• Created
  • Last Reply

1. Biggest surprise
2. The biggest bust
3. The biggest disappointment
4. The most underrated
5. The most underutilized
6. The one you could have one more year

1) Kerryon Johnson - never thought he could be as durable, or would have the vision and patience he had.  He became a fantastic player.

2) Jovon Robinson 

3) Mario Fannin - Great in the open field. Ran too straight up, no RB instincts, fumblitis

4) Carl Stewart

5) Kam Martin

6) Kerryon - Wish he had stayed one more year with Stidham, but he did the right thing cashing in on his Junior season. 

On 2/6/2020 at 12:05 PM, AUFriction said:
2. Biggest Bust: Roc Thomas...  Five star talent that just couldn’t take that next step to being a great college player. 

4. Most Underrated: This one is hard. I think there’s a multiple way tie here. We’ve just had so many good ones that it’s easy for some to slip through the cracks. Brandon Jacobs because he never saw the field. Ben Tate was a beast that was just at Auburn at a bad time. Corey Grant because he was good enough to be an every down back. He was having a great NFL career before a brutal injury. CAP because he gets forgotten living in Tre’s shadow. Barber because nobody saw him having this kind of success in the NFL. Finally, Boobee Whitlow. I feel like the fans have been underwhelmed with Him. But I don’t think he got enough respect. He was very patient like Kerryon was, and ran with a lot of power. He didn’t have perfect vision, but he also has only played running back for like 2 years. The only legitimate ding to his ability is that he isn’t the fastest guy. 

I think the biggest knock on him isn’t his speed but his knack for letting the ball slip out of his hands. IMO him being able to spend a year with KJ helped him with his vision and patience. He is a very good RB and I don’t think anyone would say anything negative about him if he could hold on to the football. 

Great post @bigbird  now do QBs :laugh:

1. Biggest surprise: This has to be Tre Mason for me. I thought he would be a good RB for us but not a great one like he turned out to be.

2. The biggest bust: Roc Who was a 5* coming in turned out to be a 2* going out. ☹️

3. The biggest disappointment: this has to be Dyer. He wasn’t a bust since he helped us get to the promise land, but was a very big disappointment with how he turned out. :realmad:

4. The most underrated: There are so many of our backs that don’t get the love they deserve and that makes it hard to choose just one. If I’m made to pick one it would have to be Kenny Irons. He was a beast and doesn’t get the love he deserves. 

5. The most underutilized: Unless something changes this year, this will be Shaun “Worm” Shivers. I don’t remembering getting so angry about a player not being used as I get when we see flashes of how great he can be then gets yanked back to the sidelines. 😠

6. The one you could have one more year: All of them :laugh:  Seriously though Brandon Jacobs having to run behind 2 of the best backs to ever put on the AU Jersey was unfortunate. Would be nice to have him be RB1 even for just 1 year. KJ is a close 2nd. I love his running style and his smile and personality are infectious. 

On 2/7/2020 at 9:08 AM, McLoofus said:

Did we know he would be an SEC POY and have a nice NFL career? Maybe not. But he wasn't the complete unknown you make him out to be:

No one else in the P5 recruited him. Wish I could remember the school he had packed to leave for, someplace like Cincinnati or Eastern Kentucky. May not have even been a scholarship-level U, as I recall we got him after NSD and he couldn't have reneged on a LOI back then. 

A lot of comments on Shivers here. Assuming he stays, I think he’ll do good things. From what I have heard, the reason he hasn’t seen the field more is because he’s not been great at the other, non-rushing stuff. He’s struggled a little bit in pass pro because of his size, and he’s been inconsistent catching the ball. As such, when he comes in, it’s only been to run the ball, which telegraphs the play to the defense. If he’s in the game, they know it’s likely a run. To get him on the field more, he needs to get better on passing plays.

Maybe I'm missing something but I saw several times last year that worm was in during plays and had no problems stopping the rushing ends, lbs, or dbs. In fact I can think of several times he did better than our OL.  Maybe I'm just missing the times that some of you are talking about. 

8 hours ago, TigerHorn said:

No one else in the P5 recruited him. Wish I could remember the school he had packed to leave for, someplace like Cincinnati or Eastern Kentucky. May not have even been a scholarship-level U, as I recall we got him after NSD and he couldn't have reneged on a LOI back then. 

Oh wow. I stand corrected. I wonder why everyone was sleeping on a beast like that? Tubs was probably giggling like he stole something and got away with it.  

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Oh wow. I stand corrected. I wonder why everyone was sleeping on a beast like that? Tubs was probably giggling like he stole something and got away with it.  

I looked for the story, but all I could find was that we stumbled across him when we went to see Daniel Cobb play, and then there was this line in a xCTT story: "Tuberville found an unknown tailback in junior college named Rudi Johnson." According to the only recruiting database that goes that far back, AU was Rudi's only offer. 

1. Biggest surprise - Peyton Barber
2. The biggest bust - Mike Blakely (Not on your list)
3. The biggest disappointment - Michael Dyer
4. The most underrated - Tre Mason (Should've had a Heisman)
5. The most underutilized - I'd like to say Brandon Jacobs, but look who he was behind. 
6. The one you could have one more year - Kam Pettway

13 hours ago, Browning4AU said:

5. The most underutilized - I'd like to say Brandon Jacobs, but look who he was behind. 

Good call on Blakely. Goodness.

