Chad Morris to have full control

Maverick.AU

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

Great, now it's going to be an even Gus-ier offense...

37s1qe.gif

Yep, I've seen Chad's schemes & play calling the last few yrs (CU/SMU/Arky) he has a stubborn side, gets "cute" with his calls, had a tendency to run up the middle on 1st/2nd and  even if it isn't working, and his offense could be running it down an teams throat and he'd still run some kind of trick play. 

He's going to have to break out of that mold if he is expected to evolve this offense and take the reigns from Gus.

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

To be fair during the Chip era he was not doing those things. He was off to the side with his hands in his pockets looking like he was counting down the seconds of the game to be over lol. The man was bored and said as much. He said he'd never not call plays again because football wasn't fun for him when he wasn't calling plays. This was per interview with Marty and McGee during their preseason shows where they interview each coach in the SEC.

So, just 5 months after saying that he's all of a sudden going back to being bored? And willingly? I don't know how long he can sit on his hands before he cracks and calls a run up the gut on first and starts overruling Chad. 

Gus IS offense, it's in his blood, it is who he is as a Coach.  He has flip-flopped more than any seasoned politician and he can say whatever he chooses.  But he will never let go of his core or stand back & allow someone else to operate his side of the ball. 

Honestly I'm fine with that - he was supposedly going to sink or swim on his own last season because he doubled down on himself, he did alright and kept to his norm of 4 losses and now we're back to drawing board with him flip-flopping back to Chad taking full control. It's gotten comical.

1 hour ago, ArgoEagle said:

I'm sorry man, call me a conspiracy theorist or whatever, but I just don't buy that 
Gus ever gave up play calling. That's my evaluation from everything I've seen and it's not going to change until I see glaringly different looks from our offense.

I respect everyone else's opinion, but that is mine.

I think it was actually more like this with Gus.

giphy (5).gif

8 hours ago, keesler said:

Gus IS offense, it's in his blood, it is who he is as a Coach.  He has flip-flopped more than any seasoned politician and he can say whatever he chooses.  But he will never let go of his core or stand back & allow someone else to operate his side of the ball. 

Honestly I'm fine with that - he was supposedly going to sink or swim on his own last season because he doubled down on himself, he did alright and kept to his norm of 4 losses and now we're back to drawing board with him flip-flopping back to Chad taking full control. It's gotten comical.

He SHOULDN'T let go. He doesn't have to either. Has Gus ever heard of delegation? He really needs to get in contact with successful coaches and view their libraries. Heck, even read up on successful leaders. You can still have weekly goals, delegate and allow your underlings to create a successful action plan.

21 hours ago, AU_Twisterman said:

I hope this is Morris installing his own offense, as opposed to Morris just game planning and calling plays for Gus's offense.  There needs to be a complete redo, beginning with OL splits, stances, running play tempo, QB drops and release points, etc....

I'm going to ask this question because I'm truly not football smart.  How will we know after the first few games are played?  How would a CCM offense look vs what we have now?

If there ever was a time for Gus to actually turn the offense over to his OC, the time is now. I have no idea what Gus will do. I do hope for once in his career at Auburn, Gus gets it right and lets his OC call the game without Gus interfering. If it does not happen in 2020, it will never happen in the future. It is my sincerest prayer that this will happen in 2020, and finally Gus sees the light.

Time will tell. I actually think if Gus could let go for the entire 2020 season, we will see a marked improvement in all aspects of the offensive side of the ball, both running and passing. 

26 minutes ago, fishepa said:

I'm going to ask this question because I'm truly not football smart.  How will we know after the first few games are played?  How would a CCM offense look vs what we have now?

Not much running HB dive back to back with Morris and he definitely airs it out more 

I've been around this forum long enough to know how this works. This is how the play calling will go on here in the Fall lol:

Good play or executed play by players  - Morris called.

Bad play or improperly executed by players - Gus called.

I dont think Gus called the plays when we had Lindsey. Lindsey was clearly calling the plays. 

However Lindsey was calling plays that Gus preapproved beforehand. 

Gus would literally make sure the cameras saw that his mic was up. Lindsey absolutely called the plays. But as sure as I am that Lindsey called the plays, i am also just as sure that those plays were plays that Gus approved ahead of time. It was clear it was Lindsey calling the plays. It was also just as clear that it was not Lindsey's offense that he (Lindsey) was calling.

16 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I've been around this forum long enough to know how this works. This is how the play calling will go on here in the Fall lol:

Good play or executed play by players  - Morris called.

Bad play or improperly executed by players - Gus called.

