New deal for Kevin Steele through 2022

Maverick.AU

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

If anybody wants to talk to Steele, just go hang out in the chip and popcorn aisle of the Moore’s Mill Publix. He will engage with any fan. One of the nicest, humble guys in the business

With Pearl, Thompson, sometimes Gouge, and the occasional Gus at the gas pump, visit the Exon on the corner of Samford and Gay. Pearl and Thompson extremely approachable. Butch will talk baseball all day. Bruce enjoys talking about his non - coaching years he spent in the food service industry. Gus is polite but always seems to be headed to fire and him being the only man with a hose.

1 hour ago, passthebiscuits said:

He will engage with any fan. One of the nicest, humble guys in the business. 

Yup. When he's not in game mode he's as cool as the other side of the pillow. His brother Jeff works for AU Athletics also. The nice runs in the family.

4 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Steele has/had no intention of being head coach, and the last convo I had with him (around LSU week during the season), he was strongly considering retiring at year end. (Wanted to retire to the Beach he told me...grandkids?)

And this everyone, is how a rumor is proven to be real. Straight from a conversation with the man. Coach Steele was seriously considering retirement.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Also, I'm gonna need a link to that conversation before I even begin to think about believing it.

I mean who is this PTB guy? Anyone who doesn't like biscuits can't be legit or trustworthy.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

And this everyone, is how a rumor is proven to be real. Straight from a conversation with the man. Coach Steele was seriously considering retirement.

I thought the rumor was he wanted to retire because of some type of frustration with Gus...either way glad to have him back for a few more years.

4 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

I thought the rumor was he wanted to retire because of some type of frustration with Gus...either way glad to have him back for a few more years.

The reason isn’t as important as the confirmation as he was seriously considering retirement.

17 hours ago, AUDevil said:

I'm not as familiar with how Auburn works (because they won't reward me with any design work), but often large donations/pledges come with contractual stipulations that they be spent for X project, by X date.  Design schedules, construction start and end dates are critical components of these agreements.  I witnessed one such agreement while doing some design work down at the Ringling Museum of Art in Sarasota.  A lady had donated a very large sum of money for a particular project.  She had a falling out with new administration early on and tried to take her money back, but was found to be contractually obligated to pay for the project.  As design and construction commenced, the facilities manager had to be VERY careful that all agreed upon dates were achieved or she would have grounds to recuperate her $$$. 

To a degree yes.  Harbert is a good example at Auburn.  He donated $40 million to the business school.  But, he put stipulations on it and did not put all of the money forward at the beginning.  The business school had to hit certain criteria like improve the business schools rankings and have more tenured professors.  Once one of those marks were hit, a new batch of money would come in.  Make sense?  I just completed a similar gift with a client at Georgia Southern who just built their new student ACT.  Certain things needed to be hit before the construction would be complete.

They are not always like this though.  Sometimes the lump sum is donated up front.  Once it is donated you cannot get it back or you are in big trouble with the IRS if you took a deduction.  It depends on the person and how they want to handle it.

14 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

With Pearl, Thompson, sometimes Gouge, and the occasional Gus at the gas pump, visit the Exon on the corner of Samford and Gay. Pearl and Thompson extremely approachable. Butch will talk baseball all day. Bruce enjoys talking about his non - coaching years he spent in the food service industry. Gus is polite but always seems to be headed to fire and him being the only man with a hose.

I'd think the AD could afford a runner to gas up the coaches vehicles.  I know of another school in this state that has a couple of guys that do nothing but run errands and maintain the coaching staff's fleet.

11 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

The Kevin Steele thread took a serious turn and it went wild with insinuations that he'd take the HC position if Gus was canned.  People even ventured to guess what kind of offensive staff he'd gather at AU and who he'd trust to be his DC.  Many wanted to totally ignore his past HC record because he'd have surely learned a lot since his Baylor days.  It went on and on and a Mod backed it the whole way.