1. Biggest surprise - Kam Pettway
2. The biggest bust - Jovon Robinson
3. The biggest disappointment - Michael Dyer
4. The most underrated - Ben Tate
5. The most underutilized - Corey Grant
6. The one you could have one more year - Tre Mason

On 2/9/2020 at 5:23 PM, McLoofus said:

On 2/9/2020 at 10:17 PM, TigerHorn said:

I looked for the story, but all I could find was that we stumbled across him when we went to see Daniel Cobb play, and then there was this line in a xCTT story: "Tuberville found an unknown tailback in junior college named Rudi Johnson." According to the only recruiting database that goes that far back, AU was Rudi's only offer. 

On 2/9/2020 at 10:49 PM, johnnyAU said:

I had never even heard of Rudi Johnson. He came out in that Wyoming game like a rolling ball of butcher knives.  Heck of a year for that guy. 

Auburn talked him up real big, I always assumed that meant he was being recruited elsewhere... but with no internet back then I relied on radio mostly... and a Auburn radio station is of course gonna pump up the recruits.

Rudi Johnson btw was coming off 2 straight national championships and 2 consecutive NC MVPs, as well as a record breaking rushing year in '99 and being named player of the year (he's now in the HoF).... it's crazy to me if no one but Tubbs gave him a look.

19 hours ago, Browning4AU said:

Nice choice with Blakely. Wow. Completely forgot about him

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Nice choice with Blakely. Wow. Completely forgot about him

.....because 2012 never existed....

1 hour ago, Mims44 said:

Auburn talked him up real big, I always assumed that meant he was being recruited elsewhere... but with no internet back then I relied on radio mostly... and a Auburn radio station is of course gonna pump up the recruits.

Rudi Johnson btw was coming off 2 straight national championships and 2 consecutive NC MVPs, as well as a record breaking rushing year in '99 and being named player of the year (he's now in the HoF).... it's crazy to me if no one but Tubbs gave him a look.

Actually Casinious Moore was supposed to be our starter and bellcow back that year. He had flashes, but never could stay healthy enough during his career here. Joe Whitt first casually mentioned this Rudi guy would be our starter at an alumni club meeting late that summer, and even that was qualified by a potential return of a healthy Moore. Until then, he was just a late pickup that we got along with Daniel Cobb. The Recruiting Eagle was still around then I think, and Mark Murphy may have just started his site. I don't recall which was up and which wasn't, but I was active on the one that was - went straight from the death of the RE to Mark's site. There wasn't a lot of buzz at all on Rudi online until he looked good in Fall camp, but no one really started talking about him until Wyoming. 

20 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

Actually Casinious Moore was supposed to be our starter and bellcow back that year. He had flashes, but never could stay healthy enough during his career here. Joe Whitt first casually mentioned this Rudi guy would be our starter at an alumni club meeting late that summer, and even that was qualified by a potential return of a healthy Moore. Until then, he was just a late pickup that we got along with Daniel Cobb. The Recruiting Eagle was still around then I think, and Mark Murphy may have just started his site. I don't recall which was up and which wasn't, but I was active on the one that was - went straight from the death of the RE to Mark's site. There wasn't a lot of buzz at all on Rudi online until he looked good in Fall camp, but no one really started talking about him until Wyoming. 

That's crazy to think about. I always assumed Rudi was a huge recruit... but looking back all I can really remember is that one radio broadcast talking him up (among other recruits).

Also shows how the internet has changed the JUCO recruiting game, Rudis resume in this day and age would be non-stop talk about where he might go.

1. Biggest surprise - Kenny Irons. Nobody expected anything out of the backfield that just lost 2 top 5 picks the year prior. Especially from some no-name transfer from South Carolina. But Irons was incredible. 
2. The biggest bust - Malik Miller. A bust so big he didn't make the list. Good kid, it's just he came in from Madison Academy right after Kerryon did. I thought a lot of people (Kerryon included if I remember correctly) dubbed him to be the next great power back. Good kid, just too slow. 
3. The biggest disappointment - Michael Dyer. Obvious reasons.
4. The most underrated - Corey Grant. Dude could FLY and also bowl you over. Was a vital member of 2013 team.
5. The most underutilized - Kam Pettway. Were it not for like 4 dismissals/draft exits/injuries, he never would have even carried the ball. Had like the best YPG average at Auburn ever. Only got him for really just one season.
6. The one you could have one more year - Kerryon in 2018. We would have beaten Miss State, LSU, and Tennessee. Would have gone into the UGA game undefeated with vengeance on our mind. I know that team had a lot of problems besides running back, but if you look at the offense, really the only difference from 2017 was Kerryon was no longer there. 

On 2/9/2020 at 8:00 AM, TigerHorn said:

We were recruiting Daniel Cobb and he was a teammate. Cobb suggested him. Tuberville or whoever the OC was asked for his measurements. He told them and the response was “ we don’t need another fullback “. 

Surprise - CAP

Bust - Jovon Robinson

Disappointment - Mario Fannin

Underrated - Kenny Irons

Underutilized - Brad Lester

One More Year - Caddy

On 2/10/2020 at 6:43 PM, Browning4AU said:

I like Pettway for a couple of these choices. One more year with a healthy and unselfish Pettway would have been nice to see.  He had Jerome Bettis type feet.

But biggest disappointment in that if he could have just taken care of his business, we would have won the SEC with him stepping in for an injured KJ. No way UGA stops AU with a healthy KP. It would have propelled us into the playoffs. That is disappointment right there...

I just keep thinking what that 01 backfield could have looked like. Rudi, Heath, Caddy, and Ronnie dare say would have improved that 7-5 record.

29 minutes ago, wde1968 said:

I just keep thinking what that 01 backfield could have looked like. Rudi, Heath, Caddy, and Ronnie dare say would have improved that 7-5 record.

Not sure we flip caddy if Rudy didn’t bolt. 

Archived