Men vs UK Game Thread

Maverick.AU

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, AURex said:

Very happy to come away with this W. Auburn is the team that can't shoot straight. 35% from the field, 26% from outside. UK shot better. Won it with free throws (Doughty 14 of 15 at the line!).

Cal was subtle in his criticism of the referees. I think the game at Rupp will be a tough one.

I've really enjoyed all the UK fans whining about the officiating. Absolutely priceless.

Enjoyed the game so much, I watched it again today. Both fan bases can complain about the officiating because they did miss calls and they particularly let the some physical fouls go in the early going. However, in my uneducated review, I did not see any real bias in calls. It looked they missed calls for both teams equally. The only officiating item that I don't have a clue about was the technical on Bruce. In the playback before the foul call against us on the drive by Maxey (or Quigley), you can see him being typically demonstrative on the sidelines. It appeared that the technical was made after the foul by the ref that was under the basket, not the one standing closest to Bruce. After the technical, Bruce yelling "Throw me out" was hysterical but live I was concerned they might take him up on it. After suffering through the Lebo and particularly Barbee years, it's great to watch Bruce and Auburn basketball for the years since he arrived. I look forward to AU continuing to climb as a basketball school.

1 hour ago, akillshot said:

Enjoyed the game so much, I watched it again today. Both fan bases can complain about the officiating because they did miss calls and they particularly let the some physical fouls go in the early going. However, in my uneducated review, I did not see any real bias in calls. It looked they missed calls for both teams equally. The only officiating item that I don't have a clue about was the technical on Bruce. In the playback before the foul call against us on the drive by Maxey (or Quigley), you can see him being typically demonstrative on the sidelines. It appeared that the technical was made after the foul by the ref that was under the basket, not the one standing closest to Bruce. After the technical, Bruce yelling "Throw me out" was hysterical but live I was concerned they might take him up on it. After suffering through the Lebo and particularly Barbee years, it's great to watch Bruce and Auburn basketball for the years since he arrived. I look forward to AU continuing to climb as a basketball school.

Quite frankly Kentucky committed many more fouls than were actually called. Auburn drove hard to the basket, and when they couldn't guard us they fouled us. 

6 hours ago, boisnumber1 said:

I've really enjoyed all the UK fans whining about the officiating. Absolutely priceless.

The stupid thing is they keep using the free throw disparity as evidence of bad officiating. Free throw disparity doesnt mean anything without additional evidence other than the fact we are more aggressive and smarter with offensive possessions. Nevermind I think we are #4 nationally at shooting free throws, meaning the refs would have to biased towards us every game for this garbage argument to hold weight. Lol. I'm loving it too. 

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I think they're the closest thing to a team capable of making a tourney run rn. UK definitely looks better top to bottom, but they seem to be very dependent on certain guys to keep the machine flowing. Auburn obv needs Doughty to be on to be their best version, but they seem to find a way to survive at least. UK with Hagans off the court and Richards being in fits...their offense was very shaky. And that's with them having a GREAT shooting night for their standards

8 hours ago, twilli13 said:

The stupid thing is they keep using the free throw disparity as evidence of bad officiating. Free throw disparity doesnt mean anything without additional evidence other than the fact we are more aggressive and smarter with offensive possessions. Nevermind I think we are #4 nationally at shooting free throws, meaning the refs would have to biased towards us every game for this garbage argument to hold weight. Lol. I'm loving it too. 

That's exactly what they are whining about. Heck, the way we shoot free throws at times, we could argue that they were trying to help out UK 😛

Still beaming from the win on Saturday night! WDE! What a game. Lets keep this thing rolling. Got a big road game tomorrow vs Arky and they are a matchup problem similar to how we were back in 2018.

On 2/2/2020 at 3:33 PM, jared52 said:

Watching the replay and I just cannot get over Issac Okoro. This guy is going to be the best pro out of AU since Charles Barkley. 

This guy was ok...

90s-costacos-poster-chuck-p.jpg

6 hours ago, Tiger said:

Ah, one of Bruce's former assistants at Tennessee? Thanks

Person never coached at Tennessee. 

Sorry about the first pic...fixed the link. See above. 

58 minutes ago, Viper said:

Person never coached at Tennessee. 

Sorry about the first pic...fixed the link. See above. 

I think Chuck has been wiped clean off Tiger’s Auburn Basketball history books. 

12 hours ago, AUBwins said:

I watched him put Auburn on his back and carry them to the Elite Eight and damn near knock off North Carolina to reach the Final Four. Until last year’s Final Four, it was the greatest thing I’d ever seen happen for Auburn hoops. And it happened after Barkley. Regardless of what he did, that accomplishment is etched in my memories forever. 

13 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Chuck Person is the Pete Rose of AU bball. We acknowledge he existed and he did some stuff but we all hope he vanishes one day and the sooner the better. 

22 minutes ago, Viper said:

I watched him put Auburn on his back and carry them to the Elite Eight and damn near knock off North Carolina to reach the Final Four. Until last year’s Final Four, it was the greatest thing I’d ever seen happen for Auburn hoops. And it happened after Barkley. Regardless of what he did, that accomplishment is etched in my memories forever. 

If there had only been a 3 point line back then...

7 hours ago, boisnumber1 said:

If there had only been a 3 point line back then...

Yup as hot as Person was from outside in the 86 tourney, we might have won it all. He was Bryce Brown hot. 

23 hours ago, Viper said:

It was Louisville with Pervis Ellison that they lost to that year. Louisville went on to win it all

3 hours ago, fredst said:

It was Louisville with Pervis Ellison that they lost to that year. Louisville went on to win it all

Correct. North Carolina was 85.

Archived