Chad Morris to have full control

Maverick.AU

8 hours ago, AUbehemoth said:

Y'all so lame. If Gus said he would remain the play caller then all of you would have been upset. He announces what you wanted and y'all still crying. Sounds like people who whine and complain no matter what

Call us what you will but the one thing you can't call us is gullible. 

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the who makes a difference. It's not just Chad Morris, it's a longtime friend and trusted confidant. I have hope because I don't think Gus would kneecap a close friend.

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I think the who makes a difference. It's not just Chad Morris, it's a longtime friend and trusted confidant. I have hope because I don't think Gus would kneecap a close friend.

So you do believe Gus when he says the playcalling will be handed over?  Do you think it will still have flavorings of a Malzahn offense or completely Chad's?

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I don’t know why this is so hard to understand for some folks. Chad Morris is clearly a different level than Rhett, Chip, and Dillingham. And to your point, Morris is a guy that won’t let Gus handicap him I don’t think. He’s more a peer than a up and comer like the others.  

20 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

So you do believe Gus when he says the playcalling will be handed over?  Do you think it will still have flavorings of a Malzahn offense or completely Chad's?

I want to believe him.

No idea

21 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

I don’t know why this is so hard to understand for some folks. Chad Morris is clearly a different level than Rhett, Chip, and Dillingham. And to your point, Morris is a guy that won’t let Gus handicap him I don’t think. He’s more a peer than a up and comer like the others.  

I get what you and Bird are saying and it's not hard to understand. It's just that we've heard it before and we're skeptical. Would love to have more confidence but right now I just don't. 

42 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Another thing that occurred to me is that Gus might feel like Morris is still a conduit of his own ideas and philosophies, thus he can still claim some ownership of any success the offense has under Chad's direction. 

Man. I really thought it would take longer this time for me to start rationalizing. Although I remain a lot more skeptical than in the past. 

11 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Loved AUNerds twitter blurb, "for all those out of practice, Chad calls all the good plays and Gus the bad ones."

Nerd's usually smarter than that.

9 hours ago, AUbehemoth said:

Y'all so lame. If Gus said he would remain the play caller then all of you would have been upset. He announces what you wanted and y'all still crying. Sounds like people who whine and complain no matter what

Thank you for your contribution to the conversation. And congrats on becoming an Auburn fan in the post-Chip Lindsey era. I can understand you not digging that far back in history- it's been months upon months!- to realize that there is precedent for Gus falsely claiming somebody else was in control of the offense. 

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I will believe it if i see Gus give up the headphones, and not screaming into the microphone every single play, like he so obviously did when he "supposedly turned the offense over to Rhett and Chip"

4 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

I will believe it if i see Gus give up the headphones, and not screaming into the microphone every single play, like he so obviously did when he "supposedly turned the offense over to Rhett and Chip"

To be fair during the Chip era he was not doing those things. He was off to the side with his hands in his pockets looking like he was counting down the seconds of the game to be over lol. The man was bored and said as much. He said he'd never not call plays again because football wasn't fun for him when he wasn't calling plays. This was per interview with Marty and McGee during their preseason shows where they interview each coach in the SEC.

So, just 5 months after saying that he's all of a sudden going back to being bored? And willingly? I don't know how long he can sit on his hands before he cracks and calls a run up the gut on first and starts overruling Chad. 

35 minutes ago, Tiger said:

To be fair during the Chip era he was not doing those things. He was off to the side with his hands in his pockets looking like he was counting down the seconds of the game to be over lol. The man was bored and said as much. He said he'd never not call plays again because football wasn't fun for him when he wasn't calling plays. This was per interview with Marty and McGee during their preseason shows where they interview each coach in the SEC.

So, just 5 months after saying that he's all of a sudden going back to being bored? And willingly? I don't know how long he can sit on his hands before he cracks and calls a run up the gut on first and starts overruling Chad. 

Will have to go back to 2017 and watch a game or two when CL was supposedly calling plays, but I don't recall him with hands in pockets. Every time the camera panned to him on the sidelines, I seem to recall him yelling into the head set mic before every offensive call. The only changes I saw from the years say 2013 to 2016 was that we tried to throw downfield way more often, but other than that Gus' same old wide receiver screens, run up the middle, same substitution patterns, jet sweeps, etc. I will have to see wholesale changes with my own 2 eyes and not see Gus yelling into the headset mic to be convinced he has turned play calling loose.

2 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

Will have to go back to 2017 and watch a game or two when CL was supposedly calling plays, but I don't recall him with hands in pockets. Every time the camera panned to him on the sidelines, I seem to recall him yelling into the head set mic before every offensive call. The only changes I saw from the years say 2013 to 2016 was that we tried to throw downfield way more often, but other than that Gus' same old wide receiver screens, run up the middle, same substitution patterns, jet sweeps, etc. I will have to see wholesale changes with my own 2 eyes and not see Gus yelling into the headset mic to be convinced he has turned play calling loose.

I don't think that was the case because if you remember he didn't have his play cards with him.  Just that little note card.  Is he communicating with his staff, absolutely.  Every head coach does that.  Some even yell more (Saban).

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

I don't think that was the case because if you remember he didn't have his play cards with him.  Just that little note card.  Is he communicating with his staff, absolutely.  Every head coach does that.  Some even yell more (Saban).

I'm sorry man, call me a conspiracy theorist or whatever, but I just don't buy that 
Gus ever gave up play calling. That's my evaluation from everything I've seen and it's not going to change until I see glaringly different looks from our offense.

I respect everyone else's opinion, but that is mine.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Thank you for your contribution to the conversation. And congrats on becoming an Auburn fan in the post-Chip Lindsey era. I can understand you not digging that far back in history- it's been months upon months!- to realize that there is precedent for Gus falsely claiming somebody else was in control of the offense. 

If you actually have football knowledge and watch film then you would know there is a difference in Chip Lindsey's play calling style and Gus Malzahn's. But I understand going with the popular mob mentality opinion when you don't actually know football. Thank for your input though. 😄

The fact that we have this thread period, much less a thread like it every f'ing year under Malzahn, says every thing that you need to know about our head coach and his offense. But hey, it sets records! WWWWWOOOOOO!!!!! LET'S GGGGGOOOOOOO!!!!! WAR DAMN MORRIS!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Shut up you lame! Don’t have an opinion

on the board.

Archived