(Updated): Al Pogue - new DB coach

auburn4ever

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Anybody heard rumors of bringing back Brown?

1 hour ago, CameronCrazy said:

That would be the absolute worst 

Goober says hey!

14 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

Goober says hey!

Why would anyone want Greg Brown back? Everyone was happy when he left, he could not recruit at a high level, and our DB play clearly got better when he left. What am I missing? 

We need new blood and new energy - we do not need to keep going through the same re-treads. There’s a reason he doesn’t stay at one school for more than a year or two. Didn’t we learn anything from the J.B. Grimes debacle?

4 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

No...you know better rumors than we do. However, there sure seems to be a lot of smoke where Tommy Thigpen is concerned...😁🤣🤣🤣🤣🦅🦅🦅

22 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

No...you know better rumors than we do. However, there sure seems to be a lot of smoke where Tommy Thigpen is concerned...😁🤣🤣🤣🤣🦅🦅🦅

Yes, particularly from one certain poster....

03427c45bf6e10f9dbcac9f94e1f1c29.gif

1 hour ago, CameronCrazy said:

Why would anyone want Greg Brown back? Everyone was happy when he left, he could not recruit at a high level, and our DB play clearly got better when he left. What am I missing? 

We need new blood and new energy - we do not need to keep going through the same re-treads. There’s a reason he doesn’t stay at one school for more than a year or two. Didn’t we learn anything from the J.B. Grimes debacle?

I was just making a play on his nickname assigned to him by gmac.  

11 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Not from anyone reputable, unless you're hearing it.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Not from anyone reputable, unless you're hearing it.

Hearing it but not sure if credible. His daughter was still living here—she’s a big time dancer—so not sure if they’d like everyone in one place.

5 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Hearing it but not sure if credible. His daughter was still living here—she’s a big time dancer—so not sure if they’d like everyone in one place.

What I have seen is Gus & Steele are supposedly going for a big hire & are in no rush since the CB recruiting class is mostly done & McGriff is here working with DBs now.

On 2/1/2020 at 4:31 PM, AUsince72 said:

Yes, particularly from one certain poster....

03427c45bf6e10f9dbcac9f94e1f1c29.gif

i hope that is not pot smoke he is wasting........lol

It's sad that nobody on here can or will give me a straight answer to any of my questions. If you don't know, then just say so.

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

Like you, I do have the right to post names of coaches that I feel would be a good replacement for Marcus Woodson.

You have just as much right to say stupid, ridiculous things as any body else:dunno:🙄

Dear sweet 4 pound 6 oz baby jesus in your swaddling clothes playing drums for AC/DC dont let us rehire Greg Brown. 

We dont HAVE to replace Woodson with a coach for the same position. 

I'd rather let Crime Dog handle both and either get a special teams coach or maybe a DE coach. CRG is elite with DTs but the last couple seasons has struggled to find a pass rush. This is in no way a knock on CRG. I just wonder if a DE coach wouldn't help out there. Crime Dog, a former DC can absolutely handle the DBs himself.

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

According to some posters on the Bunker and now Jay Tate, it's looking like Al Pogue will be announced soon.

Sounds pretty good. He was a good DB coach and recruiting coordinator(I think) at Troy. He was making about $225,000 at WV where he was OLB coach last year. He probably wants to get back closer to home and maybe he doesn't like the snow up there. :)

I would think he would garner a raise coming back to AU, somewhere near what Crime Dog makes(325,000). 

I think Woodson was the recruiting coordinator, so interesting to see who takes that on now....

• TitanTiger changed the title to (Updated): Al Pogue - new DB coach

Tigers hire Alabama native Al Pogue 

ByAUBURN UNDERCOVER 15 minutes ago 

Share4 Comments

Al Pogue. (Photo: 247Sports)

Al Pogue is headed back to his home state.

Auburn Undercover can confirm the Mobile native will join the Auburn Tigers football staff to fill the vacancy that opened when secondary coach Marcus Woodson left for Florida State last month.

Pogue has strong Auburn connections.

In his previous stop before going with head coach Neal Brown to West Virginia, Pogue was part of a very successful run under Brown at Troy.

According to his West Virginia bio, "From 2016-18, Troy’s defense allowed 20.8 points per game, ranking No. 4 nationally among non-power 5 schools. From 2015-18, the Trojans were No. 2 nationally among FBS schools in takeaways (106) and tied for No. 7 nationally with 63 interceptions. One of Pogue’s defensive backs, Blace Brown registered 12 interceptions over the last three years, tying for No. 3 nationally for active career interceptions.

In 2018, Troy’s defense gave up 22.0 points per game, ranking No. 28 nationally and 347.9 yards per game, ranking No. 31 in the nation. The Trojan defense was No. 3 nationally in turnovers gained (31), No. 5 in interceptions (18) and fumbles recovered (13), No. 11 in turnover margin (0.77), No. 16 in tackles for loss (7.6), No. 21 in red zone defense and tied for No. 28 in first-down defense (240).

Troy also led the Sun Belt Conference in sacks, interceptions, turnovers, red zone defense and was No. 2 in rushing defense, total defense and No. 3 in scoring defense.

The Trojans led the nation in red zone defense in 2017 as the Trojans set a school record for wins, won the Sun Belt Championship and ended LSU’s 49-game non-conference home winning streak. Troy was No. 3 in tackles for loss (8.6), No. 7 in sacks (3.23) and rushing defense (105.7). The Trojans were No. 15 nationally in interceptions (17), No. 16 in turnovers gained (26) and No. 26 in turnover margin (0.54).

The 2016 Trojans posted a 10-3 record and earned a victory in the Dollar General Bowl, the first top-25 ranking in school and conference history and tied for the best win-improvement in the country.

Troy finished No. 2 nationally in passes intercepted, No. 4 in turnovers forced, No. 9 in passes defended per game (5.9), No. 17 in rushing defense, No. 21 in scoring defense (22.1) and No. 28 in third-down defense.

The 2015 defense finished with the No. 2-best turnaround nationally in opponent third-down percentage, No. 4-best turnaround in yards per play allowed, No. 5-best improvement in tackles for loss and No. 16-best improvement in total defense.

Troy scored five defensive touchdowns, third-most in the country and most by a Trojan team since 2004 and finished No. 5 in the nation with 13 fumble recoveries. Troy forced 16 turnovers over the final six games of the season after registering just three in the first six games.

In 2014, the Trojans finished with 11 interceptions, most by a Troy team since 2010 and improved its pass defense by 105.7 yards per game from the previous season."

4COMMENTS

Pogue graduated with a degree in special education from Alabama State in 1998. He was a three-year starter as a safety and cornerback and was All-America and All-SWAC at free safety.

13 minutes ago, Tiger1992 said:

I'm really not that familiar with Pogue.

Is this hire thumbs up or thumbs down?

I will take it and give it a thumbs up. It isn't a splash but its a good hire.

Archived