New deal for Kevin Steele through 2022

Maverick.AU

4 minutes ago, keesler said:

Gus "pledged" $2MM of his personal $$ to the FOF as did the rest of the donors/boosters.  That doesn't mean they scratched out checks for $70 million for a project that has been running +2 yrs in the planning stages.  People make pledges and they pay up when they see the projects commence.

The fact that there was not a definite design in place makes the price tag questionable. For a average guy like me I'd be concerned that my $70 mil won't do what I thought it could 2 years ago. Maybe rich folks think differently but to continue putting it off just costs money. What do I know, I don't have any money. 

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, keesler said:

Gus "pledged" $2MM of his personal $$ to the FOF as did the rest of the donors/boosters.  That doesn't mean they scratched out checks for $70 million for a project that has been running +2 yrs in the planning stages.  People make pledges and they pay up when they see the projects commence.  Maybe I am misunderstanding what you mean, but Gus has already started donating that money.  So the money is in Auburn's hands.  If my memory serves me right in what he and his family did, it was in installments that began in 2018.

My question to WDE was that He made comments over a year or 2 ago that Greene had raised +$70MM for the FOF and that the PTB felt like they didn't want to reward a mediocre HC with new facilities.  He also made comments that AU wouldn't spend $$ while Jacobs was the AD because the $$ people didn't trust him.  You are correct, that was stated.

Since those comments were made, Jacobs is gone - a 3rd of the $$ has been pledged and not a damn brick has been placed.  I want to know what kind of time line is on this project AND the JHS renovation project because Auburn is woefully behind the many SEC programs.  Auburn is in the process of installing the LED lighting for the upgrade.  I am not aware of anything else happening at the moment with the stadium.  For the football facility, they are still trying to decide where to put it.  The most likely landing spot is the old track near the old ACT.  You can't draw up plans until you had a spot.

3 hours ago, gr82be said:

Not sure how much more Steele could get his defense to do to contribute to more wins. He's is elite status now with only five schools getting the results he has gotten. Nope, it's up to Gus to figure the rest out. Maybe Chad can help but it really is all on Gus at this point. 

I don't disagree that we've had good to very good defenses but I'm not sure  how you can say only 5 schools are getting the results he has gotten.

We're consistently in the Top 20 in the nation and Top 6 in the SEC in Scoring Defense, so there are quite a few teams getting similar or better results than we are.  

12 minutes ago, gr82be said:

The fact that there was not a definite design in place makes the price tag questionable. For a average guy like me I'd be concerned that my $70 mil won't do what I thought it could 2 years ago. Maybe rich folks think differently but to continue putting it off just costs money. What do I know, I don't have any money. 

So there are tax benefits when you donate money, no matter the denomination.  In the Malzahn Family's case, that could really help you lower your bracket for any given year.  In their case in how it was stair-stepped, the increments went up, anticipating Gus' salary increases of how his contract is laid out.  That is not to diminish him donating to Auburn, because he could have donated his money anywhere and chose Auburn.  It is good when he did it because donations to the athletic programs are no longer write-offs.  IRS changed this mainly because season ticket holders were writing off the donations needed for the tickets.

I'm not as familiar with how Auburn works (because they won't reward me with any design work), but often large donations/pledges come with contractual stipulations that they be spent for X project, by X date.  Design schedules, construction start and end dates are critical components of these agreements.  I witnessed one such agreement while doing some design work down at the Ringling Museum of Art in Sarasota.  A lady had donated a very large sum of money for a particular project.  She had a falling out with new administration early on and tried to take her money back, but was found to be contractually obligated to pay for the project.  As design and construction commenced, the facilities manager had to be VERY careful that all agreed upon dates were achieved or she would have grounds to recuperate her $$$. 

Just now, dyehardfanAU said:

I don't disagree that we've had good to very good defenses but I'm not sure  how you can say only 5 schools are getting the results he has gotten.

We're consistently in the Top 20 in the nation and Top 6 in the SEC in Scoring Defense, so there are quite a few teams getting similar or better results than we are.  

I think we are 1 of only 5 schools in the country thats given up X number of points/game over Steele's stint as DC. There is a stat that shows that we are in elite company with Steele leading the D. Someone else with the stat handy can fill in the blanks for me 

13 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

That number came from the article that was linked. It wasn't opinion. 

20 minutes ago, gr82be said:

That number came from the article that was linked. It wasn't opinion. 

My numbers are linked here:  cfbstats.com

Those are not opinions either.  Again, I think Steele has done a very good job but we've yet to field an elite defense under him. 

edit:  Just saw where AU is gonna pay him $2.5M/season guaranteed....wow.

54 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Alrighty then.  You obviously know more about it than I do.  We've all seen the plans for JHS renovation multiple times in the last decade and now the entire project has apparently been shelved?

