hopes for next couple of years?

homersapien

12 hours ago, homersapien said:

........or maybe the SF 49'ers style of offense. ;)

They're run centric too.

Yeah ...reminded me of the Tennessee game in 2013. Offense line is the Achilles heel for Auburn to get back to doing what it does best...at least under Gus...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Don't forget this. Everytime Gus hired a new OC, he tells the press that he's turning over the offense 100% the new OC. But what happens every time? Gus takes it over at point.  Do you really want this offense to get better and put Auburn back at the top? then fire Gus and bring in a top head coach who can also recruit like crazy. Otherwise, keep enjoying Gus's high school coaching who ave. 4 loses every year and losing more bowl games.

Why do you talk like we the fans have any power to fire Gus? If we did we would have done it several years ago. Give it a rest!

7 hours ago, bigbird said:

Receivers running and executing every route not just "their" routes

Development of better route running and the ability to create better separation.

Is this really ever going to happen under Burns tutelage? How many years has he been there and nothing changes..

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

My hopes are that...

Gus hands over the offense completely to Chad and assumes the role of CEO

Chad revolutionizes the offense from blocking schemes and passing game to player utilization and development.

Chad remains at Auburn and becomes Gus' Mickey Andrews or Bud Foster

Limited substitutions during drives

Utilize our backs in the same manner as LSU and Clemson do/did in the passing game

The emergence of a true passing threat from the TE/HB position.

Receivers running and executing every route not just "their" routes

Development of better route running and the ability to create better separation.

Our new OL coach develops/instills a sense of mean/nastiness that is good for a personal foul every once in a while for unnecessary roughness.

Bo to navigate and deliver from the pocket better

Better down field accuracy from Bo

Better play calling early to settle down any early game jitters

Limit inefficient, low-percentage deep passes on 3rd and short

Better commitment to staying ahead of schedule and getting 1st downs rather than trick plays for the hell of it to kill drives.

We develop an elite pass rusher

TWILL continues to develop and assume more responsibility

We play a little less man coverage

Develop and commitment to an intense, insatiable bad attitude of kicking the dog crap out of everyone lined up across from us at every position on every down.

Great list!  :bow:

(But think of the all the missed offensive drama we'll miss from the constant 3rd and longs! ;D)

My expectations for a championship of any kind have been lowered by the head coach's history of multiple 4 and 5 loss seasons. We are paying an insane amount of money for just an average head coach. My hope for Auburn football is that we can work our way through this disaster handed to us by Leath and Harbert with minimal damage and at some point in the near future hire a head coach who can bring Auburn back to the top. Heck, if Clemson can do it, why not Auburn?????????

3 hours ago, ChltteTiger said:

Is this really ever going to happen under Burns tutelage? How many years has he been there and nothing changes..

I mean he can only do what the offensive scheme dictates. 

1 hour ago, Sully to Beasley said:

My expectations for a championship of any kind have been lowered by the head coach's history of multiple 4 and 5 loss seasons. We are paying an insane amount of money for just an average head coach. My hope for Auburn football is that we can work our way through this disaster handed to us by Leath and Harbert with minimal damage and at some point in the near future hire a head coach who can bring Auburn back to the top. Heck, if Clemson can do it, why not Auburn?????????

Although not good as it could be...I don’t think it’s a disaster. See Miami, FSU post Jimbo, UT, and a few others for disaster. I mean Auburn has seen success, just not consistent success. Clemson was patient and also took a chance went off the grid for their hire. This board would burn Auburn down if Kodi the current WR coach was named to replace Gus, like Clemson did when Bowden was let go. 

19 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

The offense will NEVER change as long as Gus Malzahn is Auburn's head coach and the OC. I know, Chad Morris was hired as Auburn's OC/QB coach. However, Gus is the true OC of this ship and we all know it. Chip knows it, Rhett knows it, Dillingham know it Chad will realize it soon enough.

Should just pin this post...save server space.

10 hours ago, bigbird said:

My hopes are that...

Gus hands over the offense completely to Chad and assumes the role of CEO

What is your company of choice? 😎

18 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

To have fun again watching Auburn football. For AU finally to have a true pass first offense that is exciting to watch and wins a lot of games.

I my best Gus voice " We're a run first play action team. We will have a good week of practice....we just got to execute batter. We're going to win championships. Auburn has a bright future."

I'd like to see the QB back under center. 

I'd love the tight end to exist in our offense again. 

An offensive line that can run block.

A consistent pass rush off the corners. 

Catches in the middle of the field. 

