Marcus Woodson leaving for FSU

TitanTiger

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The name that seems to be getting a lot of chatter is Al Pogue.  Was a HS football coach here in Alabama and was an off the field analyst here a few years ago, then left to be the DB coach at Troy under Neal Brown.  Brown took him to West Virginia and he's coaching LBs there right now.  Pogue would be a good hire, but I don't know who else might be in play or how good of a recruiter Pogue is.

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Call Corey Raymond now!

TAMU tried to hire Corey Raymond a couple of weeks ago, he turned them down.  So they hired FSU's DB coach...

10 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

how good of a recruiter Pogue is.

Supposedly a real good recruiter & knows the Alabama landscape very well which is important because this is a loaded in state class for 2021.

14 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

TAMU tried to hire Corey Raymond a couple of weeks ago, he turned them down.  So they hired FSU's DB coach...

Haven't people been trying to steal Corey Raymond for years now?  He's been there for going on 9 years.  He just seems to be happy in Baton Rouge.

8 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Haven't people been trying to steal Corey Raymond for years now?  He's been there for going on 9 years.  He just seems to be happy in Baton Rouge.

Im not sure I would leave DBU for anywhere right now if I were him. Especially for the same position.

3 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

Time to bring Coach Thig home?

Why is Auburn home for Thig?  He played for UNC and is now the Co-DC and LBs coach at UNC under Mack Brown.

23 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Why is Auburn home for Thig?  He played for UNC and is now the Co-DC and LBs coach at UNC under Mack Brown.

Because Auburn should be home to anyone that has ever coached or played there

would coach steele not get to help pick the new db coach since he would be coaching under steele and needing someone that will fit in his schemes?

16 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

Because Auburn should be home to anyone that has ever coached or played there

Well that's sweet.  Not realistic, but sweet.

giphy.gif

What is his new position at FSU? Hope he didn't leave for the same job. Hate this....really liked the combo of him and McGriff working together on the secondary

Oooof this one stings. Why FSU? Did he get a promotion? 

Unrelated to that, are his Mississippi connections still of high value to us since this last class was a loaded one in that state?  How are the future classes looking for MS? Does Leach/Kiffen put us in a spot to focus elsewhere? I'm not pretending to be in the know on this stuff so I'm genuinely curious

18 minutes ago, gravejd said:

What is his new position at FSU? Hope he didn't leave for the same job. Hate this....really liked the combo of him and McGriff working together on the secondary

Expected to be the same position. With Gus being on the hot seat a good bit he likely has more security the next 3 years at FSU by making the move.

4 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Oooof this one stings. Why FSU? Did he get a promotion? 

Unrelated to that, are his Mississippi connections still of high value to us since this last class was a loaded one in that state?  How are the future classes looking for MS? Does Leach/Kiffen put us in a spot to focus elsewhere? I'm not pretending to be in the know on this stuff so I'm genuinely curious

Fortunately, we still have McGriff who has solid Mississippi ties from when he was their DC. 

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Expected to be the same position. With Gus being on the hot seat a good bit he likely has more security the next 3 years at FSU by making the move.

giphy.gif

8 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Why FSU?

Norvell gave him his big break in coaching, likely better job security in the short term, & FSU upped their financial offer this time around.

are his Mississippi connections still of high value to us since this last class was a loaded one in that state?

It was the class before this one & yes but Alabama is loaded in 2021 so that may be a higher recruiting value.

How are the future classes looking for MS?

Can only answer for 2021 & not too good.

Does Leach/Kiffen put us in a spot to focus elsewhere?

Doubt it. More likely talent does.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Norvell gave him his big break in coaching, likely better job security in the short term, & FSU upped their financial offer this time around.

It was the class before this one & yes but Alabama is loaded in 2021 so that may be a higher recruiting value.

Can only answer for 2021 & not too good.

Doubt it. More likely talent does.

Preciate you breaking that down for me, E. I forgot the loaded MS class was the one before this last one. Woooops

I'd at least waste a phone call on Corey Raymond.  He's the best DB coach in college football.  I don't see anyone getting him out of Red Stick unless it's to make him a defensive coordinator, but you call him anyway.

Of the candidates I've heard, I probably like Al Pogue.  But I'm admittedly not an expert on who the best available are.

Archived