It's never been a question of Gus calling one play and his OC calling the next and I really don't understand how that started, even as a joke. However,  Gus's level of influence over the play calling has definitely fluctuated from season to season,  from game to game, and even from half to half. 2019 + 4 OCs in 5 years confirms the first, Gus publicly handing over play calling to Lashlee mid-2016 confirms the second, and LSU 2017 confirms the third. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It's never been a question of Gus calling one play and his OC calling the next and I really don't understand how that started, even as a joke. However,  Gus's level of influence over the play calling has definitely fluctuated from season to season,  from game to game, and even from half to half. 2019 + 4 OCs in 5 years confirms the first, Gus publicly handing over play calling to Lashlee mid-2016 confirms the second, and LSU 2017 confirms the third. 

I was just stating how the forum will work for some fun. Has nothing to do with who actually calls the plays on the field. 99% of threads on this board involving play-calling will confirm that it's perspective is OC calls the good plays and Gus calls the bad plays. Mean we haven't even had a single spring practice yet under Morris.

Read up on other coaches that have been play callers, they have done the same thing as Gus and have taken as long, even longer in some cases, to make the full shift out. That list includes Belloti, Gundy, Holgronson,Tedford, Briles. It helped get Kiffin fired at USC and Orgeron rallied that team by delegating and took that with him to LSU. Who also admitted it took him years to learn he couldn't do everything and needed to delegate.

Herman is in the middle of doing it now. Applewhite called plays at Houston, Beck called them in 2017 and Herman took them away and called his own. Now he is bringing in Yurich to give up play calling again.  Which from understanding was Gus's top OC choice after Lashlee.

1 hour ago, Texan4Auburn said:

99% of threads on this board involving play-calling will confirm that it's perspective is OC calls the good plays and Gus calls the bad plays.

I'm not sure if I've ever read somebody say that even one single time. It is certainly not a significant or pervading notion on this forum.

However, I have seen many people use it hyperbolically to misrepresent and mock the opposing view.

I don't understand the confusion.

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm not sure if I've ever read somebody say that even one single time. It is certainly not a significant or pervading notion on this forum.

However, I have seen many people use it hyperbolically to misrepresent and mock the opposing view.

I don't understand the confusion.

It was for fun.

And someone else said pretty much the same thing two hours ago in the CEO post right under one of your posts lol. So I am not the only person that has seen it. And yes it has been said with seriousness regarding play calling/games.

Gus will either make or break this year most likely. He figures it out, lets the OC do his job, takes some pressure off himself, wins 10, progresses and moves forward. He bombs with Morris, especially offensively, and is out the door.

More importantly..... we must now go drink and eat dinner for our second Tool concert in as many days. Can they carry over to Dallas what they did in Austin, or is it really the stage crew playing the instruments!!!! or they went Ashley Simpson and lip sync everything. Have we not yet learned from Milli Vanilli.

21 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Gus will either make or break this year most likely. He figures it out, lets the OC do his job, takes some pressure off himself, wins 10, progresses and moves forward. He bombs with Morris, especially offensively, and is out the door

Man if I had a nickel for every year I heard that, I'd have a quarter.

21 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

It was for fun.

And someone else said pretty much the same thing two hours ago in the CEO post right under one of your posts lol. So I am not the only person that has seen it. And yes it has been said with seriousness regarding play calling/games.

Gus will either make or break this year most likely. He figures it out, lets the OC do his job, takes some pressure off himself, wins 10, progresses and moves forward. He bombs with Morris, especially offensively, and is out the door.

More importantly..... we must now go drink and eat dinner for our second Tool concert in as many days. Can they carry over to Dallas what they did in Austin, or is it really the stage crew playing the instruments!!!! or they went Ashley Simpson and lip sync everything. Have we not yet learned from Milli Vanilli.

Enjoy the show, man! And the food and drink.

3 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I dont think Gus called the plays when we had Lindsey. Lindsey was clearly calling the plays. 

However Lindsey was calling plays that Gus preapproved beforehand. 

Gus would literally make sure the cameras saw that his mic was up. Lindsey absolutely called the plays. But as sure as I am that Lindsey called the plays, i am also just as sure that those plays were plays that Gus approved ahead of time. It was clear it was Lindsey calling the plays. It was also just as clear that it was not Lindsey's offense that he (Lindsey) was calling.

"Gus would literally make sure the cameras saw that his mic was up."

That literally doesn't make sense...lol

3 minutes ago, creed said:

"Gus would literally make sure the cameras saw that his mic was up."

That literally doesn't make sense...lol

Ok. Sure. Just because you didnt see Gus looking DIRECTLY into a camera as he threw his mic up and walked down the sideline doesnt mean I didnt. 

And judging by the reactions to my post in the short time since I posted that it sure seems others saw the same thing.

1 hour ago, AuMarine said:

If Morris can transform our offense and utilize the skill players... 

1CDEB6D6-C07B-42E3-81EE-D96255F3B5F3.gif

Thinking like that is a dangerous game my friend 

Archived