New deal for Kevin Steele through 2022

Maverick.AU

11 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Yeah I've been wondering what ever happened to that rumor

I don't remember a rumor that Steele was threatening to leave and thus was going to be given the head gig. 

What I remember was that there was a good chance that Gus was going to be fired because of his poor performance (only unlikely because of the buyout), that Steele wasn't very happy (highly believable given his championship-level job performance being compromised by the extremely poor performance of the offense that his boss is 100% in control of), and that Steele might be offered the job if Gus was let go (again highly believable for myriad reasons). 

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, rophle said:

It just vanished into thin air like most of the asinine rumors that the so called insiders come up with. 

Obviously KS is happy with his situation. Sure he could coach about anywhere he felt choosing. Great to hear. We will be in good shape defensively as long as he is around. 

1 hour ago, rophle said:

It just vanished into thin air like most of the asinine rumors that the so called insiders come up with. 

Yep.  People gotta stop believing everything that pops up on the Random JABA Generator.  

35 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I don't remember a rumor that Steele was threatening to leave and thus was going to be given the head gig. 

What I remember was that there was a good chance that Gus was going to be fired because of his poor performance (only unlikely because of the buyout), that Steele wasn't very happy (highly believable given his championship-level job performance being compromised by the extremely poor performance of the offense that his boss is 100% in control of), and that Steele might be offered the job if Gus was let go (again highly believable for myriad reasons). 

The rumour was part of the Fire Gus mania. IMO  It was started in order to promote a narrative that Gus must be fired or else we will lose Steele.

10 hours ago, gr82be said:

Auburn's defense has ranked in the top 20 nationally in scoring defense since Steele arrived in 2016. The unit is one of just five in college football to hold opponents to 20 points or less per game on average since Steele became defensive coordinator.

And we have lost 18 games in the last 4 seasons. 😞

Why on Earth could Steele possibly be dissatisfied? What an asinine suggestion. /s

I'm ecstatic that we did whatever begging was necessary to keep him. 

17 minutes ago, shabby said:

The rumour was part of the Fire Gus mania. IMO  It was started in order to promote a narrative that Gus must be fired or else we will lose Steele.

I don't think so.  I think it was a trial balloon to gauge the interest in the fanbase.  Gus was about to get fired and at least some of the TPTB were interested in a fiscally responsible replacement given what Gus' buyout would've been.  Gus, of course, goes on to beat UA guaranteeing himself another 2 years and then gets decimated by what should've been an inferior opponent.  

11 hours ago, gr82be said:

Auburn's defense has ranked in the top 20 nationally in scoring defense since Steele arrived in 2016. The unit is one of just five in college football to hold opponents to 20 points or less per game on average since Steele became defensive coordinator.

And we have lost 18 games in the last 4 seasons. 😞

I guess it has happened but I've yet to see a good coach leave voluntarily because his team lost "too many games".    I expect that mature coaches like Steele are more concerned about how their "unit" can do better and contribute more wins.... rather than looking for other parts of the team to blame for the losses.  

And keep in mind that most coaches who voluntarily leave a school for a promotion end up going to a school that has had problems winning.    Presumably that is the challenge....but also why the opportunity exists.

Maybe it's just a coincidence but seems now that CGM and CKSs contracts are "paired" up for the next four years. 

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

I guess it has happened but I've yet to see a good coach leave voluntarily because his team lost "too many games".    I expect that mature coaches like Steele are more concerned about how their "unit" can do better and contribute more wins.... rather than looking for other parts of the team to blame for the losses.  

Pretending for a moment that this isn't just more agenda driven nonsense, I assure you that Steele's primary thoughts after the LSU game weren't about how his unit could have performed better. 

Your commitment to the contrarian perspective stops being admirable when it becomes insulting to people who have been doing a damned good job for the program and who would have a lot more notches in their belts if not for the consistently poor performance of their boss whom you so doggedly defend.

