hopes for next couple of years?

homersapien

10 hours ago, aucom96 said:

I guess it's a matter of what we try to run versus how we run it. The plays we run are pure power run. We don't throw the ball around. We don't have a quick strike passing attack. So we're asking under talented linemen to block for an inside running game starting with a 5 yard handicap. There is no 2:1 split. We run everything out of the shotgun formation...and our short yardage conversions show it. 

It may change nothing, but I've never been a fan. 

That's reasonable, and I think our run concepts need some work - I can't stand watching a RB run right into the back of the Center.

I think that there's a lot in that last sentence - While I was a fan during the 2000s with Tuberville and that pro-style, I really started WATCHING college football right around the same time the spread offenses were just starting to come into vogue. Personal taste matters, to be sure.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, bigbird said:

Keep working the list, Gus!

I was certain I was going to get to the end of your very quality and thorough list and see something about @augolf1716...

6 hours ago, bigbird said:

Who?

The one whose hopes are/ wants to live long enough to pester you...

23 hours ago, Auctoritas said:

1. I do not profess to be an expert, but there's a reason that recruiting services classify players as pocket passers and dual threat. I do not know of ANY DT QBs that operate from under center, and there's a reason that you recruit the way you recruit.

2. I'm OK trying something new, but I just want to be clear that you're asking to be the 2.0 version of Arkansas under Bielema. We don't have that personnel at QB or OL, it would take time and would be miserable.

There's a huge difference between a 9-win season and a disaster. We won 9 games, beat our biggest rival, didn't have major injuries at key positions, didn't have an embarrssing loss (in the sense of UT or MSST from last year) and have a metric crap ton of draft prospects that are going to make us look good. We easily won the ones we were "supposed to" and lost most of the ones that were toss-ups.

There have been Gus disaster seasons, and this wasn't one of them. Didn't end how we wanted, wish we'd done better, but 9 wins vs the toughest schedule in the country with a TF QB is...pretty good. Just okay. Not a disaster, and to say so diminishes the efforts of the players.

This is Auburn. We've seen **** shows, like 2012 and 3-2 and Doug Barfield. A 10-win season would have had everyone exulting, you can't go from success to abject failure in the span of 1 win. Be realistic.

1.  The reason a QB is labeled a dual threat QB is he is both a runner and passer.   When he takes the snap from center in the shot gun he is in the pocket thus he is a pocket passer so Deshan Watson will see the same thing as someone like Johnny Unitas who is dropping back from center.  The difference is Watson being a dual threat QB can escape out of the pocket whereas Johnny U. can not.   Fran Tarkenton and Randell Cunningham operated from under center.  In today's game Watson and Jason Allen are a hybrid of shot gun and under center albeit they are in the gun a lot more than under center. 

2.  This has nothing to do with Bielema.  Bielema ran zone blocking scheme I am talking about cross blocking.  This will not replace our current offense but add to it.  

3. I am being realistic when I say this year is a disaster because I look how this year will extrapolate into future years.  This year is reflective of it will be as good as it gets.  For instance, getting 300 yards a game we will continue to lose to GA and LSU.  While we beat Bama on the score board this year, they beat themselves and Bama will not do that very much so the loss to Fla is replaced by loss to Bama.  The comes the bowl so right there is 9-4 with Ole Miss, Miss State and Texas A&M moving forward we have to hope to continue to beat those teams to remain at 9-4. If we start losing to those teams our recruiting will draw up.  That is a disaster.

Archived