Even Year = Gus is CEO

dyehardfanAU

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

I am legitimately asking: would we though?  If you recall, it was very common to strip Gus of his wins with Chip here.  Instead we said the only reason we won was Chip called the plays, and we lost it was Gus.  I have a feeling this will repeat.  Or the only reason we won in 2010 was Cam, or Marshall in 2013.  That is a concern just due to the history.

Compare Chip's offenses at ASU and Troy to what we saw under him at Auburn. The 2017 offense was the exact same plays, minus a few exceptions, that we've seen Gus'entire tenure. We used the same formations, personnel groupings, and substitution patterns, while simultaneously avoiding attacking the same areas of the field and having bad situational play calls. Chip might've been calling plays, but it was clearly off of Gus' play sheet and with his approval. No way was that Chip's offense.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Compare Chip's offenses at ASU and Troy to what we saw under him at Auburn. The 2017 offense was the exact same plays, minus a few exceptions, that we've seen Gus'entire tenure. We used the same formations, personnel groupings, and substitution patterns, while simultaneously avoiding attacking the same areas of the field and having bad situational play calls. Chip might've been calling plays, but it was clearly off of Gus' play sheet and with his approval. No way was that Chip's offense.

I watched several USM games in person and what Chip ran at AU was nothing like what he ran at USM.  Bruh put up a 3000 yard passer and two 1000 rushers in the same season and then Gus wouldn't get out of his way and let him do what he knows.

3 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I watched several USM games in person and what Chip ran at AU was nothing like what he ran at USM.  Bruh put up a 3000 yard passer and two 1000 rushers in the same season and then Gus wouldn't get out of his way and let him do what he knows.

Both SMU and Troy were in the top 15 in passing yards per game this past season. Rhett and Chip were handcuffed. The thought of averaging 300 yards a game passing makes Gus go in to the fetal position!!!! Lol also Rhett was the only reason we got stidham and he was doing the heavy lifting on the U getting King the best and most coveted transfer QB on the market. 

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

Both SMU and Troy were in the top 15 in passing yards pee game this past season. Rhett and Chip were handcuffed. The thought of averaging 300 yards a game passing makes Gus go in to the fetal position!!!! Lol also Rhett was the only reason we got stidham and he was doing the heavy lifting on the U getting King the best and most coveted transfer QB on the market. 

scapegAUts.

8 hours ago, gctiger said:

Gus started out as the play caller, then went to CEO, then last season back to the play caller, and now back to CEO.  I wonder how much longer it will be until he decides what he wants to be when he grows up?  

Now thats funny

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Correct me  if I am wrong, but didn't Chip spend all 2017 Spring practice installing his Air Raid just for Gus to change course during fall camp?

3 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I am legitimately asking: would we though?  If you recall, it was very common to strip Gus of his wins with Chip here.  Instead we said the only reason we won was Chip called the plays, and we lost it was Gus.  I have a feeling this will repeat.  Or the only reason we won in 2010 was Cam, or Marshall in 2013.  That is a concern just due to the history.

There are distinct differences in the way Chad calls plays vs Gus. It will be fairly evident as to what's going on. Either way, the tendencies have to be broken. 

I will not get excited again, I will not get excited again, I will not get excited again...

Seriously, been waiting for over five years to see if Gus ever finds it important to be the Head Coach, instead of a perceived offensive guru. I'll sit back and watch. I've been very critical of Gus, and justifiably so I feel. However, contrary to what some may believe I don't hate the man. I sincerely hope he has seen the light, and will let Morris do his job without micromanaging. Come September if I see Gus with a set of headsets on rolling his hands like some spastic all bets are off. I won't be led to the buffet again, and then told there are no more plates. 

On 1/22/2020 at 9:16 AM, Mikey said:

I think his problem was letting other people (PTB types) tell him how to run his program. He's a play caller, he should have stuck with that throughout and sunk or swam with the results. Consistency is important.

I disagree, I don't think any other PTB other than possibly Harbert are telling him how to run his program.  Truth be known, many PTB want him to continue doing it his way so that when he proves yet again that he is no better than a 4 loss/yr coach, they can watch him ride off the Plains.  How could they possibly dictate anything to him when he has them by the short hairs with that ridiculous buyout?  Gus has owned this program in ever facet for years now, even moreso after Jacobs was canned.  