And keep in mind that most coaches who voluntarily leave a school for a promotion end up going to a school that has had problems winning.    Presumably that is the challenge....but also why the opportunity exists.

You're reaching to the point of absurdity. Why do you post things like this? 

Has saban been hiring new coaches every year because he's been losing? Is Orgeron looking for new coaches because of how poorly 2019 went for LSU? Mack Brown in 2005? You think uga's new OC is worried about his ability to win there? Good programs send their guys on to better jobs or shed their few weak links almost as much as bad programs jettison poor performers. 

Even more importantly, though, a guy in Steele's position would eagerly go somewhere where he thinks he has a chance to win rather than stay somewhere where he knows that he won't no matter how good he is at his job, as is his situation here. Just like Auburn would do well to hire a coach who has a chance to get to the playoffs rather than stay locked in a guaranteed cycle of losing 4 or more games and missing the playoffs every year.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

It was mentioned several times in the thread devoted to him

16 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

ADG doing work. 

That could be it, or hear me out, maybe KS never said he wouldn’t coach with Gus anymore 🤷🏼‍♂️

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

There was 100% a rumor that he no longer has any interest in coaching under Gus and would possibly walk if Gus was retained.

7 minutes ago, rophle said:

It was mentioned several times in the thread devoted to him

A couple of you keep saying this, but I haven't seen these quotes. 

5 minutes ago, rophle said:

That could be it, or hear me out, maybe KS never said he wouldn’t coach with Gus anymore 🤷🏼‍♂️

Tenacious. Like a chihuahua. 

Just now, Barnacle said:

There was 100% a rumor that he no longer has any interest in coaching under Gus and would possibly walk if Gus was retained.

Oh, I totally believe that and he probably thought that at some point. I even think it's likely that he felt that way right after the LSU game.

But that's way, way different than:

Kevin wouldn’t coach for Malzahn anymore. That’s why he was gonna be the head coach. 

I find this absurd and don't recall anyone suggesting that Malzahn was going to be fired so that Steele could be retained and promoted.

31 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I expect that mature coaches like Steele are more concerned about how their "unit" can do better and contribute more wins.... rather than looking for other parts of the team to blame for the losses.  

Not sure how much more Steele could get his defense to do to contribute to more wins. He's is elite status now with only five schools getting the results he has gotten. Nope, it's up to Gus to figure the rest out. Maybe Chad can help but it really is all on Gus at this point. 

51 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I don't think so.  I think it was a trial balloon to gauge the interest in the fanbase.  Gus was about to get fired and at least some of the TPTB were interested in a fiscally responsible replacement given what Gus' buyout would've been.  Gus, of course, goes on to beat UA guaranteeing himself another 2 years and then gets decimated by what should've been an inferior opponent.  

well the defense got shredded by Minnesota (494 yards I believe)

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Oh, I totally believe that and he probably thought that at some point. I even think it's likely that he felt that way right after the LSU game.

I find this absurd and don't recall anyone suggesting that Malzahn was going to be fired so that Steele could be retained and promoted.

It sounds crazy but I kind of remember that being suggested too, but by whom I don't remember. I could be wrong though. Could have been someone twisting words.

Just now, Barnacle said:

It sounds crazy but I kind of remember that being suggested too, but by whom I don't remember. I could be wrong though. Could have been someone twisting words.

Gotcha. Maybe it was said. Can't imagine it was pushed to the point that it's worth bringing up now any more than it's worth responding to a months-old A4E post, but I should be used to that by now. Lord knows I waste plenty of time- mine and everyone else's- responding to a couple crazies on here. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Gotcha. Maybe it was said. Can't imagine it was pushed to the point that it's worth bringing up now any more than it's worth responding to a months-old A4E post, but I should be used to that by now. Lord knows I waste plenty of time- mine and everyone else's- responding to a couple crazies on here. 

Yeah there seems to be an agenda behind the other poster bringing it up. Some people just hate it when folks with inside knowledge choose to share with the board, and the 1 or 2 times out of ten they’re wrong, these posters feel the need to remind everyone.

