Worst year for AU recruiting in state of AL in years?

GwillMac6

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ellitor said:

Own their poor home state. Sounds about right.

The PTB at UTx are getting very restless.

22 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Apropos of nothing, I would love to read an alternate history where Texas lands saban.

At that point I think Dabo was attainable. I think he would of still coveted the Bama job immensely. IDK if that is the case anymore. Clemson to me is pound for pound the best job in the country. They play 13 exhibition games basically until the playoff starts! lol. EAAAAAAAAAAAAAASY. Why would he leave?! Clemson will match or even go above whatever bama would offer now. People compare Dabo to Bowden in the 90's. FSU played a much more challenging schedule back then than Clemson has so far. 

16 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

At that point I think Dabo was attainable. I think he would of still coveted the Bama job immensely. IDK if that is the case anymore. Clemson to me is pound for pound the best job in the country. They play 13 exhibition games until the playoff starts! lol. EAAAAAAAAAAAAAASY. Why would he leave?! Clemson will match or even go above whatever bama would offer now. People compare Dabo to Bowden in the 90's. FSU played a much more challenging schedule than Clemson has so far. 

Agree with your assessment of Clemson now but I'm not so sure that Dabo would have been the guy that bama went after in 2012/2013. Clemsoning was still very much a thing at that point. Given that their previous hire was the head coach of the Miami Dolphins- and it more than paid off- I have a feeling that bama would have aimed crazy high. (Was that the same offseason that Ohio State hired Urban? Yikes.)

The more interesting half of the dynamic to me, though, is what happens elsewhere. Does Texas become bama? (I personally think yes, 100%.) Does the Big 12 then experience the arms race that the SEC did? Does Georgia land bowl cut and, if they do, are they still willing to play it fast and loose like they are now? Does Ole Miss ever make the mistake of trying to hang with the big dogs? Hell, is Auburn still recruiting at this level? Do so many SEC offenses go to more open, up-tempo concepts built to beat saban defenses?

Some of that is reaching, I know, but I still think that saban at bama is *the* story of the last decade of college football- even with Clemson catching up- and changing that would rewrite recent history in a big way. Or maybe not. Maybe it just becomes even more all about Clemson, haha.

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Agree with your assessment of Clemson now but I'm not so sure that Dabo would have been the guy that bama went after in 2012/2013. Clemsoning was still very much a thing at that point. Given that their previous hire was the head coach of the Miami Dolphins- and it more than paid off- I have a feeling that bama would have aimed crazy high. (Was that the same offseason that Ohio State hired Urban? Yikes.)

The more interesting half of the dynamic to me, though, is what happens elsewhere. Does Texas become bama? (I personally think yes, 100%.) Does the Big 12 then experience the arms race that the SEC did? Does Georgia land bowl cut and, if they do, are they still willing to play it fast and loose like they are now? Does Ole Miss ever make the mistake of trying to hang with the big dogs? Hell, is Auburn still recruiting at this level? Do so many SEC offenses go to more open, up-tempo concepts built to beat saban defenses?

Some of that is reaching, I know, but I still think that saban at bama is *the* story of the last decade of college football- even with Clemson catching up- and changing that would rewrite recent history in a big way. Or maybe not. Maybe it just becomes even more all about Clemson, haha.

WAIT WAIT WAIIIIIIIIIT!! HOLD UP!!!! I NEED A TIMEOUT!!!!! That Saban to Texas near hire was all the way back in 2012 ish?!?! OWWWWWIE WOOOWIE!!!!! THATS SO LONG AGO!!!!!!! I had no no noooooooo idea it had been that long!!!!! WO!!!!!!

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

WAIT WAIT WAIIIIIIIIIT!! HOLD UP!!!! I NEED A TIMEOUT!!!!! That Saban to Texas near hire was all the way back in 2012 ish?!?! OWWWWWIE WOOOWIE!!!!! THATS SO LONG AGO!!!!!!! I had no no noooooooo idea it had been that long!!!!! WO!!!!!!

Yessir. Here ya go:

Hicks said the conversations with Saban and Sexton took place “five or six years ago,” which would line up with the 2012
offseason. Saban had just won his second straight national championship at Alabama, and third in four years, at that point.

“We had a call from his agent,” Hicks said. “… Another regent and I had a conversation with Saban and his agent. He [Sexton] said ‘if Saban was a business guy, he’s what you’d call a turnaround artist, he’s not a long-term CEO. He’d go somewhere and fix it, win and move on.

“He knows he’ll never catch Bear Bryant’s legacy at Alabama. But he’d like to create his legacy that he’d won more national championships at more schools than anybody else. He’s already done that at LSU, he’s already done that at Alabama. He knows he could win a national championship at Texas. He knows he can.'”

But wait... there's more...

Hicks said a Texas regent (not his brother) leaked the story to the media, dampening any interest on Saban’s end. When Brown resigned following the 2013 season (he is now entering his first season as head coach at North Carolina), Hicks said he approached Sexton again about Saban potentially taking the Texas job, but was quickly rebuffed.

https://www.al.com/sports/2019/07/nick-saban-was-interested-in-texas-job-at-one-time-former-regent-tom-hicks-says.html

• 3 weeks later...

I hope that with losing woodson, our Mississippi talent does not dry up. We have done well there the past few years. BTW...who handles Mississippi on our staff?  Georgia seems to be teeming with lots of quality talent to draw from even with Kriby taking his fill. I am not too concerned about where we get our talent as long as well get the talent we need.  We need to solve the OT recruiting dilemma though and very soon.

12 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I hope that with losing woodson, our Mississippi talent does not dry up.

@doc4aday Three's not as much talent there this year to take.

12 hours ago, doc4aday said:

who handles Mississippi on our staff?

Crime Dog is 1. Not sure there will be any others.

11 hours ago, ellitor said:

@doc4aday Three's not as much talent there this year to take.

Grime Dog is 1. Not sure there will be any others.

I know Woodson brought way more to the table than just crootin Mississippi, but it is uncommonly good luck and timing for Auburn football that we landed him right before that state had a bumper crop of talent and he stayed until we locked up some high grade kids. 

Archived