Apparently to some, it's fine to drag things out for years and years while our main rivals and many programs not as prestigious complete their improvements and some are on a 2nd round of upgrades while Auburn chooses to sit on their hands.

I simply asked WDE how far the projects have evolved - he's made numerous statements for years on why the PTB haven't done a damn thing.  The staff and circumstances have changed as well as the BOT and still Auburn sits still and shows zero urgency to do anything.

12 minutes ago, keesler said:

Alrighty then.  You obviously know more about it than I do.  We've all seen the plans for JHS renovation multiple times in the last decade and now the entire project has apparently been shelved?  My apologies if I came across wrong.  I only know about the gifting portion because it is part of what I do for a living and some of my clients are the major boosters you guys talk about.  The project is not shelved either.  It is just the first step, but still a major step in progress.  ;D

Apparently to some, it's fine to drag things out for years and years while our main rivals and many programs not as prestigious complete their improvements and some are on a 2nd round of upgrades while Auburn chooses to sit on their hands.  I hope I do not come off as complacent, but I like how our stadium currently looks.  The only thing I would like is to brick the three other corners of the stadium.  That and the LED's are going to look really cool.

I simply asked WDE how far the projects have evolved - he's made numerous statements for years on why the PTB haven't done a damn thing.  The staff and circumstances have changed as well as the BOT and still Auburn sits still and shows zero urgency to do anything.  It isn't that there is not urgency.  These things take a long time to plan.  And as a public school, you have to also prove the funds are being used in a proper manor (fiduciary responsibilities).  

I will give you an example of why not to rush this.  Are you familiar with The Village dorms at Auburn?  Auburn rushed those into completion with the promise from the builder they would last 50 years like the Quad and the Hill.  One year in we did a foundation check and found cracks everywhere.  The Village will be lucky to now make it to 15 years.  So it is better to go my my mantra, "Let's do this once and do it right."

Just now, abw0004 said:

I don't doubt things are in the works, I just know it took entirely too long to get things in the work.  The last upgrade to JHS was adding a double-wide trailer looking building for no particular reason, if I remember correctly.

16 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I don't doubt things are in the works, I just know it took entirely too long to get things in the work.  The last upgrade to JHS was adding a double-wide trailer looking building for no particular reason, if I remember correctly.

Are you referring to the locker room and recruiting building?  That was the most recent.  It looks nice as the bricked that corner up.  I hope the would do that for the other three.

5 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Are you referring to the locker room and recruiting building?  That was the most recent.  It looks nice as the bricked that corner up.  I hope the would do that for the other three.

No.  I'll try to find a picture of what I'm talking about. 

34 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

You didn't come across wrong in any way and I don't intend to come across belligerent to you of all people.  I addressed my questions to WDE and he isn't in residence on the board right now.

Why does it take Auburn a "long time to plan" when other programs jump on these things and complete them in record time?  MSU/Kentucky/LSU/UA/UF/USC/Arkansas, even Tennessee as horrible as they've been seem to be able to roll with the flow and get things done.  Those programs are blowing and going and Auburn is left behind.

As an example, this FOF has been in the plan since Greene came on board and you're telling us they still don't know where to put it?  You may like JHS as is, but I do not.  Apparently the PTB and the Admin don't like the way it has looked for over a decade as they were planning an upgrade that never got off the ground when Jay Jacobs was at the drawing board and mailing me (and many alumni) letters wanting my opinion on the asthetics only for him to announce that if the fan based wanted an upgrade/renovation of JHS they'd have to open their wallets and pay for it.  Nothing was ever done and apparently the whole thing was shelved because they installed a monstrosity in the AubieTron and never addressed the exterior facade.

Alabama is a public school sharing the same State as Auburn they have no problem proving that their funds are being used in a proper manner (fiduciary responsibilities) - why would Auburn's building plans be any different or treated differently than their's?  Hell, they've been under construction on their $99MM stadium upgrade since the last home game in '19.  And with the way their stadium stacks up I don't even think anyone gives a crap about fiduciary responsibilities because they don't need to upgrade from the palatial stadium they already had.

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

You didn't come across wrong in any way and I don't intend to come across belligerent to you of all people.  I addressed my questions to WDE and he isn't in residence on the board right now.

Why does it take Auburn a "long time to plan" when other programs jump on these things and complete them in record time?  MSU/Kentucky/LSU/UA/UF/USC/Arkansas, even Tennessee as horrible as they've been seem to be able to roll with the flow and get things done.  Those programs are blowing and going and Auburn is left behind.

