Marcus Woodson leaving for FSU

TitanTiger

3 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

He was a linebacker guy too

And a hardcore Tampa 2 zone guy. That doesn't mesh well with Steele's man schemes.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

FSU? Security? Good one.

New head coaches generally have a 3 year grace period so yes security.

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not sure we are tops for McKinstry. It may be Clemson.

He seems hell bent on legit playing both sports in college. And not just the token statement from kids who give that lip service. I choose to believe bruuuuuuuuuuce wins out here. 

Hopefully he comes to some AU bball games when his season is over.

3 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

Why wouldn’t we want Chizik? 

Why would Chizik want the job?

13 hours ago, ellitor said:

Expected to be the same position. With Gus being on the hot seat a good bit he likely has more security the next 3 years at FSU by making the move.

Or more likely an easier path to be the DC in a couple of years.  Also, reunited with old staff members, raise, no income tax state and better line to DC if that is what he wants.  AU tried to counter but he moved on.

3 hours ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

Or more likely an easier path to be the DC in a couple of years.  Also, reunited with old staff members, raise, no income tax state and better line to DC if that is what he wants.  AU tried to counter but he moved on.

I know all this and stated all of it except for the easier path to DC & the state tax in previous Post in the thread.

5 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

He seems hell bent on legit playing both sports in college. And not just the token statement from kids who give that lip service. I choose to believe bruuuuuuuuuuce wins out here. 

Hopefully he comes to some AU bball games when his season is over.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out for sure. I think most if not all of his schools of interest have offered scholarships in both sports. This will be a recruiting tagteam match for sure.

11 hours ago, ellitor said:

Except for the Bama game which we won thanks to 2 pick sixes by Mac Jones.

Bama had the best receiving corps in the country. Their WRs destroyed most defenses. 

6 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Chizik actually interviewed for a DC with some team this year. Don’t remember off hand who it was. 

I could see that but a DB coach seems a stretch, especially working for Gus. 

8 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Chizik actually interviewed for a DC with some team this year. Don’t remember off hand who it was. 

I heard that State was considering him but I never heard anything past that initial list. Maybe it was them. 

4 minutes ago, gr82be said:
13 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I heard that State was considering him but I never heard anything past that initial list. Maybe it was them. 

Chizik did interview with MS State and then told them he was not interested after the first meeting.

18 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Bama had the best receiving corps in the country. Their WRs destroyed most defenses. 

I know that too. lol

Just now, LKEEL75 said:

Chizik did interview with MS State and then told them he was not interested after the first meeting.

He's got what I would think is a pretty sweet gig now. He may just miss the coaching world. 

8 minutes ago, gr82be said:

He's got what I would think is a pretty sweet gig now. He may just miss the coaching world. 

I saw some quips that were saying he only took the interview to tell them to go to hell as retaliation for the Cam scandal.  

12 hours ago, ellitor said:

You've posted this 4 times within the span of 1 page for what reason exactly?

He REALLY wants Thigpen.  

tenor.gif

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

Seems like, almost to a man, former players and coaches talk about the locker room like a transplanted New Yorker talks about pizza.

(The main difference is that transplanted New Yorkers never actually want to go back.)

I hear we are about to announce Noah Iggynogknee as the next DB coach.  He'll start off at $250K and be the Co-DC.

17 hours ago, cole256 said:

Damn.....and if you think he was a bad coach something is wrong.........and who were our starting corners? A former wr and a 3 star? I know we moved some corners to safety or whatever so I'm not certain on who started where but seriously we have two corners that were so good they left early and they both start in the NFL.....and he supposedly can't coach?

Woodson didn’t coach Carlton Davis

JGT is floating that it appears it's going to be a promotion for a current analyst instead of going out and hiring a proven elite recruiter.

Former Furman cornerbacks coach Addison Williams joined Auburn's staff as an "assistant to" head coach Gus Malzahn in February 2019. He is also an analyst. It's not clear if he will be on Auburn's personnel staff or strictly work with Auburn's offensive and defensive analysts in the film room and on the field in the fall.

Williams worked previously as a defensive backs coach and coordinator at Tusculum College, a Division II school, before joining Furman. He was an All-SEC cornerback for three years South Carolina.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/LongFormArticle/Meet-the-38-support-staffers-behind-the-scenes-of-2019-Auburn-football-133354724/#133354724_1

6 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

JGT is floating that it appears it's going to be a promotion for a current analyst instead of going out and hiring a proven elite recruiter.

Former Furman cornerbacks coach Addison Williams joined Auburn's staff as an "assistant to" head coach Gus Malzahn in February 2019. He is also an analyst. It's not clear if he will be on Auburn's personnel staff or strictly work with Auburn's offensive and defensive analysts in the film room and on the field in the fall.

Williams worked previously as a defensive backs coach and coordinator at Tusculum College, a Division II school, before joining Furman. He was an All-SEC cornerback for three years South Carolina.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/LongFormArticle/Meet-the-38-support-staffers-behind-the-scenes-of-2019-Auburn-football-133354724/#133354724_1

He could absolutely step up and be one. I would not hate the hire.  Besides Greg Brown Steele's and Gus track record has been strong when hiring guys for the defensive side of the ball.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

He could absolutely step up and be one. I would not hate the hire.  Besides Greg Brown Steele's and Gus track record has been strong when hiring guys for the defensive side of the ball.

Sure, anyone could step up and be one.  I'm just a little surprised Gus/Steele wouldn't go after a proven commodity with what we're losing in Woodson.

Just now, dyehardfanAU said:

Sure, anyone could step up and be one.  I'm just a little surprised Gus/Steele wouldn't go after a proven commodity with what we're losing in Woodson.

Well no one knew who Woodson was or at least I will say MOST people did not know who Woodson was when they brought him in to the fold. Most wanted a bigger and more proven name then too. He turned out to be a top 3 recruiter on staff with RG and T Will. He turned out to be my favorite assistant on staff. For now I will trust the track record for hiring defensive coaches. It most likely will be Addison or Al Pogue. Both are not splashy big names. And if it is not them it would probaly be Blake Gideon who Lane just hired at Ole Miss. I know everyone wants the grand slam hire of getting Dell McGee to come coach the position group he played for at AU but how many times can one guy turn us down? lol. 

Archived