What should Gus and Bruce Pearl be learning

AdamsHouseCat

Gus from Bruce,

Player development and trust. I know zero about being a coach but from a player's perspective I responded better in development and attitude when I had a coach who wasn't afraid that I might make a mistake. Bruce plays his bench and those minutes are valuable when it gets late in the season, especially SEC tournament time. Your best six can't play 35 minutes for 4 straight days. Bruce knows and trusts his players to make plays. Gus doesn't seem to have much trust in the fact that experience is really the best teacher. The whole JG debacle could have been a much better situation for all concerned if he would have shown some trust. I just don't see Bruce leaving a talent like Joey on the bench if his starters are struggling. If coaching roles were switched last year I don't think we beat Kentucky without Chuma and might not have finished off UNC. Gus is just too tentative with having bench players ready to do too much other than a small role. 

1 hour ago, Hspoprn said:

What should Bruce Pearl be learning from Gus ? Seriously ?   Maybe do the sugar huddle at the tip-off.....

How to beat Bama.

Then Bruce can teach Gus how to beat everyone else.

3 hours ago, gr82be said:

Gus from Bruce,

Player development and trust. I know zero about being a coach but from a player's perspective I responded better in development and attitude when I had a coach who wasn't afraid that I might make a mistake. Bruce plays his bench and those minutes are valuable when it gets late in the season, especially SEC tournament time. Your best six can't play 35 minutes for 4 straight days. Bruce knows and trusts his players to make plays. Gus doesn't seem to have much trust in the fact that experience is really the best teacher. The whole JG debacle could have been a much better situation for all concerned if he would have shown some trust. I just don't see Bruce leaving a talent like Joey on the bench if his starters are struggling. If coaching roles were switched last year I don't think we beat Kentucky without Chuma and not have finished off UNC. Gus is just too tentative with having bench players ready to do too much other than a small role. 

Rhett said it best, Gus is coaching scared, my thought is he is coaching not to loose instead of playing to win that is a sure way of not developing your players because that philosophy hand cuff a player talents because of the head coach mind set you can't flourish.

16 hours ago, Hspoprn said:

What should Bruce Pearl be learning from Gus ? Seriously ?   Maybe do the sugar huddle at the tip-off.....

Keeping the program clean is probably the best thing.  And I say that as a Bruce fan as well.

12 hours ago, eaglenest said:

Rhett said it best, Gus is coaching scared, my thought is he is coaching not to loose instead of playing to win that is a sure way of not developing your players because that philosophy hand cuff a player talents because of the head coach mind set you can't flourish.

Rhett said this?

3 hours ago, alexava said:

Rhett said this?

It was said in a article by mods after the fire bowl between Auburn and L S U, Les Miles was fired, and Rhett took over play calling after that game later that season. Gus step back in and took over the offense and Rhett left after that year as well.

5 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Keeping the program clean is probably the best thing.  And I say that as a Bruce fan as well.

I'm a HUGE Bruce fan, but a HC needs to monitor his staffer(s).

If the Persons thing happened at Michigan/Duke/LSU/UAT/UT or any other program I blame the hell out of Izzo/K/Wade/AJ/Barnes, etc. and ridicule them mercilessly.

8 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Meh.  I'd rather compete for Championships.  If you'd have said maintain plausible deniability I'd have agreed wholeheartedly. 

8 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Totally different sports. As dirty as college football crutin is.......... College Basketball is X89349848934 times worse. Dirtiest sport out there easily. I will say that Gus does seem to be one of the "relatively" cleanest ( I mean COME ON we are still a top 10 program! of course we operate in the grey area and bend the rules with as much as we can get away with.) coaches out there. He refuses to play the game as much as a certain coach in Athens does. Pickens would of been in a Auburn uniform this year if Gus did.

16 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Totally different sports. As dirty as college football crutin is.......... College Basketball is X89349848934 times worse. Dirtiest sport out there easily. I will say that Gus does seem to be one of the "relatively" cleanest ( I mean COME ON we are still a top 10 program! of course we operate in the grey area and bend the rules with as much as we can get away with.) coaches out there. He refuses to play the game as much as a certain coach in Athens does. Pickens would of been in a Auburn uniform this year if Gus did.

And Derrick Brown wouldn't have been. Or Carl Lawson. We win some and we lose some with how we do business. 