Just now, Barnacle said:

Yeah there seems to be an agenda behind the other poster bringing it up. Some people just hate it when folks with inside knowledge choose to share with the board, and the 1 or 2 times out of ten are wrong, they feel the need remind everyone.

It's a very particular brand of player hatred. It seems to have gown more intense the longer the program has more or less maintained the current win percentage. I get it. It's not right, but I get it. 

5 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

You remember correctly because the same somebody that made that statement on here took it to tRant and posted the exact same words.  He basically said he heard from someone in the AD that Steele told Greene that if Gus was retained then he'd be gone.

I distinctly remember going to private messages with AUFriction & possibly AU64 about the subject because there was no way I could believe Steele would tell anyone in the AD and make an ultimatum statement like that.  That's just not how Kevin Steele operates, he'd never stab his boss in the back like that or participate in insubordination.

29 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Selective memory exhibits itself.

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It's a very particular brand of player hatred. It seems to have gown more intense the longer the program has more or less maintained the current win percentage. I get it. It's not right, but I get it. 

I'm not sure I follow you. What's the link between mistrust and/or resentment of "insiders" and hatred of players?

25 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

well the defense got shredded by Minnesota (494 yards I believe)

It was a team loss but Gus is the one responsible for having his team motivated which they did not appear to be.

51 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You're reaching to the point of absurdity. Why do you post things like this? 

Has saban been hiring new coaches every year because he's been losing? Is Orgeron looking for new coaches because of how poorly 2019 went for LSU? Mack Brown in 2005? You think uga's new OC is worried about his ability to win there? Good programs send their guys on to better jobs or shed their few weak links almost as much as bad programs jettison poor performers. 

Even more importantly, though, a guy in Steele's position would eagerly go somewhere where he thinks he has a chance to win rather than stay somewhere where he knows that he won't no matter how good he is at his job, as is his situation here. Just like Auburn would do well to hire a coach who has a chance to get to the playoffs rather than stay locked in a guaranteed cycle of losing 4 or more losses and missing the playoffs every year.

Do you just read what you wanna read? And ignore what's actually said?

AU64 said "And keep in mind that most coaches who voluntarily leave a school for a promotion end up going to a school that has had problems winning."

What AU64 said was factual, so instead of addressing it, you make up some weak strawman in your head, QUOTE AU64, then immediately attack the bogus strawman argument but address it to 64.... This could actually make for a good netflix special.

KS is a DC, a promotion means HC... so bringing up Saban and Orgeron hiring position coaches or Coord. doesn't apply. And since teams don't typically fire head coaches for being too successful, then it logically follows that Kevin Steele taking a promotion to HC would be to a school that has at least recently suffered some woes.

Kevin Steele set to be highest paid assistant coach in country

• by Brandon Marcello

AUBURN, Alabama — Auburn defensive coordinator Kevin Steele's new three-year contract includes a big bump in salary.

Steele will be paid $2.5 million annually, according to ESPN's Chris Low, who cites anonymous sources in his report. Steele's new deal was announced Wednesday, but Auburn would not confirm the details of the contract. He was previously earning $1.9 million per year, making him the fourth-highest paid assistant coach in the country.

It's believed Steele's $2.5 million salary will lead the country among assistant coaches in college football. LSU defensive coordinator Dave Aranda previously led the country with the same salary in 2019, but has since accepted the head coaching gig at Baylor.

“Kevin has done a fantastic job with our defense the last four years making it one of the best in the country,” Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said in a news release Wednesday. “This will provide great stability and leadership for our defense in the future. I’m appreciative of Kevin’s hard work.”

Steele's deal expires after the 2022 season.

Auburn’s defense has ranked in the top 20 nationally in scoring defense in each of Steele's four seasons as the Tigers' coordinator. Auburn is one of only five FBS programs to hold opponents under 20 points per game in each of the last four seasons.

Archived