championship game appearance, rebuilding year X 6          Nuff said.

39 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Bruce = Championship game appearance,  followed by rebuilding year.

Gus = Championship game appearance, rebuilding year X 6          Nuff said.

There's a football forum with plenty of threads that serve no purpose but to bash and whine about Gus. Please don't clutter the BB forum up with more of this tired old garbage.

5 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Looking at our road games the rest of the way the only ones I feel even somewhat decent about us stealing is ole Miss, Mizzou and Tennessee. Some people will say well what about Georgia? They being a super young team are more than anyone are completely different at home. I think they get us.  

But I get it. I can see why people would think we can win at Georgia as well. Just super relieved we don't have to play at LSU this season.

This is a senior laden team with players who were highly sought. Wiley and Purifoy were top level recruits. Doughty is a talented 5th year senior. #23 is as good a freshman as anyone has. McCormick could use someone to give him a breather at guard but that's not enough of a shortage to just be happy that the team makes the tournament. They should be capable of much more. I think they will do much more and will be very disappointed if we don't get to at least the sweet 16.

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

This is a senior laden team with players who were highly sought. Wiley and Purifoy were top level recruits. Doughty is a talented 5th year senior. #23 is as good a freshman as anyone has. McCormick could use someone to give him a breather at guard but that's not enough of a shortage to just be happy that the team makes the tournament. They should be capable of much more. I think they will do much more and will be very disappointed if we don't get to at least the sweet 16.

At this point in their careers why does it matter that Wiley and Purifoy were top level recruits?  They are seniors and have shown their ceilings, the games are not played on paper using recruiting rankings.  J'Von and Samir should be coming off the bench but we don't have that luxury this season thanks to Harper leaving early and a lost recruiting class due to the Chuck Person mess.

Archived