(Not a retort to anything you said. Just talkin' 'crootin.)

To be fair our bball program isn't *dirty* like some are insinuating.

We had a rogue assistant going into business for himself. Nothing he was doing was giving AU an competitive advantage like what was going on at other schools in this FBI scandal. Bruce wasn't giving STRONG ASS OFFERS out here to kids to commit and help AU achieve success. This was Person's personal mission to steer kids to a financial adviser for his own financial gain. He was doing this on his own time, not on Bruce/our recruiting time. I think it's ok Bruce didn't know what was happening here with this and also I think in some of the transcripts released Person was recorded explicitly telling Danjel and Wiley not to mention this stuff to Bruce. This isn't Pitino implementing strippers into official visits to entice kids to sign. Is Bruce supposed to wipe Person's ass too? I get the HC should be on top of all his assistants but IMO a HC can only be in control of basketball related activities and recruiting when it comes to assistants and the Chuck Person BS was not happening in those quarters.

Compare with Will Wade who himself was facilitating payments to prospects. And all others who were looking to benefit their programs and gain a competitive advantage. Chuck was not trying to do that -- but yes, while trying to do that some kids lost eligibility -- and I think that is where the common ground stops when we are looking at our situation and other schools' situations.

Not trying to attack @keesler or @abw0004 with this post, and I apologize for the tone if it comes off as abrasive, it's just I'm salty at how we got our name thrown into this crap when we were just caught in the fray.  I just don't think we should be considered DIRTY when we weren't cheating. Yes, I understand it was against the rules to give Danjel and Wiley money but we, as a team, as a program, gained nothing from giving them money -- they were already on our roster.

13 minutes ago, Tiger said:

To be fair our bball program isn't *dirty* like some are insinuating.

We had a rogue assistant going into business for himself. Nothing he was doing was giving AU an competitive advantage like what was going on at other schools in this FBI scandal. Bruce wasn't giving STRONG ASS OFFERS out here to kids to commit and help AU achieve success. This was Person's personal mission to steer kids to a financial adviser for his own financial gain. He was doing this on his own time, not on Bruce/our recruiting time. I think it's ok Bruce didn't know what was happening here with this and also I think in some of the transcripts released Person was recorded explicitly telling Danjel and Wiley not to mention this stuff to Bruce. This isn't Pitino implementing strippers into official visits to entice kids to sign. Is Bruce supposed to wipe Person's ass too? I get the HC should be on top of all his assistants but IMO a HC can only be in control of basketball related activities and recruiting when it comes to assistants and the Chuck Person BS was not happening in those quarters.

Compare with Will Wade who himself was facilitating payments to prospects. And all others who were looking to benefit their programs and gain a competitive advantage. Chuck was not trying to do that -- but yes, while trying to do that some kids lost eligibility -- and I think that is where the common ground stops when we are looking at our situation and other schools' situations.

Not trying to attack @keesler or @abw0004 with this post, and I apologize for the tone if it comes off as abrasive, it's just I'm salty at how we got our name thrown into this crap when we were just caught in the fray.  I just don't think we should be considered DIRTY when we weren't cheating. Yes, I understand it was against the rules to give Danjel and Wiley money but we, as a team, as a program, gained nothing from giving them money -- they were already on our roster.

Depends on what you call "dirty" I guess.  I have a strong feeling that we're "playing the game" with the level of talent we're recruiting.

1 minute ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Depends on what you call "dirty" I guess.  I have a strong feeling that we're "playing the game" with the level of talent we're recruiting.

MUHHHHHHHHHHHHH boy @Tiger knows that. He is not naive enough to think we are not doing that. All he is saying is that we are not being as blatant about it as Will Wade is.

33 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

MUHHHHHHHHHHHHH boy @Tiger knows that. He is not naive enough to think we are not doing that. All he is saying is that we are not being as blatant about it as Will Wade is.

Agreed.  I'm shocked Wade isn't suspended right now.

Just now, dyehardfanAU said:

Agreed.  I'm shocked Wade isn't suspended right now.

I am shocked he did not get fired over that stuff truthfully. I mean he was caught red handed on tapes talking about paying players. I give LSU credit for for having the balls to go against what literally everyone in the media were saying in that they had to fire him. For the most part all of that noise has died down and people have just accepted he is going to still be LSU Head Coach for now. The def weathered the storm in a big way.

Archived