Rate the class based on needs

gr82b4au

Give me your rating, 1-10 (10 is the highest) and why. 
I rate this class a 7 out of 10. It filled needs that were dire but it missed on the biggest need. It is strong enough to keep us competitive in the SEC but not strong enough for AU to remain relevant in the national picture. 
Agree?

No I don’t agree. We “needed “ OTs who were already playing and somewhat tested to help us in 2020, not high school kids. You can argue about past and future, but we’re talking about today’s needs. Every other area of need was addressed and we’re signing, I think, CGM’s second highest rated class. @#7

I give it a 9!!!

Doesn't really matter because we are not going to be able to consistently beat our rivals with a sh*t o line.  It used to be linebackers, now it's O line.  

Well we needed OT that can play now and we needed some that can play in the future. We got some we hope can play now...

I think a 7-8 is a fair grade based on this being the first 'adequate' OL class we have signed in about 3 years. 

2 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Well we needed OT that can play now and we needed some that can play in the future. We got some we hope can play now...

I think a 7-8 is a fair grade based on this being the first 'adequate' OL class we have signed in about 3 years. 

adequate ain't gonna cut it.  Here is hoping that Morris can come up with a scheme to downplay our shortcomings on the line and that Bicknell can coach them up.

50 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Give me your rating, 1-10 (10 is the highest) and why. 
I rate this class a 7 out of 10. It filled needs that were dire but it missed on the biggest need. It is strong enough to keep us competitive in the SEC but not strong enough for AU to remain relevant in the national picture. 
Agree?

FTR the class ain't over til we find out what GT OT we will eventually land so technically it's an incomplete right now.

36 minutes ago, lutzcammed said:

adequate ain't gonna cut it.  Here is hoping that Morris can come up with a scheme to downplay our shortcomings on the line and that Bicknell can coach them up.

Its a step up from our previous OL classes so at least there is that.......i agree though that it is not to the level it needs to be. But i'm also not going to act like the whole recruiting class is garbage because we missed on Jones. It would have been Malzahns best ever with Jones and it gets knocked down a couple notches without him or another high level HS OT.

Malzahn did a major screw up by bringing Grimes back for a second run. Of all the head scratching decisions he has made as coach of AU that may be the one that gets him. But maybe we can survive by patching with JUCO bandaids until we can sign some decent HS prospects at OT. 

10 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Malzahn did a major screw up by bringing Grimes back for a second run. Of all the head scratching decisions he has made as coach of AU that may be the one that gets him.

Gus's OL recruiting philosophy on the OL before this past class was just as bad if not worse.

10 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Gus's OL recruiting philosophy on the OL before this past class was just as bad if not worse.

do we know why his OL recruiting philosophy was different then other positions. Seems OL is the only position that has struggled from a recruiting standpoint. 

20 minutes ago, gravejd said:

do we know why his OL recruiting philosophy was different then other positions. Seems OL is the only position that has struggled from a recruiting standpoint. 

It's not different from other positions on O. Just had less guys he was willing to take when we missed his plan As.

55 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It's not different from other positions on O. Just had less guys he was willing to take when we missed his plan As.

Why do you think he doesn't work Plan B guys harder?  It seems like a few guys who will be ready as upper-classmen every year mixed in with some elite talent would have us in a much better position today.

7 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Why do you think he doesn't work Plan B guys harder?  It seems like a few guys who will be ready as upper-classmen every year mixed in with some elite talent would have us in a much better position today.

He has proven through the years he's not likely to have a plan B because he doesn't think his Plan A will fail, at least not because of him. Putting that aside the lack of success in the NFL for Auburn O-linemen does hurt. It's the chicken and egg theory- do we sign the top linemen and they'll in turn become pro linemen or do we somehow get the guys we have to the NFL and the recruiting will benefit from it. Hopefully Bicknell is the answer for development. I think this class is probably an 8. 

