2021 3* S Phillip O'Brien Flips to Pitt

AuburnTiger4Life

Boom! Tigers land 2021 defensive back

By Keith Niebuhr

AUBURN, ALABAMA -- Auburn's junior day has netted the Tigers a nice get.

On Saturday, defensive back Phillip O'Brien Jr. of Deerfield Beach (Fla.) committed to Gus Malzahn's program while on a visit to the school. He's the No. 58 recruit in the state of Florida for the industry generated 247Sports Composite.

"I'm 100 percent -- I should say 1000 percent committed to Auburn University," O'Brien said. "I just love everything about Auburn. I feel like it fits me personally. The coaching staff feels like a family. The facilities and everything are amazing."

O'Brien, who is listed at 6-feet-2, 190 pounds, could play corner or safety he said.

Why Auburn?

"Definitely the coaching staff. It just feels like home, family. Everything around here is beautiful. This is a dream right here. Coach was telling me that they're losing a lot of DB's and me coming in as a mid-year next year, I just want to work harder and get in the weight room and get bigger and bigger," O'Brien said. "I want to eventually play as a freshman when I get here"

O'Brien is commitment No. 4 for the Tigers in the 2021 class. He joins 5-star defensive tackle Lee Hunter, 4-star running back Armoni Goodwin and 4-star quarterback Aaron McLaughlin.

Larry Porter was O'Brien's area recruiter. Secondary coach Wesley McGriff also was heavily involved.

"Coach Crime (McGriff). I love him," O'Brien said. "Got to love Coach Crime and Coach (Rodney Garner). Got to love them and Coach Porter. I appreciate everything, especially Coach (Jevon) Glenn staying on top of me coming into Deerfield Beach High, coaches pushing me. I just want to thank everyone."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• ellitor changed the title to 2021 3* DB Phillip O'Brien Commits to AU!
  • ellitor pinned and featured this topic
3 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Highlights had him looking more like a safety than corner. He must’ve not got challenged too much on his side

6'2 is long for a corner, too. Love it if he sticks, though.

• Like 1

Didn't watch the entire highlight, but if you want to see what we mean by smooth, quick hips, watch the play at 3:14.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

6'2 is long for a corner, too. Love it if he sticks, though.

He is one of those early 2021 commits where we see his rankings shoot up through the cycle and ends up being a solid 4*

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Highlights had him looking more like a safety than corner. He must’ve not got challenged too much on his side

As the highlights progress it shows him making plays 1 on 1 vs WRs FWIW.

38 minutes ago, ellitor said:

As the highlights progress it shows him making plays 1 on 1 vs WRs FWIW.

Yeah I seen it. He was still allowing completions on a few of those but he’s a sure tackler. Just wanted to see more PBU’s. But that’s me being nitpicky. He can play, good physicality 

• Like 1

He sure looks good at CB to me. Smooth transitions, makes plays on the ball, and brings the wood when he can. How  the heck is he just 3*? That’ll change......

Scouts looking at him or not, his offer sheet, if correct, sure seems enough to warrant a 4* rating. 

If those offers are correct, this young man may end up being our first 5* DB that we have ever signed.

That would be something but his offer sheet with his size... I just dont see how he doesnt end up being a very high 4* or even a 5*. 

If I'm not mistaken Shon Coleman was a 3* when he committed and ended up as a 5*...

12 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Scouts looking at him or not, his offer sheet, if correct, sure seems enough to warrant a 4* rating. 

If those offers are correct, this young man may end up being our first 5* DB that we have ever signed.

That would be something but his offer sheet with his size... I just dont see how he doesnt end up being a very high 4* or even a 5*. 

If I'm not mistaken Shon Coleman was a 3* when he committed and ended up as a 5*...

Yeah he’ll shoot up the rankings by the summer 

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I agree he will move up probably to mid level or high 4* but if what I saw was an honest forty of 4..57 he will need to get a step quicker to go the whole way to 5*. I noticed his 100 time was 11.01 so if I look at his forty and his 100 he is fast but it takes him a little time to get to full speed which you often see with taller players.He is great pickup this class is staring out very strong lets keep the momentum going.

Now I have seen him listed on other websites as 6'0. There isnt a lot of difference between 6'0 and 6'2 but that 2 inches can absolutely be the difference between a 4th and 5th star. 

If this young man is actually 6'0 and not 6'2 I doubt he would get that 5th star. Not that it matters a hill of beans... 

In before someone asks if he will ever get a bump up in star rankings

ohhhhh waaiiiiiiiit

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

• augolf1716 unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...