An absolute absence of the wildcat from our playbook. 

22 hours ago, homersapien said:

What are your hopes for next couple of years?

For Chad to actually have some authority in the offense.

The OL to show improvement

Better OT recruiting

Better player retention

Better player development

A 1000 yard RB 

A 1000 yard WR (wishful thinking)

30 catches and 6 TDs per season for a TE

Definitive knowledge of who is running the offense

Outland Award

No more WtF moments (like being unable to count to 5)

And lastly but certainly not least... 10 wins per season. 

..for some luck for a change. Every title run requires well timed luck and we haven't had it since 2013. Brown doesnt trip on a blade of grass,nthis year LSU game officials aren't drunk, etc etc and this season's very different. If staff survive until 2021 (get ready for another mixed bag against nations best) IMHO 2021 will be our next run, with experience on these frosh & sophomores and...luck.

2 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

A 1000 yard WR (wishful thinking)

Not wishful thinking. Seth could have made that this year had he not missed basically two games - remember, he got hurt in the beginning of the Tulane game and then missed the next game vs Kent State, and still ended up with 830 yards.

No offense to anyone here who's said it...but why in the world do you want to see the QB back under center? What am I missing where that's going to solve any problems?

Everyone always moans about AU not developing QBs for the NFL, but even the NFL has got to the point where it's a 2:1 shotgun to under-center split on average.

Aside from that, how many of the best HS QBs in the country run an offense under center? Would make it harder to recruit, and you'd likely have to entirely retrain the QB anyway.

29 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

No offense to anyone here who's said it...but why in the world do you want to see the QB back under center? What am I missing where that's going to solve any problems?

Everyone always moans about AU not developing QBs for the NFL, but even the NFL has got to the point where it's a 2:1 shotgun to under-center split on average.

Aside from that, how many of the best HS QBs in the country run an offense under center? Would make it harder to recruit, and you'd likely have to entirely retrain the QB anyway.

With the quarterback under center it would help our offensive line in run blocking schemes by allowing for cross blocking along the offensive line which the shot gun formation does not allow for.

5 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

Although not good as it could be...I don’t think it’s a disaster. See Miami, FSU post Jimbo, UT, and a few others for disaster. I mean Auburn has seen success, just not consistent success. Clemson was patient and also took a chance went off the grid for their hire. This board would burn Auburn down if Kodi the current WR coach was named to replace Gus, like Clemson did when Bowden was let go. 

Clemson appointed Dabo as interim coach in 2008.  He went 5-1 during the regular season with his only loss being FSU.  So Clemson had a view of his capabilities before removing the interim.  Hiring Cody or any other assistants would be hiring the unknown and for better or worse stuck with that person or forking out money for a buyout.

Not gonna happen, but would like to see Gus's old offense again, with the personnel to run it efficiently.

A true read option, not some pre-determined crap, the off tackle (not sweeps) that we used to run and Dyer/Oline dominated at. Maybe another Cam is too much to ask, what about another N. Marshall? A legit offensive line, if you are gonna be a legit run first team the OLine needs to be a priority.

People say Gus never changes, and that's only partly true... there are chunks of very successful plays we never see anymore, likely because even Gus realizes he doesn't have the right style of players on offense.

Basically, in this fantasy scenario, I'd want Auburns offense to be the exciting as hell showcase O that we had in the Cam and Marshall years. I'll also take Takeo Spikes magically turning 20 again and suiting up.

Since we are hoping....I hope we hire a head coach that can run a team like a business....Recruit(hire) the best players available...Hire an OC and DC to run their teams and give them the freedom to do what they do. Gus is a good guy and appears to be running a clean program but his time has come and gone. Time for new blood.

6 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

Apples to oranges comparison. Clemson had not won a NC years prior nor does Kodi have the recruiting Acumen that Dabo had prior to be hired. I think people really need to do their history and read up on Dabo. Granted he did not have any HC experience but he was known as a great recruiter and the Clemson faithful were more than willing to take a chance on him as a temporary place holder as HC to keep their recruiting classes intact. That is the main reason he even was offered an opportunity at that time. 

18 hours ago, bigbird said:

Chad revolutionizes the offense from blocking schemes and passing game to player utilization and development.

If you do not see this early on we are probably looking for other direction following next season.

Got to replace the OL seniors and hope to see a lot of improvement there. As long as Steele is here we will be good defensively. Having Bo after a full season will be monumental.  

Gus finally sees that his simplistic, outdated, pitiful offense has been figured out by dc's and makes wholesale changes to catch up to 21st century offense.

Archived