Marcus Woodson leaving for FSU

TitanTiger

6 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

The name that seems to be getting a lot of chatter is Al Pogue.  Was a HS football coach here in Alabama and was an off the field analyst here a few years ago, then left to be the DB coach at Troy under Neal Brown.  Brown took him to West Virginia and he's coaching LBs there right now.  Pogue would be a good hire, but I don't know who else might be in play or how good of a recruiter Pogue is.

He was Jeremy Johnson's coach, right?  I think that's when I first started hearing his name.  Supposedly he's a great recruiter and that's what we need in Woodson's replacement.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, ellitor said:

Supposedly a real good recruiter & knows the Alabama landscape very well which is important because this is a loaded in state class for 2021.

Exactly . Could have 3 five stars in this class from in state . Right now AU is tops for all 3. We need to sign them all .

1 hour ago, TigerOne said:

was that really a difficult thing to do?

The guy knows how to coach, and would be a great addition to our defensive staff. Do you have a favorite for DB coach?

15 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

He was Jeremy Johnson's coach, right?  I think that's when I first started hearing his name.  Supposedly he's a great recruiter and that's what we need in Woodson's replacement.

He was.  Carver HS in Montgomery went on a really good run while he was there, making and going deep into the playoffs several times.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

This has not been a criticism most of the time Woodson was here.

Woodson was a decent position coach but I think he was even better at recruiting especially in Mississippi.  Hope someone can fill that void. As far as DB play, while I wasn’t happy with it all. as I believe Bird has said on occasion it’s more the type of defense we choose to play as opposed to the players. Probably way to much man coverage and with today’s offense that doesn’t fly. Using a lot of pick screens on offense that don’t get called. If I’m wrong as to what Mr. Bird said I apologize. 😊

We played 2 teams in the top 5, 3 teams in the top 20, and 4 teams in the top 50 in passing offense. We finished 17th in scoring defense. Our DB play was not a problem. 

Methinks 64 is bored and looking to start some ish. 

26 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Exactly . Could have 3 five stars in this class from in state . Right now AU is tops for all 3. We need to sign them all .

We arent tops for the 5* DB from Pinson Valley. That would be Clemson. 

But I agree we need to get on all 3 of those young men. It would be amazing to actually sign our first ever 5* CB. 

Read where Kevin Steele has signed a three year extension. I have complete confidence he will find an outstanding DB coach to complement his current Defensive Staff. 

3 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

My vote would go to either Tommy Thigpen or hold on to your hats. Gene Chizik.

Glad you don't get a vote

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Have you been the one endlessly complaining, or do you just pay too much attention to idiots?

Nope....never thought much about him and had no idea about whether he was good or not.  Just noted than a game barely got out of the first quarter before a bunch of folks were griping because our guys never looked back on a long pass....or could not defend without committing a PI.   I figure everyone on this site is an expert...or at least they seem to think they are experts if you pay attention to their posts.   

Just seems to be a common view that other that Steele,  all of our coaches are mostly incompetent.......which is how a team like Minnesota seemed to push out defense around. :dunno:  So seems that new coaches coming in would represent an opportunity for improvement.  ….or is that wrong?   :-\

32 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

I would go after coach Thigpen though. I thought he did a real good job on coach Chizik's staff.

Hey I have a guy I bet you would like... he is a former coach. Thicken is it? (I saw it before the edit.)

Na Thigpen. That's the guy

32 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Nope....never thought much about him and had no idea about whether he was good or not.  Just noted than a game barely got out of the first quarter before a bunch of folks were griping because our guys never looked back on a long pass....or could not defend without committing a PI.   I figure everyone on this site is an expert...or at least they seem to think they are experts if you pay attention to their posts.   

Just seems to be a common view that other that Steele,  all of our coaches are mostly incompetent.......which is how a team like Minnesota seemed to push out defense around. :dunno:  So seems that new coaches coming in would represent an opportunity for improvement.  ….or is that wrong?   :-\

How embarrassing.

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

How embarrassing.

True....in the past season we have had folks in great numbers wanting to fire about half the major coaches....typically starting after the first game or two.  Just my opinion but KS has partly buffaloed many on this board....mostly the players we have on defense are better than the results in many games and the defensive stats are good but not exceptional. 

AT4life is correct...all season we were watching WRs run away from our DBs or see that what are called 50-50 balls, mostly going to the other side and I don't think that was KS's idea of a defensive scheme..   

33 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

why would we? there has to be at least a coach out there thats better. He was a linebacker guy too

He coached secondary while at Auburn. The guy can coach but I don’t think he’d want the job.

Damn.....and if you think he was a bad coach something is wrong.........and who were our starting corners? A former wr and a 3 star? I know we moved some corners to safety or whatever so I'm not certain on who started where but seriously we have two corners that were so good they left early and they both start in the NFL.....and he supposedly can't coach?

11 hours ago, ellitor said:

Expected to be the same position. With Gus being on the hot seat a good bit he likely has more security the next 3 years at FSU by making the move.

FSU? Security? Good one.

6 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Not sure we are tops for McKinstry. It may be Clemson.

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Our DB play was not a problem. 

Except for the Bama game which we won thanks to 2 pick sixes by Mac Jones.

4 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

I would go after coach Thigpen though. I thought he did a real good job on coach Chizik's staff.

You've posted this 4 times within the span of 1 page for what reason exactly?

Archived