Worst year for AU recruiting in state of AL in years?

GwillMac6

1 minute ago, ClaytonAU said:

I meant to post this in the Bro Jones thread. Oh well, still, just trash takes. 

giphy-26.gif

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/1/2020 at 9:45 AM, Mikey said:

Cleaned up in Georgia? Do you really think getting three prospects that UGA really wanted is cleaning up?

I don't give a rat's butt how many of them UGA wanted. We still did well in Georgia & recruited that state better than UGA did. Yes UGA has gone national in recruiting but that can have some consequences for Kirby if he doesn't win the natty soon. Georgia is 1 of the big 3 states in recruiting for talent & a number of coaches in Georgia are not happy with Kirby not taking some of the best of their home state boys.

12 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I don't give a rat's butt how many of them UGA wanted. We still did well in Georgia & recruited that state better than UGA did. Yes UGA has gone national in recruiting but that can have some consequences for Kirby if he doesn't win the natty soon. Georgia is 1 of the big 3 states in recruiting for talent & a number of coaches in Georgia are not happy with Kirby not taking some home state boys.

We did do well in Georgia. Very well in fact but using the term "cleaned up" is not accurate. Doing well in Georgia does not compensate for getting embarrassed in our home state. We should do well in both states, and will need to in the future if we are to stay within striking distance of the leaders. Historically, we have maintained something close to a 4-6 or 3-7 split with UAT on the home-grown talent. This year's 1-8 isn't close to that, and the same obstacles we face currently were there during the years when we did much better.

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

I don't give a rat's butt how many of them UGA wanted. We still did well in Georgia & recruited that state better than UGA did. Yes UGA has gone national in recruiting but that can have some consequences for Kirby if he doesn't win the natty soon. Georgia is 1 of the big 3 states in recruiting for talent & a number of coaches in Georgia are not happy with Kirby not taking some home state boys.

How many do Ga folks expect him to take?  I remember in maybe '17 or '18 that roster was like 90% Ga players, which I thought was excessive and may have contributed to a lot of the discipline problems.

On 2/2/2020 at 1:23 PM, Tigerbelle said:

All the public Gus bashing and booing, and calling for him to be fired probably had some effect on recruiting this cycle. It's a weapon that's quite effectively used against Gus. 

Auburn should be fine with this class, and if the team has a big year all the rest will take care of itself anyway. 

I don't think it hindered this class at all, in fact it sounds like AU will haul in a #7 class which is much better than the #10-#12 classes in the last few years.  

I kinda side with you on this Belle (shocking I know 😉), but I don't care where the talent comes from as long as the coaches develop them and AU can compete with the elite programs, then it's all good to me.  I'm happy to see a #7 class, and I have hopes that the new coaches on staff will boost it even more in the future.

Haha. We're still blaming the "bashing and booing" and not the incredibly poor coaching performances that led to it. Very sound strategy. It's kind of like when you go to a really expensive restaurant and the food sucks. The LAST thing you'd want to do is tell somebody about it. Then it becomes your fault! Nope, best to keep your mouth shut and wait for it to fix itself, no matter how many tries it takes.

Straight losing commitments to bama sucks. It's not like we didn't want in-state guys. But does it matter long term with regards to the composition of the roster? I don't think so. Not one bad year, at least. It's not like, say, failing to recruit an extremely important position year after year after year...

On 2/2/2020 at 2:00 PM, AuburnTiger4Life said:

There’s a lot of factors that go into recruiting a kid. Coaches dont just go down the rivals rankings and pick the highest rated DL on the board, in state or not. If an in state kid didn’t get an offer from Auburn then the staff likely saw something on film that they didn’t like. 

I'm well aware of how recruiting works. Thanks. 

Doesnt change the fact we were bent over and taken to the woodshed in state this cycle. Also doesnt change the fact we had multiple players in state rated higher than out of state kids that we likely could have signed if we put forth the effort. 

I'm upset over Ashford. If not for what he could have contributed to the baseball team alone. We all know any QB taken this cycle likely spends their careers as a backup but Ashford likely would have been a weapon for Butch Thompson. 

I just dont get taking a lower rated out of state kid when an in state kid is higher rated and would have truly helped in another sport

11 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Doesnt change the fact we were bent over and taken to the woodshed in state this cycle. Also doesnt change the fact we had multiple players in state rated higher than out of state kids that we likely could have signed if we put forth the effort. 

I'm upset over Ashford. If not for what he could have contributed to the baseball team alone. We all know any QB taken this cycle likely spends their careers as a backup but Ashford likely would have been a weapon for Butch Thompson. 

I just dont get taking a lower rated out of state kid when an in state kid is higher rated and would have truly helped in another sport

Again if the staff thinks an out of state kid is better then that’s who they’re gonna recruit regardless of their ranking. As for his baseball skills that’s up to the baseball staff to recruit him for baseball not the football staff

55 minutes ago, keesler said:

I don't think it hindered this class at all, in fact it sounds like AU will haul in a #7 class which is much better than the #10-#12 classes in the last few years.  

I kinda side with you on this Belle (shocking I know 😉), but I don't care where the talent comes from as long as the coaches develop them and AU can compete with the elite programs, then it's all good to me.  I'm happy to see a #7 class, and I have hopes that the new coaches on staff will boost it even more in the future.