3 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I'm not even going to try to understand his sometimes warped logic, much less explain it.

3 hours ago, toddc said:

No I don’t agree. We “needed “ OTs who were already playing and somewhat tested to help us in 2020, not high school kids. You can argue about past and future, but we’re talking about today’s needs. Every other area of need was addressed and we’re signing, I think, CGM’s second highest rated class. @#7

I give it a 9!!!

We needed both. That's why we were still putting the full court press on a high school kid until the last minute and why we still have a slot open. 

Otherwise it was a great class. 

The 7-7.5 range. We got the Juco OT's who should help it is a shame the Zierer got hurt. I think some are underestimating Coffey. If we had signed a solid Freshman OT I would have made it a 7.5-8 and if we had signed a stud Freshman OT I would have made it an 8.5.  We did great in D-Line, at LB and at DB  also got the RB we wanted and a fantastic receiver class that includes two TE's.  With Joey leaving we needed a couple of QB's which we got one on scholarship and one PWO time will tell if either one fills a need as a solid backup or starter if Bo gets hurt. A stud QB and a stud OT would have gotten us to a 9 or 9.5 there is no such thing as a 10 you can always do a little better.

UGA, Bama, LSU, TAMU, Auburn

4 teams we play perenially and the number of 5 stars each team signed. Championship teams have a lot of really good players but typically have 1 or 2 superstar/studs. I'm not saying the players we signed aren't legit or able to achieve that level of greatness, but we are missing on the "can't miss" prospects. 

I'd give this class an 8 defensively and a 6 or 7 offensively. The HS OL recruiting hurt this class

18 minutes ago, bigbird said:

4 teams we play perenially and the number of 5 stars each team signed. Championship teams have a lot of really good players but typically have 1 or 2 superstar/studs. I'm not saying the players we signed aren't legit or able to achieve that level of greatness, but we are missing on the "can't miss" prospects. 

I'd give this class an 8 defensively and a 6 or 7 offensively. The HS OL recruiting hurt this class

Well damn, when you put it like that...

Seriously, though. I know the whys and hows but it's hard not to recalculate when comparing to our 3 main rivals + another team in our division. And it's not happy math. 

48 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Is it weird that LSU only had two coming off a national championship?

19 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

Not really. You'll see that bump in another year or two. It takes to year 3 post championship to see the full effect

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

We had a 5* in Tank till just recently. Just bc he didn't have a good week on one of the all star teams, he dropped like 25 spots. 

So i feel we got a 5*....in our hearts. 💗

1 hour ago, AidiAU said:

No. National Championship immediate bumps are a myth. If they happen, it's 3 or 4 classes down the line as long as the team doesn't crap the bed in between the Natty & that 4th class.

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

No. National Championship immediate bumps are a myth. If they happen, it's 3 or 4 classes down the line as long as the team doesn't crap the bed in between the Natty & that 4th class.

You mean like 2012...

16 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It's truly sad how little we capitalized off of 2010 and 2013.

Based on Needs, I hate to say it but I cant go higher than 5. The failure to bring in more and higher rated O lineman is really bad especially when our depth of upper tier SEC trench-ready talent does not exist. That will continue to be the achilles heel of this team for several more seasons. I dont see top tier SEC talent in our OLine depth and we better hope Jones and Bell from last years Oline class become productive.  I do like the Juco Tackles in terms of immediate options and again praying they can come in and contribute immediately.  I thought we could have used a stud DTackle and dont see one in this class that is true top tier. Jackson would have been a beautiful fit. Other than needs,  I do like lots of the class in term of talent- Tank at RB, the Dbs as a group impressive, another group of athletic LBs,  a nice WR group, and I'm thinking these 2 TEs are going to be productive believe it or not. 

Again, not down at all on the class as a whole. Its actually pretty damn good. But, when you come at it from a Need perspective and our need being soooooo big on OLine, gotta cap it at 5. 

Archived