Men vs Iowa State Game Thread

Maverick.AU

1 hour ago, tgrogan21 said:

...Not sure we were watching the same game. Thought, Wiley was way better than Mac on defense and rebounds. That's what Wiley does. He's never going to be the offensive threat with the guards that we have. And you'll be surprised at the plus/minus. Wiley was a +6 while Mac was a -3. So many people love hating on Wiley but he's one of the most important pieces on this team.

At the end I'm happy to have AW in the game....at least he will not take some wild shot at a bad time like DP....and like AMc is inclined to do at about anytime he is in the game.  Good that AMc was hitting some 3s early but JMO, that's not a good role for him.   Nice to see him hit some but a miss is pretty quickly a fast break opportunity for the enemy.

AW has his problems but he plays pretty smart and is not gonna do something to hurt the team.. and his FT improvements are significant.  ..JMO

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AU64 said:

At the end I'm happy to have AW in the game....at least he will not take some wild shot at a bad time like DP....and like AMc is inclined to do at about anytime he is in the game.  Good that AMc was hitting some 3s early but JMO, that's not a good role for him.   Nice to see him hit some but a miss is pretty quickly a fast break opportunity for the enemy.

AW has his problems but he plays pretty smart and is not gonna do something to hurt the team.. and his FT improvements are significant.  ..JMO

That's how I feel as well. I love Mac, don't get me wrong and when he's in it changes our offense so much that it can cause problems but Wiley is better at rebounding, defense, and free throws. Mac is better at shooting three's and spacing on the offense. I just wish Wiley could improve his touch just a little bit so he starts making some of those hook shots. Also, the most frustrating thing I saw was DP once again just shot putting his layups. Frustrates me to no end that he does that.

I truly appreciate all the contributions AW has brought to Auburn. He does a good job rebounding, clogging up the middle, just being a factor inside. He's not so great making decisions when he touches the ball in the paint. I also see his difficulties finishing in close. Despite his size and strength, I think these issues will drop him down in the draft. He's a good team player for Auburn. Glad here's here.

Auburn sure did shoot the 3s great in the first half, and worked hard to hang on in the 2nd. Watching all the other games in the SEC-Big10 Challenge, I think Auburn is going to have a tough time against UK and LSU. Tennessee will be tough on the road.

9 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Boneheaded move. 

The last 5 minutes put a damper on an otherwise clean, crisp, well executed game. We let the air out of the ball, and with it, all the momentum. This time, we were not gassed or tired. And once again it almost cost us. While Purifoy had a decent, solid game, his jacked up 3 with 18 on the shot clock was not the only "what are you doing" moment. I literally gasped at several other decisions he made today. He seemed to have more in this one game than any other I recall, which is a good thing.

Looking back at the stats, I guess Cambridge going off was just an anomaly. Playing 14 minutes yesterday and not scoring a point is not a good thing. Was hoping the 26 point game was the start of him finding his feet.

Cambridge and Flanagan are both works in progress. Both will get better as season goes on but where you will see big difference is in second season under Bruce look at the improvement in Harper, Brown, and Mac between 1st year and second year. As Bruce learns their strengths and weaknesses he finds a away to take advantage of their strength's and he works on their weaknesses in off season. Brown and Harper got better every year they were here. Mac dropped off last year but that was because of recovering from the injury from year before. Bruce does a good job of scouting and recruiting talent but he also develops the talent when it arrives.

22 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

...Not sure we were watching the same game. Thought, Wiley was way better than Mac on defense and rebounds. That's what Wiley does. He's never going to be the offensive threat with the guards that we have. And you'll be surprised at the plus/minus. Wiley was a +6 while Mac was a -3. So many people love hating on Wiley but he's one of the most important pieces on this team.

That is very surprising to hear. I felt like Mac was definitely the better match up on both ends of the floor.  Like I have said many times, I'm not "hating" on Wiley, I want him to break out offensively and it just isnt going to happen. And I know that all the attempted passes to him in the post are not perfect, but it seems to be a 50/50 shot if he will actually get the pass, and then another 50/50 shot that he will even get a shot up if he has the ball. Maybe it's just me but it's an instant feeling of apprehension when we go to him offensively. 

3 minutes ago, BHDAU1 said:

I want him to break out offensively and it just isnt going to happen.

Agree....and it is not necessary for this to happen for the team to be successful.  JMO but if he rebounds and plays some good inside defense, hits 75% of his foul shots and every now and then jams one home.....that should be enough.    

A double-double (10 and 10) or something like that is a huge contribution for him considering that he will generally play about 20-25 minutes at most.    I wish he had better hands but it's what it is....and he rarely does anything that make me wonder "what was he thinking". 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Agree....and it is not necessary for this to happen for the team to be successful.  JMO but if he rebounds and plays some good inside defense, hits 75% of his foul shots and every now and then jams one home.....that should be enough.    

A double-double (10 and 10) or something like that is a huge contribution for him considering that he will generally play about 20-25 minutes at most.    I wish he had better hands but it's what it is....and he rarely does anything that make me wonder "what was he thinking". 

You are right about this, his 10/10 double double should be enough to win just about any game as long as the other guys on the team get their normal production.  And I really cant stress enough how impressed I am with his free throw shooting.  He went from "oh no" to "hell yes" in my house when he gets fouled when shooting.  I think what gets me so frustrated is I think he has the potential to be so much better.  With all that said, this team is really impressive overall and it is really cool that Auburn is in the conversation for the best team from the SEC along with UK. I grew up in lexington ky and live here now, where UK basketball is a religion. 

This team is getting close but still has issues in South Carolina game we had our typical slow start then almost put them away then last 5 minutes our O disappeared  and we played dumb then in Iowa State game we were atypical we basically started out hot and played very good most of the game and then in last 5 minutes our O disappeared and we played dumb again.  By this point in the season I really expected to have a better feel for this team but they have been an enigma. I can see the potential when they start playing as a team with great ball movement and great defense then I see guards dribble out the clock and then force up a shot and I see matador defense when the guy drives by them and they yell Ole. 

My problem is I expect some of the dumb mistakes from the new freshman but when the Seniors do it I am at a loss.We only need a 4 or 5 more wins to get into the big dance I think we will win that many easily the question is which team will play when we get there. 

The one thing i've been impressed with though is, once this team gains the lead, i feel confident that they will hold on to it. We've come close to giving the game up at the end, but even in our slow starts, we take the lead and keep it

On 1/26/2020 at 4:22 PM, BHDAU1 said:

That is very surprising to hear. I felt like Mac was definitely the better match up on both ends of the floor.  Like I have said many times, I'm not "hating" on Wiley, I want him to break out offensively and it just isnt going to happen. And I know that all the attempted passes to him in the post are not perfect, but it seems to be a 50/50 shot if he will actually get the pass, and then another 50/50 shot that he will even get a shot up if he has the ball. Maybe it's just me but it's an instant feeling of apprehension when we go to him offensively. 

A lot of the stuff Wiley does doesn't show up in the stats. If you watch The Brain Drain on Youtube Jay G Tate threw up the Kenpom breakdown for the game and Wiley was the best in offensive rating for the game out of both teams.

Archived