Talking 2020 RBs

steeleagle

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

We should be in good shape. We have Worm Shivers, Joiner, D.J. Williams, the red-shirted Mark A. Richards and Tank. That's five quality RB prospects unless I'm forgetting someone. I wish it had turned out better for Boobie but with that many on board someone, or maybe two, were going to bail out anyway.

We are in good shape if only DJ gets better and MAR and Tank show they can be that #2 back or possibly #1. 

Shivers simply is not the back you can keep out their 3 downs. Weak in pass blocking. Weak in making D miss. 

Joiner seems like he is just too slow to be the main back. He and MMiller have shown they have abilities only in specific areas. 

It's got to be DJ, MAR and/or Tank...and that's asking a lot of a very inexperienced group. We will see how it shapes in spring.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

We are in good shape if only DJ gets better and MAR and Tank show they can be that #2 back or possibly #1. 

Shivers simply is not the back you can keep out their 3 downs. Weak in pass blocking. Weak in making D miss. 

Joiner seems like he is just too slow to be the main back. He and MMiller have shown they have abilities only in specific areas. 

It's got to be DJ, MAR and/or Tank...and that's asking a lot of a very inexperienced group. We will see how it shapes in spring.

I have heard in the past that Joiner was soft since proven wrong but have never heard that he was slow.

11 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I have heard in the past that Joiner was soft since proven wrong but have never heard that he was slow.

Not that he is slow, but slower getting to the LOS. It takes him a little to get going, since he is taller than normal RBs.

And true, its not that he is soft, but he doesn't have the power like Boobie or DJ has in their legs... 

18 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

It wasn't completely proven wrong. He went back to be soft some in practice last year.

6 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

And true, its not that he is soft, but he doesn't have the power like Boobie or DJ has in their legs... 

Oh he's got it! Just doesn't use it as well as he should.

23 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I disagree. 

I absolutely think he and MAR could be our best 3rd down backs if used properly. 3rd down backs typically aren't asked to be blockers. Thankfully, we now have an OC that understands that. Wish he was here to take advantage of KMart

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

Shivers is no weaker than your comment about him.... keep it to yourself! 

1 minute ago, tinman said:

Go momma!😀

People just kill me saying dumb things.... when has he seen him doing any of what he has said he can’t do.... Never! He only gets in for 1 play & then comes out. He has to get going just like everybody else does and because he hasn’t had the opportunity too, how can you say what he can’t do! They make me sick 

6 minutes ago, Momma Worm said:

People just kill me saying dumb things.... when has he seen him doing any of what he has said he can’t do.... Never! He only gets in for 1 play & then comes out. He has to get going just like everybody else does and because he hasn’t had the opportunity too, how can you say what he can’t do! They make me sick 

Amen, Momma!!

2 hours ago, Momma Worm said:

Don't let it get you down.  People that post on message boards (myself included) in most instances have no idea what they're talking about.  I just know this...the running back I saw in the Iron Bowl that absolutely destroyed a VERY good bama defensive back deserves to play more than 1 play at a time.  And the same running back can take it to the house on any 1 play also (as he did versus bama last year on a penalty play.).  Hopefully under Chad he'll get the opportunity.

40 minutes ago, tinman said:

Don't let it get you down.  People that post on message boards (myself included) in most instances have no idea what they're talking about.  I just know this...the running back I saw in the Iron Bowl that absolutely destroyed a VERY good bama defensive back deserves to play more than 1 play at a time.  And the same running back can take it to the house on any 1 play also (as he did versus bama last year on a penalty play.).  Hopefully under Chad he'll get the opportunity.

I’m good trust me lol.... I just had time to entertain because I knew someone was going to have something to say after the departure of Boobie.... that’s who he is as a player but I’ve been telling people that all along. He just needs the opportunity that’s all.... he was tired at this point & determined to show people who he was.... he did so many things in that play that people didn’t pay attention too!  Even I had to go back & rewatch & I was like damn! I’ve seen him run through people before but this was different. I like this one better, God answered my prayers & it shut a lot of haters up. Nobody else could have run that play, that day, at that time but him! 

Momma, that ranks up there with William Andrews running over Andy Spiva of Tennessee and Ronnie Brown running over Jason Allen of Tennessee as 3 of the greatest plays by an Auburn running back showing pure strength and power.  Loved it.  Hopefully this year we'll get to see Worm play more than 1 play at a time.

I'm not worried at all about our RB's. Williams, Shivers, Joiner, MAR, and Tank.  That's something to get excited about.

I'm just hoping we get the OL retooled and find a decent passing attack. Looks like we'll try and use the TE with the new additions....of course, we've been hoping that for several years now.  Hey...maybe.

I just wish Shivers was big enough to play RB

EP5Id2nWoAAEU9c?format=jpg&name=medium

Alabama's defense don't won't to see Shivers as an every down RB. Remember when the Worm knocked the helmet off the head of that Bammer kid who got in Worms way? I loved it.

10 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Remember when the Worm knocked the helmet off the head of that Bammer kid who got in Worms way? I loved it.

I'd forgotten about that; thanks for the reminder!

23 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Shivers simply is not the back you can keep out their 3 downs. 

You're just being goofy huh.

I'll take this effort all day, every play, from any position.

AU vs LSU 2:38 1st Quarter

23 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Shivers simply is not the back you can keep out their 3 downs. 

As bad as this take is, it might be even worse that Gus has Auburn fans assuming not only that 3rd down is going to be a passing down, but that the pass play is going to be slow in developing. 

13 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

You're just being goofy huh.

I'll take this effort all day, every play, from any position.

AU vs LSU 2:38 1st Quarter

What does that mean? I'm just giving an opinion. Like most do on here. Doesn't mean it's gospel. Lighten up.

I really like Shivers. I know he works hard and gives everything he has, and I appreciate a player for that. I will always cherish his run in the Iron Bowl, where he 'waxed!!' that Alabama dude on his way to our winning TD. I only gave my thoughts,based on what I see. It's up to Gus to use him more effectively, especially when some games Shiver only gets 1-2 carries which is ridiculous.

Hopefully Morris will better know how to use our backs in HIS offense.  

1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

What does that mean? I'm just giving an opinion. Like most do on here. Doesn't mean it's gospel. Lighten up.

I really like Shivers. I know he works hard and gives everything he has, and I appreciate a player for that. I will always cherish his run in the Iron Bowl, where he 'waxed!!' that Alabama dude on his way to our winning TD. I only gave my thoughts,based on what I see. It's up to Gus to use him more effectively, especially when some games Shiver only gets 1-2 carries which is ridiculous.

Hopefully Morris will better know how to use our backs in HIS offense.  

It’s ok you can give your opinion on every player but him on this board, trust me.  I have given 95% compliments and mention some things that I think he needs to work on and get attacked.  Apparently he is perfect, the only football player in the world with no weaknesses.

All I'll say is our depth is good, but I have yet to see a real threat in our running game that will worry top defenses. There should be excellent competition in the Spring and Fall, so I'm hoping something is forged from that better than we've seen the last couple of years. 

Archived