My man!

bigbird

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Looks like a nicely coached up player to me....

But how can that be? We’ve had so many people on here saying how poor our DB playing and coaching has been. No way JD is actually really good.....

A few things you don't trust the majority of this board on....db play; draft projections, basketball in general, qb play....now there's exceptions to every rule of course but I'm comfortable usually when I'm in the minority of these subjects

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

A few things you don't trust the majority of this board on....db play; draft projections, basketball in general, qb play....now there's exceptions to every rule of course but I'm comfortable usually when I'm in the minority of these subjects

Amen on draft projections. I'm one of the guilty ones on QB play. I don't pretend I know what I'm talking about on the other ones.

35 minutes ago, cole256 said:

A few things you don't trust the majority of this board on....db play

If they could only learn to look back for the ball...

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Lol. I mean it's that easy....And we couldn't find a coach who knew to tell them that! 

I loved how people would just down Thorpe all the time and all he did was go on and have a long successful NFL career

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Lol. I mean it's that easy....And we couldn't find a coach who knew to tell them that! 

I loved how people would just down Thorpe all the time and all he did was go on and have a long successful NFL career

Thorpe was the most hated/disrespected/underappreciated player I can remember

35 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Amen on draft projections. I'm one of the guilty ones on QB play. I don't pretend I know what I'm talking about on the other ones.

Hey we're all wrong but in these subjects....I've been told Lamar Jackson wasn't good enough to play here, Sean White was better, chumma wouldn't be drafted in the NBA, Pearl didn't know what he was doing, this year Taj Boyd couldn't throw a fade route and wasn't close to the talent of Bo Nix.....

It's really not about being wrong but when you're talking about something just admit where you're at. Don't pretend to be way up here when you're really over there.....but anyway that's life in general I guess

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Thorpe was the most hated/disrespected/underappreciated player I can remember

Absolutely. That's why I brought him up....I remember arguing with somebody one time and it literally wasn't him in the play....literally an ENTIRE different person but when they want you to complete a narrative people will say anything

Our DBs have been good/very good the last couple of years. Sure, they get beat but who doesn’t with the quality receivers we play regularly? DT was the one guy I got frustrated with semi-regularly being out of position but he was generally solid. Our scheme and, more importantly, the lack of a consistent edge rusher made people think they were worse than they were. Be interesting to see how things go with new players and a new DB coach this year

16 hours ago, bigbird said:

I'll say this; 35 years ago. you didn't hear terms like 'in sync,' 'out of sync,' 'blind strafing,' etc. What you heard most of the time, and last time I checked, you can still only guard one man at a time, was "get your gd head around and find the ball!'  or, 'don't let him get behind you!' 

Terminology changes, techniques change, but the object is still don't let the sob catch the ball. 

Although teams weren't throwing it around as much back then, I'd say the success rate was at least as good as I see it now.

2 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

I'll say this; 35 years ago. you didn't hear terms like 'in sync,' 'out of sync,' 'blind strafing,' etc. What you heard most of the time, and last time I checked, you can still only guard one man at a time, was "get your gd head around and find the ball!'  or, 'don't let him get behind you!' 

Terminology changes, techniques change, but the object is still don't let the sob catch the ball. 

Although teams weren't throwing it around as much back then, I'd say the success rate was at least as good as I see it now.

The complexity of coverages and schemes has become exponentially more complicated and multiple. Certain schemes and techniques better allow for DBs turning to play the ball in the air. Unfortunately, Steele's preference and tendencies don't align with that philosophy most of the time.

20 hours ago, fredst said:

But how can that be? We’ve had so many people on here saying how poor our DB playing and coaching has been. No way JD is actually really good.....

I don't frequent this board enough to know what people were saying during the season, but I thought our DB's were spectacular. Especially when you consider the era of football we're in. If these guys were playing back in 2010 when SEC passing offenses weren't half what they are now they'd probably shut out every passing scheme.

20 hours ago, bigbird said:

I wish people understood that while looking for the ball can be nice, the DB sort of has to watch the receiver as well. I always hate hearing this complaint from people. We play more man than zone, that's all there is to it.

I'm glad that Gus went with two DB coaches when they allowed an extra assistant coach. Underrated decision there, everybody thought he'd use it for an offensive coach, and given the way offense has been struggling for a while who'd blame him for it really. Say what you want about Gus, but him giving the defense the resources to succeed is a very underrated aspect of him.

6 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

Jake. My bad. 

A lot of folks will bristle, because Jake... wasn't as productive as Neiko on the field. But Neiko might not have suffered criticism at the same volume that Jake did. Interesting discussion.

52 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

A lot of folks will bristle, because Jake... wasn't as productive as Neiko on the field. But Neiko might not have suffered criticism at the same volume that Jake did. Interesting discussion.

Deserved vs undeserved

Archived