(Updated): Al Pogue - new DB coach

auburn4ever

Grew up in Mobile, played college ball in the Gump, played semi-pro in the Magic City, has spent most of his post-playing career in AU and Troy... dude is Alabama through and through. Gotta hope that's a good thing for us.

44... still plenty young. But not a baby in the business. 

Could have done a lot worse. 

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I will take it and give it a thumbs up. It isn't a splash but its a good hire.

I think it is a big splash in state, especially in the Mobile area. 

Al Pogue a 'splash hire' for Tigers

ByKEITH NIEBUHR 

What kind of coach and recruiter is Auburn getting in Al Pogue, who is joining the program as an assistant after one season at West Virginia?

"I think it's a splash hire," said Lev Holly, coach at Blount High in Eight Mile, Alabama. "No. 1, he has ties to the state. No. 2, how he treats people. And then, not only that, he's a heck of a coach."

Pogue, a Mobile native, will join the Auburn staff to fill the vacancy that opened when secondary coach Marcus Woodson left for Florida State last month. He worked with Auburn from 2011-13, later coached at Troy, was once an ultra-successful high school head coach in Montgomery and played at Alabama State.

"Great hire," Holly said. "I think he's going to do really good in the state. He covers the basics really good and has a good rapport with kids. He's a guy who paid his dues. He was an analyst there, went to Troy and did really good. Went to West Virginia and did well. He has a lot of respect from high school coaches around the state of Alabama."

Pogue was head coach at Montgomery (Ala.) Carver High from 2008-10, Montgomery St. Jude High from 2006-07 and Calhoun High in 2002. Carver went undefeated in 2008.

Defensive coordinator Kevin Steele was Auburn's area recruiter in the Mobile region the last recruiting cycle. It seems possible, perhaps even likely, given Pogue's ties to that region he could slide into the role. It's key recruiting area for the Tigers.

'(Pogue) has a lot of respect down here," Holly said. "I think he'll do really good."

Holly's school is one of the most important in Alabama for Auburn on there recruiting trail. Five-star Blount defensive tackle Lee Hunter committed to Auburn in December. Just last weekend, the Tigers offered Blount junior corner Kameron Grays, who immediately named Auburn his leader.COMMENTS

As for the recruits at Blount?

"I think it'll make a difference," Holly noted of Auburn having Pogue on board.

I love high energy coaches we have on defensive side. I could see some exciting competition in practice with LBs and DBs

3 hours ago, WarEagle2423 said:

Between Al & TWill, it appears that we are going to have a ton of energy on the D side of the field.  (Assuming he coaches DBs)

1 minute ago, The Plainsman said:

I’d consider it a safe hire.  Not bad by any means,  but not sure it is an upgrade like our OC and OL hires were recently.   

You do not think Chad Morris was a upgrade from Dilly? Curious to hear your reasoning on that.

25 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

You do not think Chad Morris was a upgrade from Dilly? Curious to hear your reasoning on that.

I think he’s saying OC and OL hires are upgrades, while Pogue isn’t an upgrade to Woodson.

7 minutes ago, Jgarrett7 said:

I think he’s saying OC and OL hires are upgrades, while Pogue isn’t an upgrade to Woodson.

Huh. Well how about that!! I read it back and man it was pretty clear and easy to understand!!! IDK how I missed that one. Muhhhhhh bad!!!  #takingtheL

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Huh. Well how about that!! I read it back and man it was pretty clear and easy to understand!!! IDK how I missed that one. Muhhhhhh bad!!!  #takingtheL

This is not the forum for that.  Please go back and double down on your original misconception.

yGkDMkx.gif

5 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Well you did get me to reread my post again,  a couple more times.   Made me feel some where in between a big bird and golf.  A confident no nothing.  😎

6 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

I’d consider it a safe hire.  Not bad by any means,  but not sure it is an upgrade like our OC and OL hires were recently.   

It could be a recruiting upgrade, developing who knows 

3 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Should go a LONG way in increasing what was our early lead in the state for the 21 class. Theres some really good prospects

IF Pogue can help the cause in bringing in Kool Aide to sign with us with our Bball coaches I vow and PROMISE to stop talking ish about  you in me @Maverick.AU, @McLoofus and @Tiger group chat we have!!!! lmao. 

rewrew.gif

3 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

It could be a recruiting upgrade, developing who knows 

Luckily we have a coach on staff already who can easily coach the DBs himself if that turns out Pogue is a better recruiter than coach. 

Crimedog can handle it himself if thats the case.

I do know that I have viewed a few West Virginia boards and the fans seem to be upset over his leaving, and I am finding multiple posts specifically hoping they can replace his recruiting abilities. 

I'm normally one to defend Marcello. I like his reporting usually. However his stance that Pogue wasnt fitting in there does not seem to fit with the opinion of message board posters on multiple websites. 

I like the hire. Especially if he can help us land Ga'Quincy "Kool Aid" McKinstry.

WDE

Archived