The terminology you remember was that KS told someone in the AD (Greene?) that he was leaving if Gus was retained.  Now it sounds like the words were twisted from the truth that KS was considering retirement.  

At the end of the day Gus stays at $6/MM a year and Steele stays at $2.5MM/yr and we all hope they get it together and make the CPF in 2020.

6 minutes ago, keesler said:

I'd think the AD could afford a runner to gas up the coaches vehicles.  I know of another school in this state that has a couple of guys that do nothing but run errands and maintain the coaching staff's fleet.

Maaaaaaaan, the "don't pay the players" set would get a lot more respect from me if they bitched and moaned about this first. 

4 minutes ago, keesler said:

it went wild with insinuations that he'd take the HC position if Gus was canned

That's not wild at all.

4 minutes ago, keesler said:

The terminology you remember was that KS told someone in the AD (Greene?) that he was leaving if Gus was retained

Again, not wild, and not nearly as nefarious as you make it seem. Not necessarily anyway. There are several scenarios in which 1) Steele would 100% have been justified in feeling that way (I'm sure he did for at least a time) and 2) that information would have become known to someone besides Steele in a way that didn't involve him storming into Greene's office to make demands. You were right, Steele wouldn't stab Gus in the back. In no way does that make the above untrue. 

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

The reason isn’t as important as the confirmation as he was seriously considering retirement.

Two totally different alleged rumors. One was based on retirement and one based on frustration with the head coach. Does it matter in the big scheme of things...of course not cause he is back.

36 minutes ago, keesler said:

Pretty sure we are capable of the same. May be cutting cost to save for FOF though.

26 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Two totally different alleged rumors. One was based on retirement and one based on frustration with the head coach. Does it matter in the big scheme of things...of course not cause he is back.

I didn't see 2 separate rumors. I saw credible info that he was frustrated with Gus. fans jumped to the incorrect conclusion that's why he would retire. Again the seriously contemplating retirement part, not a rumor. The because of Gus part, jumping to conclusions & yes a rumor.

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I didn't see 2 separate rumors. I saw credible info that he was frustrated with Gus. fans jumped to the incorrect conclusion that's why he would retire. Again the seriously contemplating retirement part, not a rumor. The because of Gus part, jumping to conclusions & yes a rumor.

I agree with this premise, that thread went haywire to say the least.  I personally never saw the retirement part until PTB posted it in this thread.  But there were many posts contemplating Steele replacing Gus at HC.

NOW - Thank Goodness he'll be running that D another few years and making bank while he's doing it.  He's earned his pay.

19 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Pretty sure we are capable of the same. May be cutting cost to save for FOF though.

They don't just work for the football coaching staff though, so the salary expense doesn't hit the football program @ 100% of the cost.  It's divided among the # of sports programs, it ends up being a negligent expense when it's divided equally among the schools coaches.  It's an amenity/luxury, coach doesn't have to pump his/her own gas someone else does it for them.

12 minutes ago, keesler said:

They don't just work for the football coaching staff though, so the salary expense doesn't hit the football program @ 100% of the cost.  It's divided among the # of sports programs, it ends up being a negligent expense when it's divided equally among the schools coaches.  It's an amenity/luxury, coach doesn't have to pump his/her own gas someone else does it for them.

But what if the coach likes to pump his/her own gas?

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

A rumor, yes. An illogical conclusion, no. (Not that you are arguing otherwise.)

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Was his frustrations with Gus gonna lead him to retire, quit, work at another school...etc? Was that true? 

17 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

Most people don't ever list their full resume of reasons for updating or laying to rest their current one. 

20 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

First of all, 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣!

I think he's just seriously headed to Mama Mocha's.

1 hour ago, ToraGirl said:

First of all, 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣!

I think he's just seriously headed to Mama Mocha's.

I thought he was in a hurry to get to Chad Morris' offense meetings?

22 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I thought he was in a hurry to get to Chad Morris' offense meetings?

HUNM...

HURRY UP NO MEDDLE!

Archived