As an example, this FOF has been in the plan since Greene came on board and you're telling us they still don't know where to put it?  You may like JHS as is, but I do not.  Apparently the PTB and the Admin don't like the way it has looked for over a decade as they were planning an upgrade that never got off the ground when Jay Jacobs was at the drawing board and mailing me (and many alumni) letters wanting my opinion on the asthetics only for him to announce that if the fan based wanted an upgrade/renovation of JHS they'd have to open their wallets and pay for it.  Nothing was ever done and apparently the whole thing was shelved because they installed a monstrosity in the AubieTron and never addressed the exterior facade.

Alabama has had zero problem proving to the State that their funds are being used in a proper manner (fiduciary responsibilities) - why would Auburn's building plans be any different or treated differently than their's?  Hell, they've been under construction on their $99MM stadium upgrade since the last home game in '19.  And with the way their stadium stacks up I don't even think anyone gives a crap about fiduciary responsibilities because they don't need to upgrade from the palatial stadium they already had.

The entire Jacobs tenure was a setback for AU.  Hiring Radakovich from LSU was the right move to make but Auburn.

I derailed this thread - my apologies folks.

Back to the OP - Pay Steele whatever he wants he's shouldering a heavy load and keeping Auburn somewhat relevant in the face of offensive inconsistency. 

5 minutes ago, keesler said:

Back to the OP - Pay Steele whatever he wants he's shouldering a heavy load and keeping Auburn somewhat relevant in the face of offensive inconsistency. 

Agreed. We will see just how good he is in 2020, since we are losing 2 very talented DT’s and others. We do still need a true pass rusher. It’s been a few years since we have had that. 

2 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

Agreed. We will see just how good he is in 2020, since we are losing 2 very talented DT’s and others. We do still need a true pass rusher. It’s been a few years since we have had that. 

You're going to upset some people by saying we haven't been meeting our needs in DL recruiting.  At least I have.

8 minutes ago, keesler said:

No apology necessary IMO. Agreed on the second part. 

11 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

How good he is? He's already proven that at AU.

And NO team is consistently going to have or should have a top 5 defense w as good as the offenses have gotten(well, except ours ofc :). 

If the D goes down a little in the stats this year b/c we lost so many veterans in the DB and the DL, doesn't mean he still isn't one of the best around. 

And someone on here also  was right, His D's are the part that has kept Gus' teams from being even worse, with the offenses that have been sputtering under him most of the last 4-5 years.

51 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

You're going to upset some people by saying we haven't been meeting our needs in DL recruiting.  At least I have.

I think most people would agree not having a Corey Lemonier, a Dee Ford, a Carl Lawson or a Jeff Holland is what is holding back this defense the past 2 years from truly being elite and taking that next step. Romello Height is a big step in the right direction. WE NEED MORE players in this mold to bring in to the fold. Flipping him from Miami was a huge coup. He is absolutely the kind of player we need to rush the passer. TD Moultry has been one of the most disappointing players the past few years on defense because I think we all thought he would be a absolute stud....... instead the only thing I can remember he has done in his years at AU so far is have maddening offside penalties all the time. HIM AND BIG KAT!!!! ughhhhhhhhh.

5 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I believe @WarDamnEagleWDE or @passthebiscuits said it.  It was one of them who said that.  I am sure they could explain it better than any of us could anyways.  Thanks in advance guys if you can clarify!

Steele has/had no intention of being head coach, and the last convo I had with him (around LSU week during the season), he was strongly considering retiring at year end. (Wanted to retire to the Beach he told me...grandkids?)

As WDE mentioned, they threw the $$ contract at him. He deserves it.

45 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I think most people would agree not having a Corey Lemonier, a Dee Ford, a Carl Lawson or a Jeff Holland is what is holding back this defense the past 2 years from truly being elite and taking that next step. Romello Height is a big step in the right direction. WE NEED MORE players in this mold to bring in to the fold. Flipping him from Miami was a huge coup. He is absolutely the kind of player we need to rush the passer. TD Moultry has been one of the most disappointing players the past few years on defense because I think we all thought he would be a absolute stud....... instead the only thing I can remember he has done in his years at AU so far is have maddening offside penalties all the time. HIM AND BIG KAT!!!! ughhhhhhhhh.

It's been a huge factor between us having very good defenses and elite defenses.

1 hour ago, passthebiscuits said:

Steele has/had no intention of being head coach, and the last convo I had with him (around LSU week during the season), he was strongly considering retiring at year end. (Wanted to retire to the Beach he told me...grandkids?)

As WDE mentioned, they threw the $$ contract at him. He deserves it.

Well that can't be, we all know it was just some fantasy made up by the Gus haters. 

Also, I'm gonna need a link to that conversation before I even begin to think about believing it.

:poke:

12 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Well that can't be, we all know it was just some fantasy made up by the Gus haters. 

Also, I'm gonna need a link to that conversation before I even begin to think about believing it.

:poke:

Damn Gus haters

Archived