Bama didn’t build their dynasty on in stats kids. That’s all I have to say about that 

1 hour ago, keesler said:

How many do Ga folks expect him to take?  I remember in maybe '17 or '18 that roster was like 90% Ga players, which I thought was excessive and may have contributed to a lot of the discipline problems.

It's not about the %. It's about Georgia being a Big 3 recruiting state so their coaches feel the best of their kids can play with anyone in the nation.

38 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Well be upset at the kid, not AU. He had issues he brought on that prevented most schools in the South from giving him a committable offer.

38 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I just dont get taking a lower rated out of state kid when an in state kid is higher rated

Yup cuz higher rated kids always do better than lower rated kids. This isn't a video game where higher rated high school recruits directly correlate to better play on the field all the time.

2 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Yup cuz higher rated kids always do better than lower rated kids. This isn't a video game where higher rated high school recruits directly correlate to better play on the field all the time

I love this song. 

I would love to sign in-state  kids , but when we’re finishing at #7 in recruiting I don’t care about one year. I don’t get all the handwringing about this class. We did better on oline, great at RB, secondary and dlinemen will be fine. Missing on Bro Jones hurts but isn’t the end of the world. Be happy 😃 like me.

15 hours ago, ellitor said:

This isn't a video game 

You are absolutely correct it isnt a video game. That's why its important to get your homemade talent. 

I've seen on other boards, on this site, and other platforms that Kirby is pissing off the high school coaches in his state because he has taken his recruiting national and he isnt doing much to keep elite talent in state.

I'm not saying we have taken our recruiting national. We havent, not like UAT, Clemson, or UGA but we have started to expand our recruiting grounds.... 

However we have to at least try in state. And 1 for the top 13 isnt trying very much... and 2 out of the top 16 in state is horrible. 

E I guess you didnt read the entire conversation because you took my comment entirely out of context. Your comment suggested I was complaining about the class. I have actually said 180° opposite of that. Your comment suggested I thought recruiting worked like it does on a video game when in reality my comment was directly opposite... on those video games you go get the highest rated kid period. In real life you can not do that. You HAVE to recruit your home state. And as I said before 1 in the top 13 and only 2 in the top 16 is an absolutely pathetic showing on instate recruiting. 

12 hours ago, toddc said:

I would love to sign in-state  kids , but when we’re finishing at #7 in recruiting I don’t care about one year. I don’t get all the handwringing about this class. We did better on oline, great at RB, secondary and dlinemen will be fine. Missing on Bro Jones hurts but isn’t the end of the world. Be happy 😃 like me.

First off if you abandon in state recruiting you wont finish in the top 10 very much longer. 

Secondly as much as many of you want this site to be that way, you will never turn it entirely into Rainbows and Unicorns. Sometimes people will talk about things that have the sunshine pumpers feeling uncomfortable. 

And no, just saying be happy we have the #7 rated class and ignore the issues isnt going to work. Perhaps you have missed the last few classes where we finished in the top 10 but abandoned OT recruiting...how did that work our for us?

7 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

First off if you abandon in state recruiting you wont finish in the top 10 very much longer. 

Secondly as much as many of you want this site to be that way, you will never turn it entirely into Rainbows and Unicorns. Sometimes people will talk about things that have the sunshine pumpers feeling uncomfortable. 

And no, just saying be happy we have the #7 rated class and ignore the issues isnt going to work. Perhaps you have missed the last few classes where we finished in the top 10 but abandoned OT recruiting...how did that work our for us?

Nobody is saying we did a great job with in-state kids this year because the numbers say we didn't.  We still have a great class minus freshman OT's which we all have complained about. If over the next two cycles we continue to do badly in Alabama I will agree with you 100% but so far (I know none have signed a commitment letter)  we are looking much better in next years class in state.  This next year is telling we need to keep the ones who already say they are committed to Auburn in state add a few more and we really need at least 3 OT''s and a 4th one wouldn't hurt.  We also still need to hit Georgia and Florida hard and continue to get a few outside of the our big 3 states.

18 hours ago, keesler said:

I'm with you. Once they put that orange and blue uniform on, you can't tell which players came from what state. Question: would we rather have 0 Alabama players on the roster and win a natty, or have a bunch of Alabama players on the roster and go 8-5 and play in a meaningless bowl game.

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

However we have to at least try in state. And 1 for the top 13 isnt trying very much... and 2 out of the top 16 in state is horrible. 

We did try. We just got whipped on the ones we wanted. Of the top 16 we wanted & went after only 8 of them (Yes going 2 for 8 sucks). Just because a kid is a 4* or better doesn't mean he fits a team or their needs.

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Your comment suggested I was complaining about the class

No it didn't. On the surface It suggested you were taking a simplified look at things. Your post history has me programmed to think that way with your posts.

In looking at your explanation it looks like I incorrectly interpretted your post.

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

This next year is telling we need to keep the ones who already say they are committed to Auburn in state add a few more.....

This time last year we looked good on in-state commitments, then the bottom fell out. I'm hopeful about next year but not optimistic. The same thing can happen again.

Tuberville and Chizik did a lot better job in recruiting top players in Alabama. Malzahn has always been way below ave. Nothing will change with him.

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

Tuberville and Chizik did a lot better job in recruiting top players in Alabama. Malzahn has always been way below ave. Nothing will change with him.

The level of wrong in this post is...well, expected.

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

source.gif

42 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

What state do y’all see Auburn over on this list? 🤔

Georgia...And Clemson owns Florida. lol

Archived