Cambridge shooting free throws

doverstutts

Why hasn't somebody worked with Cambridge,starting at about the 7th grade, on his FT shooting mechanics?  His form is horrible. I am sure the staff will try to correct it in the offseason, but if his minutes increase, he is going to go to the line a good bit this season, and he can win some games for us if he can hit them. I was thrilled with his game last night and hopefully he will gain confidence from it. The guy has some serious raw ability and if you don't think he can hop, just look at where his head was on the put back dunk!

It was really the first game I’ve seen him play loose and not nervous looking! Hopefully it’ll build up his confidence. Free throws will come.

I agree his mechanic's on FT shooting leave something to be desired but I remember a pro basketball player Shawn Marion who had one of the ugliest shots I have ever seen both from the floor and the FT line but who was very accurate. I have played basketball for over 50 years I was never a great player but until I got old I was very athletic who played great D and rebounded well with an ugly shot that went in.   I am not comparing myself to Cambridge because he and any player who plays college ball at any level is much better than me.  My point is that not everybody who shoots well has the picture perfect stroke on shots from the field or from the FT line. 

Cambridge has a nice stroke from the field I think as he plays more and gets more comfortable he will relax at the line and his FT mechanics will improve. Not counting Mac who I count as a starter we have now at different times in the year gotten very solid contributions off the bench in at least one game from Flanagan, Cambridge, and Johnson as they become more familiar with the system and relax a little more I expect their contributions on a more regular basis. Flanagan and Cambridge both have the length, quickness and athletic ability to be good defenders, rebounders, and scorers. Johnson just has a very pretty stroke.  The next step for Flanagan and Cambridge besides just becoming more comfortable with the system and playing with confidence is adding assists to their game making the extra pass to find a more open player.

14 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I agree his mechanic's on FT shooting leave something to be desired but I remember a pro basketball player Shawn Marion who had one of the ugliest shots I have ever seen both from the floor and the FT line but who was very accurate. I have played basketball for over 50 years I was never a great player but until I got old I was very athletic who played great D and rebounded well with an ugly shot that went in.   I am not comparing myself to Cambridge because he and any player who plays college ball at any level is much better than me.  My point is that not everybody who shoots well has the picture perfect stroke on shots from the field or from the FT line. 

Cambridge has a nice stroke from the field I think as he plays more and gets more comfortable he will relax at the line and his FT mechanics will improve. Not counting Mac who I count as a starter we have now at different times in the year gotten very solid contributions off the bench in at least one game from Flanagan, Cambridge, and Johnson as they become more familiar with the system and relax a little more I expect their contributions on a more regular basis. Flanagan and Cambridge both have the length, quickness and athletic ability to be good defenders, rebounders, and scorers. Johnson just has a very pretty stroke.  The next step for Flanagan and Cambridge besides just becoming more comfortable with the system and playing with confidence is adding assists to their game making the extra pass to find a more open player.

Bill Cartwright says hello as well.  Devin will be fine.  I really like his athleticism.  He just needs to develop. We will see many more nights like Wednesday in his bright future.

15 hours ago, doverstutts said:

Why hasn't somebody worked with Cambridge,starting at about the 7th grade, on his FT shooting mechanics?

Who's to say they haven't?

It'll take an off-season to get his FT form tighter IMO.  

I'm more worried about if we just saw a lucky night from him. The ones he missed were sooo off (an airball and one that barely hit the backboard I think) and even one he made was so badly off that it happened to go in off the glass. Hopefully I'm just being too cautious with my expectations. But the experience of him going bonkers like that will pay off in the future for him and the squad, whether it be this year or next. But we definitely don't win that SCarolina game without Devan exploding like that.

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

It'll take an off-season to get his FT form tighter IMO.  

I'm more worried about if we just saw a lucky night from him. The ones he missed were sooo off (an airball and one that barely hit the backboard I think) and even one he made was so badly off that it happened to go in off the glass. Hopefully I'm just being too cautious with my expectations. But the experience of him going bonkers like that will pay off in the future for him and the squad, whether it be this year or next. But we definitely don't win that SCarolina game without Devan exploding like that.

Seeing all these freshmen and transfer(Johnson) play, they all have there hot and cold nights. It's expected bc they are learning how to play at the college level, and now the new changes w/ the 3 pt line. 

The key is that if at least one of them contributes offensively, we will be fine. 

As you mentioned, we don't win if Cambridge doesn't light it up and get energy and confidence in the team. I was there, and we looked exactly like we did in our 2 losses, weak offensively in the first 10 minutes, losing confidence, getting frustrated.

Then when Cambridge continued to score and hit all those 3 pointers, you could see the starters and the bench mob him after SC timeouts to stop our momentum. The team suddenly got energy, got confidence and played so much better from then on....

Archived