He doubled down in himself last season, he promised evolution, adjustments and more creativity in 2019.  He acknowledged the fact that he knew is old way of scheming wouldn't cut it in today's college football and he said HE was calling the shots and felt very confident that HE could bring this offense out of stagnation.  

Gus has been very consistent though, he's still subbing constantly (allowing the D to do the same) and using some of the same designed plays he's always used. 

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

He doubled down in himself last season, he promised evolution, adjustments and more creativity in 2019.  He acknowledged the fact that he knew is old way of scheming wouldn't cut it in today's college football and he said HE was calling the shots and felt very confident that HE could bring this offense out of stagnation.  

His lack of self awareness is breath taking.  "It's not the end of the world."

13 minutes ago, keesler said:

I disagree, I don't think any other PTB other than possibly Harbert are telling him how to run his program. 

I was speaking of a few years ago, when the PTB (allegedly) demanded that Gus get rid of Lashlee and hire a new OC. Since the buyout, he can, at least financially, tell them to take a leap.

On 1/21/2020 at 4:27 PM, dyehardfanAU said:

Well gang, let the scapegoating begin.  Gus has announced Chad Morris will call plays next season.

Anyone paying attention knew this would happen since Gus is OC in odd years and CEO in even years.

Wow. Looking at this, it's true. :rollin:

39 minutes ago, keesler said:

I disagree, I don't think any other PTB other than possibly Harbert are telling him how to run his program.  Truth be known, many PTB want him to continue doing it his way so that when he proves yet again that he is no better than a 4 loss/yr coach, they can watch him ride off the Plains.  How could they possibly dictate anything to him when he has them by the short hairs with that ridiculous buyout?  Gus has owned this program in ever facet for years now, even moreso after Jacobs was canned.  

Gus has been very consistent though, he's still subbing constantly (allowing the D to do the same) and using some of the same designed plays he's always used. 

Harbert isn't telling anyone at AU what to do anymore.

24 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I was speaking of a few years ago, when the PTB (allegedly) demanded that Gus get rid of Lashlee and hire a new OC. Since the buyout, he can, at least financially, tell them to take a leap.

This is such non-sense. He needs these people to keep funding his program. He isn't telling anyone to take a leap. They could gut him like a pig and show his weakness as a coach if they wanted. Instead they continue to give him what he wants and needs to stay afloat.

The PTB demanded that he get his act together. His friends that were close to him at the time recommended that he modernism his offense. He, Gus, made a change at OC. Got the guy, Chip, that he wanted. The PTB didn't care how, they just demanded that he did.

4 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

This is such non-sense. He needs these people to keep funding his program. He isn't telling anyone to take a leap. They could gut him like a pig and show his weakness as a coach if they wanted. Instead they continue to give him what he wants and needs to stay afloat.

The PTB demanded that he get his act together. His friends that were close to him at the time recommended that he modernism his offense. He, Gus, made a change at OC. Got the guy, Chip, that he wanted. The PTB didn't care how, they just demanded that he did.

Do you like the Morris hire?  Do you think positive changes are coming in the sense that Chad will get to run his offense as he pleases?

47 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Do you like the Morris hire?  Do you think positive changes are coming in the sense that Chad will get to run his offense as he pleases?

I like the Morris hire. I also think Gus is getting to let him run the offense.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

But he didn't do it, he didn't modernize his offense and the PTB didn't do jacks#it to him for failing to evolve that offense last year.  When a demand is made and it fails to get results, there has to be consequences for that failure at some point.

It's been said that Greene is a peace maker and the PTB/BOT acknowledge there is fan frustration but they just chalk it up to fans being fans and they have no intention of making a change at the HC position.

3 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I like the Morris hire. I also think Gus is getting to let him run the offense.

I feel like this is a big deal if you are thinking this. You never sugarcoat. 

13 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

His personal finances are such that he can, indeed, tell them to take a leap. Now that things have changed they can no longer jerk him around like they did with the Lashlee/Chip deal. Besides which, these days it seems that the important parts of the PTB are quite satisfied to keep Gus as the HC. They won't be gutting their Head Coach, they want to keep him.

Archived